Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

193 results found

1. World-Ready Composer Is messing up the kerning in Latin fonts

I have reported a variation of this—back with CS6—but it seems not to have been fixed. I assume it's a bug, but if someone can enlighten me about what I might be doing wrong and how I can fix this, I'd appreciate it.

I often work on books that include Arabic and Hebrew words and phrases in the middle of English text. They only way to get the Arabic ligatures to form is to use one of the World Ready composers. When I do that, though, the kerning around some English characters often—but not always—is affected. I have tried turning…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

2. Cells formatted as Number/Currency etc. in Excel without decimal places or as Date not imported correctly into InDesign.

InDesign CC : 2020 / 15.0.0.155
    MacOS : 10.13.6
    MS Excel : 16.30 for Mac

We were able since ever (last version ID CC 2019) to import Excel data-cells by InDesign with the placing functionality. With the actual version of InDesign CC 2020 numbers without any decimal places (e.g. 153) are not imported from Excel files and are displayed in InDesign with a "0" - (e.g. 153 imports to InDesign as 0). If the numbers in the Excel files have at least 1 decimal place numbers are imported correctly (e.g. 153.6 imports to InDesign as 153.6). Please fix this InDesign…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Import PDF Comments - New Bugs identified

We're facing below issues in the new feature, called 'Import PDF Comments':

(1) If text frames are overlapped and grouped, PDF comments are not embedding correctly, also updating in wrong places (please refer the attachment 1Error1.png)
    (2) PDF comments are not embedding correctly for the grouped frames (please refer the attachment 2
    Error2.png)
    (3) PDF comments are not embedding correctly for the sub-frames (please refer the attachment 3Error3.png)
    (4) PDF comments are not embedding correctly inside table cells (please refer the attachment 4
    Error4.png)
    (5) PDF comments are not embedding correctly when the fonts are missing (please refer…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

4. Graphics glitches galore on M1 MacBook Air + external 4K monitor

InDesign 17 on an M1 MacBook Air with Big Sur is barely usable with an external 4K monitor. There are graphic artifacts everywhere, especially near the margins/edge of boxes which makes it hard to know if anything is aligned properly. Everything looks okay on the laptop's built-in display but is distorted on the external.

Also, when scrolling, the screen updates sporadically and usually does the Windows 95-looking stuck window effect.

If I turn off the GPU it looks better when working statically but when scrolling it is even worse.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Khmer Script Punctuation Line Breaking Is Broken

Regression Bug (used to work in InDesign CS 5.5)

Adobe InDesign CC 15.03 currently will break lines between Khmer script and its punctuation even though no space is present (Khmer Unicode Punctuation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_script#Spacing_and_punctuation ) as pictured in the attachment.

Desired Result: Khmer punctuation should stay with the Khmer script preceding it (just like an English period, comma, question mark, etc. does). The whole word should line break with the punctuation (currently Khmer uses zero-width spaces [U+200B] to indicate a word-boundary).

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. ALT Text not appearing in group

InDesign 2020

Issue: I have a screenshot with alt text included (typed in the Object Export Options dialogue). I then have a simple red box (rectangle tool, no fill, 2pt stroke) highlighting a section of that screenshot. When I group those objects, and export a tagged PDF, I get an error in Acrobat stating that no alt text exists.

Expected result: Alt text should appear.

Actual result: No alt text is present, or the assigned alt text is not recognized and is flagged by Acrobat's accessibility checker.

This issue did not exist with ID 2019.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Right Arrow / Left Arrow in tables

InDesign version 14.0.

The keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+Right Arrow" to move one word to the right does not work when the text cursor is in a table. Same for "Ctrl+Left Arrow", to move one word to the left.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  amaarora responded

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020.

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. HTML Export Endnotes with Hyperlinks

Version: InDesign CC 2018 - 13.1

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Use the endnote feature and in one of the endnotes (preferably after the first one), add a hyperlink.

2. Export the InDesign document to HTML

Expected Result: All endnote references are hyperlinked and the numbers for each endnote are backlinked back to the reference.

Actual Result: Endnote number is missing for all endnotes after the hyperlink that was added to the endnote and no linking occurs after the manual hyperlink.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

9. The link is set to "anyone with link can comment" but it's still requiring a password

I have created a share for review link for others to comment on, however it's requiring them to log into an account even though it's set to "Anyone with the link can comment". This was not the case before, others could comment as a guest. Using InDesign 2024 v19.0.1

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. GPU Performance makes colours dull/desaturated

With GPU Performance enabled, all colours appear desaturated. In fact, it looks like colour management is simply turned off. Please note, this is not a Transparency Blend Space issue. It affects Spot, RGB and CMYK colours.

