1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Justify: Text Automatically Resizes

Especially for headlines, I often will manually resize whole lines of text to fill the same width. I use this technique so much that I'd like an option to do it automatically.

This feature is actually offered on Instagram stories, albeit imperfectly (I've attached a screenshot). You can adjust the line breaks by changing the text size or adding the breaks manually.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Shading and Underline conflict

Some underline strokes become invisible when Paragraph Shading is applied.
    If removed shading then strokes appear.
    That's a bug, shading always must go bottom.
    Two screenshots are from Indesign, with and without paragraph shading. The last screenshot is from Acrobat, i've deleted manually gray frames to reveal the hidden strokes.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Show only Font familys in Font preview

Since the latest layout change the font searchbar improved, BUT it takes way longer to actually find a font, becouse every Version of the font is displayed, instead of the whole Family (so Arial Bold, Arial Medium etc... instead of Arial, Futura, etc). This is especially confusing, when working with similar named font familys or diffenrt varants of familys. I would suggest a option in the preferences of all Adobe programs to change etween family preview and single style preview, with the first set as default.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Need to add a Haitian Creole dictionary to InDesign

Hello all;

At HistoryMiami Museum, we produce a lot of material in the three most spoken languages in our community, English, Spanish and Haitian Creole, following the Miami-Dade County government best practices. InDesign has already incorporated dictionaries in English and Spanish. We are looking for a comprehensive Haitian Creole dictionary to add to InDesign, for spellcheck purposes. We would appreciate any help with this matter. Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Import Text Variables using .csv

Currently the only way I can see to import a list of text variables is via another .indd. It's tedious to manage a ~10,000 text variables (prices in a catalogue) within the text variable window in InDesign. It would be great to manage these variables in Excel and then be able to import the .csv into InDesign, to change the variables instantly.

The import table feature is a good way to do this, but only if the prices are displayed in a table. My prices are all separate text frames.

Thanks
    Nick

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Improvements to "space between" feature

Hello, InDesign people!

The new "space between paragraphs using the same style" feature is a wonderful thing, and it is useful, but I feel it could be improved upon. In practice, there may be several different paragraph styles that should be regarded as the "same style" for this purpose. For instance, say I am designing a book with poetry extracts (block quotes) mixed into the main text. Before we had the "space between" feature, I had to make a paragraph style for the first line of a poem (with space before), a second style for the subsequent lines (no paragraph…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Would it be possible to add the font "bauhaus 93" ?

Would it be possible to add bauhaus 93 to the font list?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Variable font issues with named instances 'Regular' and 'Book'

A variable font including instances named 'Book' and 'Regular' breaks the functionality of the instance 'Regular'. Slider change does not change the weight of the font. The same font works well in Adobe Illustrator.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Find missing characters

Sometimes a character is unavailable and InDesign highlights this with a pink box. However there seems to be no way to Search for these - one has to visually spot them on a page to be able to fix them. Please implement a Find feature

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to search for text with shading or border applied

In the find/replace dialog box, please add the ability to find text that has borders and or shading applied.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Increment Settings for Tracking/Kerning Applied to Control Panel Interface

Idea referenced in the link below.

This idea is already implemented in the preferences menu under Units & Increments but it's only applied to keyboard shortcuts. I don't see why this setting wouldn't be included for the tracking and kerning settings in the control panel. As mentioned in the link, needing to let go of the mouse just to adjust tracking is a nuisance.

I never increase tracking by 10 when typesetting to adjust for the rag of a text block. Having the increments hard set to 10 effectively makes the control panel useless to me when typesetting. Oddly this…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Paragraph Rules in Find/Change

Please add Paragraph Rules to the Find Change dialog box. I often need to change rule thickness or color to paragraph rules that are not in a paragraph or character style. Manually changing each selection takes quite a bit of time and should be automated. Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. non-contigious text selections

I'm absolutely amazed that a product (inDesign) with the power to do everything from making a cup of coffee to managing the invasion of a small African republic does not provide a user with the ability to select non-contigious text. Given the value of this as a feature, I can only assume that it has been requested many times over but that Adobe has deemed it not important enough to warrant inclusion. Surely it is a rather simple coding exercise to include this.

I write books using inDesign and I waste many hours selecting different text items and making the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Align Text exactly to the left or right edge of the frame

It's a very logn known issue in InDesign: Different font sizes have different spacings to left or right edge of the frame. The more the font size grows, the more the space to left or right edge of the text frame grows.
    From time to time in the past years my clients have noticed that in drafts for correction. This means a lot of additional manual work for large projects in order to align the font correctly.
    It would be great and an enormous relief if in one of the next versions the text frames are either already correctly preset,…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Change character in default font

I'm looking for a way to change a character in my default font. I use the font family Proxima Nova (an Adobe font, what I have activated). In InDesign you can choose between two character for the letter 'a'. There I can change the font with find glyph en replace it for the other one.

It would be awesome to set that letter 'a' as a default 'a' in that typefont. Because this is an extra action I make for all my designs. Is there a way to change a character and set it as my default character in that…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Option to add hidden character on/off button the toolbar

Just a little toggle button on the toolbar so you don't have to click Type > Show/Hide Hidden Characters, for those of us who turn it on and off repeatedly. I swear an older version had it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Clear All Style Sets—Right from the Style Set Menu

Since there are a lot of windows to get to the OpenType Style Sets, we need a button that can clear all the opentype features we've tried out. This can be put into the Stylistic Sets Menu. (See attached picture.)

This isn't just valuable to me. This is valuable to:
    1. Other users can feel free to use style sets, knowing that they can quickly clear all options, not spend minutes clicking through menus—Just to turn something off!
    2. Font designers might add more features into their fonts if the features are easier to use.
    3. You've already made that…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make GREP dot (Any Character) match Footnote Reference marker.

Make the GREP dot (Any Character) match ~F (Footnote Reference marker).

There is no reason that a query like .+ would stop when reaching a footnote marker. This should select the entire paragraph. This behaviour have been in InDesign forever and should be changed.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enable column rules to ignore text wrap and anchored objects.

As it is now, column rules adhere to text wrap and will no longer "extend" if near an image with text wrap applied. Furthermore, placing an anchored object, an inline image for example, causes the rule to exhibit the same behavior in that it stops once it reaches the anchored object. Would like an option for column rules to simply ignore text wrap/anchored object so that the rules continue to extend.

This would help me (and others) to keep a consistent appearance as needed. In the attached example, there's a 3 column product listing where you can see how awkward…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Touch type tool for Opentype feature does not show up while setting the paragraph in "Adobe World-Ready Single-line/ Paragraph Composer"

Touch type tool for Opentype feature does not show up while setting the paragraph in "Adobe World-Ready Single-line/ Paragraph Composer". The script, in this case, found while using Thai with the Opentype font with alternate glyphs.

We can access the feature, but have to go through the top right hamburger conner to select the stylistic set manually. It is disturbing work-flow while typing in bilingual languages; Thai and Latin.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base