Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Footnotes flows on the following page even if there is still space on the page where is the reference number

Indesign CC 14.0.1
    MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.6

unfortunately it happens very often that the text of the footnotes flows on the following page even if there is still space (several lines) on the page where is the footnote’s reference number.
    for this bug, the result of many jobs is very bad

3 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since you are using a Single-Column Text Frame, please see if unchecking the option “Span Footnotes Across Columns” in the Layout tab of Footnote Options dialog helps you overcome this issue.

Adobe InDesign team

• Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe

Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe :

Hello, just like this guy below :

Help! Unable to activate fonts InDesign 2019

I can't sync fonts on indesign from Adobe Fonts. Nothing works. Tried everything.

Tried syncing them from the Adobe Font website, tried in Indesign, uninstalled all indesign versions, restarted preferences, uninstalled adobe cloud.

tried everything,

Deactivating fonts on adobe font website, reactivating them. Doing the same in the cloud app. No fix.

FONTS HAVING ISSUES : Source Sans pro, Open Sans, League Gothic, Fire Sans , Fire Sans 2.

The error message is : "unable to sync one…

3 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve seen this issue happen when you have the same Font already installed on your machine.

So you may try going to where your Fonts are installed on Windows machine – (Control panel > Fonts) and uninstall/remove the Fonts that you are unable to Sync from Adobe Fonts.

Hopefully, the problem should get resolved.

Adobe InDesign team

• GREP: Repetition (*, +) at the end of a Positive Lookbehind group doesn't seem to work

Product: Adobe InDesign CC 2019 (14.01)

Steps to reproduce:
        - Create a document with the text "abcde"
        - (Case 1) Do a GREP search for "(?<=bc+)d"
        - (Case 1) Do a GREP search for "(?<=bc*)d"

Expected result: highlight the "d"

Actual result: Cannot find match.

Note that searching for "(?<=bc)d" does work, as do of course "(?<b)c*d" and "(?=b)c+d".

Note also that this applied to GREP Styles in a paragraph style.

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Can't drag objects

I am unable to drag objects/textbox/etc in InDesign. I can resize using corner handles but I'm unable to click and drag object to desired location I've uninstalled, reinstalled, shutdown, restarted, cleared all settings, etc and nothing seems to work. I have never encountered this issue in all my years of using InDesign. Please help!

39 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

97 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We would need more details from you all to help with our investigation into the issue. Please provide the information as mentioned below.

1. OS Version?
            2. Are you able to resize the object which you are not able to drag?
            3. Is your Application Frame On or Off?
            4. Does is issue happen with a specific kind of Object, let’s say Text, Rectangle, graphic frame.

• Mouse-click in menus becomes disabled

InDesign 12.1.0.56; macOS Sierra 10.12.5; Magic Mouse

The issue varies with any file. I have mostly seen this occur when in the Find/Change window, or when I try and select a font. My mouse will not be able to click (select) anything in the drop down menus. I am able to select with my keyboard by using the arrows and "return" key. To get the mouse to click (select) an option from a drop down menu, I must first restart InDesign and then open the same file.

72 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

91 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have tried to replicate the issue at our end but have not been able to, so far.
              We need your help to investigate what could be causing this.
              When you encounter this issue, quit InDesign and copy the Preferences and Cache to a shared location (like Dropbox, WeTransfer, etc.) and share the link with us.

• the file does not exist

Adobe InDesign CC 2019, pagina inizio, impossibile aprire i file presenti nella cronologia: "il file non esiste, è usato da un'altra applicazione oppure non disponete delle autorizzazione necessarie".

0 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It looks like you may be trying to open files that are shown on the Start screen but are unable to do so.

Please check that the file(s) actually exist at the same location as when they were previously opened/created. If they have been deleted/moved/renamed, etc., the Start screen will continue to show their thumbnails but you won’t be able to open them.

Let us know if this is not the case.

Adobe InDesign team

• convert

Click "convert" to open this document..... doesn't do anything!!

The error message then tells you "You are not currently signed in to the
                CC (which I already am). Please go to Help- > Sign In and enter your Adobe ID. Restart InDesign, then try opening the document again."

Performing this action does nothing, the error never goes away, you just go in circles.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It looks like InDesign is not recognizing that you are already signed in.
                  Please try signing out from InDesign once. Quit and relaunch InDesign. Also you could try signing out from Creative Cloud App and sign back in to see if the issue goes away.

Adobe InDesign team

• GREP "Any Double Quotation Marks" wildcard not working as expected

Version: CC (14.0.1.209)

While using InDesign's Find/Change GREP feature:

The following GREP query wont find the matching string even if it exists in the document: (Any White Space) followed by (Any Double Quotation Marks) followed by (Any Uppercase Letter)

\s"[A-Z]

This should find any white space followed by any double quotation mark followed by any uppercase letter, however it shows no match.

