1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Table of Contents - Limit to subject lines to Character Style, option

Currently, the TOC will display an entire paragraph of text based on the Paragraph Style. I've assigned a unique Character style to give distinction to the first two sentences of the paragraph using Nested Styles within the Paragraph Style.

In the attached example, you'll see that "Subject 1. Setup." has a distinct Character style, this is the only text that I want to appear in the TOC. Perhaps there's a way to accomplish this. But It would be nice to have the option to populate text based on Character Style only.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Align Text exactly to the left or right edge of the frame

It's a very logn known issue in InDesign: Different font sizes have different spacings to left or right edge of the frame. The more the font size grows, the more the space to left or right edge of the text frame grows.
    From time to time in the past years my clients have noticed that in drafts for correction. This means a lot of additional manual work for large projects in order to align the font correctly.
    It would be great and an enormous relief if in one of the next versions the text frames are either already correctly preset,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Import Text Variables using .csv

Currently the only way I can see to import a list of text variables is via another .indd. It's tedious to manage a ~10,000 text variables (prices in a catalogue) within the text variable window in InDesign. It would be great to manage these variables in Excel and then be able to import the .csv into InDesign, to change the variables instantly.

The import table feature is a good way to do this, but only if the prices are displayed in a table. My prices are all separate text frames.

Thanks
    Nick

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Letter spacing for initial letter in a textbox

Please give the ability to set a negative letter spacing for the initial letter in a textbox. Currently letter spacing is only possible between letters.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Kurdish Language Spelling

Hello!
    Adobe InDesign has many users writing and experiencing the Central Kurdish language which are living and a great part population of Iraq which is the Kurdistan Region, but unfortunately, the Kurdish language spelling dictionary isn't available in InDesign.
    I hope you can add an option for users writing with this language to let InDesign get their phrases and sentences to be added to the Kurdish language dictionary and be available for other users.
    Or if you create a translation web page to add the Kurdish language phrase and sentence spellings to be available in Adobe InDesign and other adobe…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Option to disable missing-font notification

Please add an option in the preferences that enables the user to ignore missing fonts when opening a document. It's possible to disable notification of missing images -- please do the same for fonts.

Reason: I often get documents from customers and don't have the fonts. Dismissing the dialogs that tell me that the document I'm opening contains missing fonts gets tedious. I easily dismiss the dialogs dozens and dozens of times.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improvements to "space between" feature

Hello, InDesign people!

The new "space between paragraphs using the same style" feature is a wonderful thing, and it is useful, but I feel it could be improved upon. In practice, there may be several different paragraph styles that should be regarded as the "same style" for this purpose. For instance, say I am designing a book with poetry extracts (block quotes) mixed into the main text. Before we had the "space between" feature, I had to make a paragraph style for the first line of a poem (with space before), a second style for the subsequent lines (no paragraph…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support Excel's Strict Open XML Spreadsheet format

InDesign should be able to Place an Excel file that's been saved as a Strict Open XML Spreadsheet (which appears to be a subset of the normal .xlsx workbook format). Currently, attempting to place an Excel file that's been saved as a Strict Open XML Spreadsheet results in a "Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation" error.

A sample Strict Open XML Spreadsheet file is attached.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Enable column rules to ignore text wrap and anchored objects.

As it is now, column rules adhere to text wrap and will no longer "extend" if near an image with text wrap applied. Furthermore, placing an anchored object, an inline image for example, causes the rule to exhibit the same behavior in that it stops once it reaches the anchored object. Would like an option for column rules to simply ignore text wrap/anchored object so that the rules continue to extend.

This would help me (and others) to keep a consistent appearance as needed. In the attached example, there's a 3 column product listing where you can see how awkward…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add an option to hide Text via caracter format setting

Add a checkbox to the character format settings that allows users to hide text. In some situations it is very useful to use grep rules to hide certain text elements. Until now, the color of the font had to be removed and had to set the size to 0.1.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Find missing characters

Sometimes a character is unavailable and InDesign highlights this with a pink box. However there seems to be no way to Search for these - one has to visually spot them on a page to be able to fix them. Please implement a Find feature

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Find

Find searches for anything that is NOT the term. eg. Find NOT 12 pt will select text that is not 12pt

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Footnotes and Endnotes

1a. Export as RichTextFormat ... should include Footnotes and Endnotes.
    1b. Export as HTML ... should include hyperlinked Footnotes and Endnotes.
    1c. Should have option to convert Footnotes and Endnotes to static text. This option should also be available when exporting as per above.
    1d. Above exports should also include any images that are part of the text flow, with an option of converting them to JPEG at a particular resolution.
    2. This would save having to muck around with the HTML code, or manually create static endnote numbers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow negative indentation!

Please allow negative indentation!

That would make all kinds of hanging bullets, chapter numbers and outdentations easy without any workaround (like "indent everything but the headlines and lists" ...). It would make text layout faster, purer and cleaner, as the type area could be correctly defined just for the copy text.

I think this simple change should be easy to implement and bring enormous relief for our craft.

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Diagonal Strikethrough

An upgrade to the existing strike through option with new settings that allow for diagonal lines. I've added a mockup of the character style options.

This would be an awesome little update wich has many uses and make the life of a lot of InDesigners easier.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. arabic support

Add support for toggling right-to-left text in all versions of InDesign.

Do not hide/remove/restrict it for users who don't use an african/middle-eastern language version of the program. Having to install multiple InDesign-versions depending on what document you work with is stilly. Is there any reason for this at all?

We have designers that occasionally have to set documents translated to Arabic. Right now this is near-impossible as we use an English version of InDesign.

It appears the support is there "under the hood" and you have just hidden it in the UI, since I can get "right-to-left" paragraph settings in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Include Endnotes in Find/Change

Include Endnotes in Search options for finding and changing text

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add a feature to the paragraph shading or the underlining where you can set the angle. For italic Fonts.

Would be a big relief if you could set an angle in the paragraph shading or the underlining. With this it would be possible to underline an italic Font individually and correctly.
    Right now im forced to create a transformed rectangle under the italic Font to underline or highlight it with its angle. I cant do it with underlinings or shadowing for italic Fonts..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to assign a shortcut to [None] in the Character Styles window.

Because you sometimes want to REMOVE a character style and it would be very beneficial to be able to use a shortcut for that as well.

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base