With GPU Performance disabled, colours appear vibrant and correct. It would be great to have this issue resolved, as I certainly want to take advantage of the GPU when using InDesign.

InDesign 2023 v18.0
    MacOS Ventura 13.0
    MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB RAM

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Missing Glyphs on PDF export in InDesign v17.0

using the google font Signika, quotation marks and colons give me a missing glyph upon export to pdf. When using v16.4, this is not an issue.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Burmese font rendering error

InDesign CC 15
    WorldScript doesn't compose Burmese Unicode characters correctly, shifting the location of some characters and not positioning some accents correctly, do you have a plan to fix this as it has been like it for a long time? Other languages like Lao and Khmer have been fixed over time, but not Burmese.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Unable to change fonts

I am unable to change fonts.

Changing weights seems to work, but changing fonts does not work.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

14. Import XLSX spreadsheet to an InDesign table: the "-1" problem

1. InDesign CS4 - CC2017

2. Generate an Excel spreadsheet that contains at least one cell with the value "-1". Save as XLSX. Import/place (cmd-d) this file as "unformatted table".

3. the cells with the value "-1" should still have this value.

4. the cells are empty. All other values seem to show up correctly.

Additional information: Working regularly on Annual Reports with 100+ tables, our choice is to import as „unformatted table“ and to do all formatting in InDesign. After changes in Excel, all we have to do is updating the linked tables via the link panel. Table contents change, formatting stays. Perfect.…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Hanging drop cap has wrong indents in 2023 v18

In v18 (2023), when a paragraph has both a drop cap and a hanging indent (negative first line indent), the indent gets messed up on subsequent lines.

This came from a bug report by Lut Van Nooten on the InDesign Secrets LinkedIn group:
    https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7006264075831648258/

The solution is to disable the new Composition Preference: "Honor Text Indents in addition to Text Wrap"

However, in this case, this is clearly a bug because there is no text wrap!

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Share for Review - Critical Scrolling Bug with Large Documents

Indesign Version 17.0

When scrolling in large documents (200-500 pages) the browser-window of Share for Review the screen hops between 3-5 different screens multiple times a second. This bug makes the feature basically unusable. Sometimes it snaps back (maybe after rendering correctly?), sometimes it just doen't.

The bigger the document, the faster the error seems to occur. Working on my 200 page-document with my team is essentially impossible right now.

There is a post about this over here with a video: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/share-for-review-scrolling-bug-with-large-document/m-p/12516079#M452898

Our team has this problem on Mac, Windows - and on Safari, Chrome and Firefox (didn't check other…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Text box disappears, styling not displayed in real time

I am using the latest Indesign update for M1, 16.3.2 (Big Sur 11.4)
    I am now having problems where the text box that I am styling disappears. I either have to zoom in or out, flip pages, or now go as far as closing the file and opening it, because Indesign is either not displaying the changes made, or the text disappears. Placing a cursor within text is also not accurate, and either a character to the left or right.
    These are new issues, please advise.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Type 1 Fonts

Preflight has the ability to flag Type 1 fonts. This is a great way to see if you are using fonts in a document that will not be supported in the future. The problem is there are OpenType Type 1 fonts and PostScript Type 1 fonts. In Preflight, when you click on Type 1 fonts not allowed, it also flags OpenType Type 1 fonts.

Would be very important to identify exactly what fonts will not be supported in the future.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Exported interactive PDF does not honour reading order.

1 – InDesign 2020 15.0
    2 – Have standard copy with headings and body copy with PDF export tags applied (H1, H2, P etc). Add images between sections of text. Drag elements into the Articles panel in the correct reading order and tick 'Use for Reading Order in Tagged PDF.
    3 – Images should be in the right order
    4 – Images are not in the right order. All figures are in a <Art> tag. This was not an issue in InDesign 2019.
    5 – Order should be first block of text, image (1) and then second block of text…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Split column doesn't work correctly.

Urgent: ID 2020 splitting multiple columns doesn't work!
    I attach screenshot showing:
    - paragraph style split column
    - screenshot with style applied in ID 2019 14.3
    - screenshot with the same style and same text in ID 2020

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here