The following GREP searches will work, but when combined they do not work:

\s" will find the white space and the double quotation mark

"[A-Z] will find the double quotation mark and any uppercase letter

It seems to…

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • installed font missing

InDesign 13.0.1 on macOS 10.12.6

One installed font from a family of 6 suddenly started showing as not found. Frutiger LT Pro 67 Bold Condensed was correctly showing, now not.

I have re-installed InDesign twice, reinstalled the font, and rebooted several times. Font is correctly showing still in Illustrator and Photoshop.

This is impacting client files and while I have a workaround, I am concerned the problem will occur with other fonts where I don't have a viable solution. (I have another foundry version of that particular font.)

Screen shots attached.

many thanks

7 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Please try it out with the latest release and if even then you encountering the same issue, please share the font file of that particular font with which you are facing the issue.

Please do mention your machine configuration like OS, Locale. You can also send files/links directly to paawasth@adobe.com.

Thanks,
                      Payal

• Hyperlinks not detected

The "Convert URLs to Hyperlinks" function in the hyperlinks panel is not working properly in CC 2018. Not all the links are detected. There doesn’t seem to be any logic in which links are detected and which are not, it seems very random.

6 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

I tried out with various hyperlinks and the function is working fine for me.

Please try it out with the latest release and even then if you encountering the same issue,
                        please provide sample documents with which you are facing the issue or just add a small video (on WeTransfer/Youtube/Dropbox) and share the link.

Please do mention your machine configuration like OS, Locale.

You can also send files/links directly to paawasth@adobe.com

Thanks & Regards
                        Payal Awasthi (InDesign Team)

• Windows recents files (at opening)

Sometimes the files are two times on the panel (same file) and sometimes is a wrong link (opening an other file the icon seems to be).
                        Quit, refresh, open an other file : nothing to get the right link.
                        Since the late update march 2018 ; I am on 13.1.
                        Thank you for resolving idea,
                        Pierre

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

We have recently released InDesign CC 2019 and we believe that this issue should no longer occur.

You can download the latest version of InDesign from the Creative Cloud Desktop application.

Please confirm if the issue has got fixed.

Adobe InDesign team

• If Paragraph Format uses Shade, only the first line is underlined (instead of all) (Layer Problem!)

Its not a suggestion, its a bug.
                          Under Indesign 13.1, when e.g. a whole page is styled to have a gray shade behind it, and some paragraphs have to be undelined, then ALWAYS the Line before a hard return does not show the underline, because I suppose a layer problem occurs. Indesign seems to see the text on top, then applies the shade and _under_ that the underlining for the text, which won't be shown then. The descenders are shown normally, since they are on top in the text layer. I have not found a way to tell the underline…

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• 2018 Indesign/Incopy Check In Prompt On Close Does Not Actually Check in.

If we close Indesign or Incopy without checking in, the program will ask us if we want to. When we choose to check in, Adobe will act like it Checks In and then closes, but the changes are never saved back to the original file. Check In only works if we choose Check In manually before closing.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

The scenario mentioned is working as expected for us on both Mac & Win. Could you elaborate on the exact steps you are doing when you see this not working as expected?

Thanks,
                              Adobe InDesign team

• Data Merge: Remove blank lines for empty fields no longer works in CC2018

InDesign CC2018 English latest update. Since the update when data merging from a CSV file blank lines are not deleted. Yes, Remove Blank Lines is checked in the options.

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Please refer to this article : https://indesignsecrets.com/rid-empty-lines-data-merge.php for more information on how the feature ‘Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields’ work. Basically, if there are some fields that don’t have data in the CSV file, InDesign will remove the blank line in the merged document that is created. However, if you have an entire record(row) missing in the CSV file, it won’t remove that record in the merged document – you will still see an empty record in the merged document.

• Folder Aliases on Server greyed out

We have here big troubles with export, saving AND and placing in Indesign AND Illustrator.
                                Since Update on CC18 and High Sierra, everytime we want to open/save/place a document, all aliases are greyed out. (connection to server)

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Microsoft word

bug in program InDesign CC 2018 (?)

Can not import Microsoft Word file in CC 2018 (system Windows 10 Version 1703)

send a screenshot in Czech language

translate screenshot: This file can not be placed. No filter was found for the requested operation

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • InDesign steals focus in Windows 10

Whenever InDesign launches or performs a task such as PDF export, if the user switches to another application, InDesign will steal the focus back.

This annoyance has been around for quite some time as outlined in this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2001514

5 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

On Windows 10, the focus stealing does not happen with InDesign CC 2018. Same with Illustrator CC 2018.
                                      However, as some users have noted, focus stealing happens with Photoshop CC 2018.

We’d like to know if you are still experiencing this issue with InDesign.

Thanks,
                                      Adobe InDesign team

• InDesign: 2018, newest update erases all user-saved Workspaces

Newest update erases all user-saved Workspaces. Newest update to Photoshop 2018 doesn't...argh.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Incompatible with Windows 10, won't even open

My Windows 10 laptop simply will not open InDesign.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Welcome screen freezes and does not disappear blocking workspace InDesign CC 2017

Work space is not visible and welcome screen doesn't disappear

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base