Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Slow work of Indesign when editing text with large footnotes

I'd like to report a bug. Please follow the scenario below:

1. In a single column with lots of text in it, make two columns for a fragment of text

2. In text within the two-column setup, make a footnote. Add several lines of text to the footnote

3. Turn on the "Span Footnotes Across Columns" feature so that footnote ends up in the same group with the footnotes at the bottom of the page rather than below the two-column fragment

4. Expected behaviour: normal editing can be performed after these manipulations

5. Observed behaviour: any text editing after turning…

5 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • InDesign False Ligatures Bug

InDesign sometimes, seemingly randomly, replaces pairs such as hn, il, io, sy, ek, etc. with completely wrong glyph, such as accented Y, U, etc., when regular Ligature setting is applied. This has been a problem since CS5 and we recently had it occur in CC2015, so it is still there. Affected fonts have been many over the years, including licensed Adobe fonts. Fonts can be Open Type or PostScript. Language setting can be English US, UK, or seemingly anything else. The only thing that works to avoid it is to turn off Ligatures which is generally unacceptable, so the only…

8 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
        We are looking at this issue. But because of its intermittent nature, we are unable to reproduce the issue.
        Can you share the sample files with which you are facing the issue?
        Are there any specific softwares installed on your system?
        You can mail me the files and information at amaarora@adobe.com

Thanks,
        Aman

• Spell check not working

I have installed the latest version of ID, and the spell check is not working. It does not detect misspelled words.

20 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  21 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that.

InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that. But if you do right mouse button, or spell check, it does know the word is misspelled, offering correction suggestions. We really need to see it "dynamically" as one types; this feature is not working.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Unable to change fonts

I am unable to change fonts.

Changing weights seems to work, but changing fonts does not work.

5 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Please try it out with the latest release and if even then you encountering the same issue, please add a small video (on WeTransfer/Youtube/Dropbox) describing the issue and share the link.

Please do mention your machine configuration like OS, Locale. You can also send files/links directly to paawasth@adobe.com.

Thanks,
              Payal Awasthi (InDesign Team)

• no break is not working 100%

InDesign CC 14.0 no break is not working all the time. Trying to keep web address together and have no break applied but the text is still splitting even though it can fit a single line of the text box. If I change width of text box the spaces get compressed and almost looks like there is no space between words.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Indesign CC 2019 Bugs(Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables)

I usually use the inDesign to import the created word file.
                However, if I check the Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables in indesign cc 2019 and import the file, the formatting of the text will be deleted.
                This does not happen with Indesign cc 2018, but this will continue to happen in this 2019 upgrade.
                I ask you to correct this problem.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fill with Placeholder Text doesn’t automatically change the font and characters for that language when holding ⌘ and choosing that from menu

InDesign CC 2018 on macOS Mojave public Beta,
                  when holding down ⌘ key and choose Type-> fill w place holder text, there’s a pop up menu that you can choose which language you want to fill in, and it did fill with placeholder text, However it didn’t fill in text with that language and choosing a font that suits that language, or even ragged left if it’s Arabian language.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue.
                    I need more inputs from you to get to the bottom of the issue.

Please confirm if the issue happens only with Mojave. Was it working fine before upgrading to Mojave?

Are CMD/opt keys working fine in other workflows?

Regards,
                    Abhinav kaushik

• World-Ready Composer Is messing up the kerning in Latin fonts

I have reported a variation of this—back with CS6—but it seems not to have been fixed. I assume it's a bug, but if someone can enlighten me about what I might be doing wrong and how I can fix this, I'd appreciate it.

I often work on books that include Arabic and Hebrew words and phrases in the middle of English text. They only way to get the Arabic ligatures to form is to use one of the World Ready composers. When I do that, though, the kerning around some English characters often—but not always—is affected. I have tried turning…

8 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Find Glyph uses character style set in the Text tab

It's not possible to set a character style in the Glyph tab of the Find/Change window. But if you set a character style in the Text tab, the Glyph tab uses that style to limit the search scope.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start a new document, add a character style. (Doesn't matter what formatting you add to the character style.)
                      2. Place a text frame and enter 'xx'.
                      3. Apply the character style you added in step 1 to the first x.
                      4. Set the character style in the Find Format field of the Text tab of the Find/Change window. …

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Undo does not work properly on deleted text, it only deletes one character at a time instead of whole block of text

I am on a Mac and this is a problem with InDesign 2018.

If you backspace delete two or more characters from text, undo (Ctrl+Z) only restores one character at a time instead of the whole block that was deleted in that action.

Undo worked fine in previous versions of InDesign, and it works fine in Word and other apps.

I have tried deleting InDesign preferences and caches and even reinstalled it with import previous prefereces unchecked, but the problem remains, and I cannot find any solution. Can someone please help?

Macbook Air now running High Sierra 10.13.2 (but problem…

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Fix it!

Footnote symbols at the beginning and at the end of the footnote I can't delete them nor the space that associated with the damn blasted symbol.

It's just a mess. Endnotes footnotes it's a horror show to deal with them. I wasn't before but with this update---truly a horror show.

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
                            Thanks for mentioning this. Do you mean the blue braces at the end and start of endnote text?
                            Those are just markers that depict the start and end of endnote text. This will not be printed or exported. helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/endnotes…

To adjust the spaces, please explore and set the Type→Document Endnote options.

Please let us know if this helps you out.

-Aman

• The killing of hard returns in ToC

This is a new feature with version 13 ... but (I think only on WIN machines) that can not be stored with the rest of the settings. After saving and creating a table of contents, the check mark is no longer set.
                            regards Frank Muenschke (IDUG Rhein/Ruhr)

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Type on path ID CC 2018

creating a path then adding type to the path causes the terminal beachball of death– tried 4 times, restarted app and Mac tried again. Force quit required each time. I was able to copy a path with type on it from an older document. Very painful

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Auto-size text boxes with rounded corners expands randomly.

Version 2018, 13.0

Set a text box to auto size height and width (with no line breaks)
                                Make the corners rounded
                                As you can see in the attached jpgs of before and after, sometimes the box expands in width and sometimes in height, but randomly, not wrapping around the text correctly.

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• I am Korean, but I can not write vertically. I can not rotate the left menu bar, upper menu bar, letter tab character. There is no language

I am Korean, but I can not write vertically. I can not rotate the left menu bar, upper menu bar, letter tab character. There is no language or oriental language choice. Please make sure you have made the capture
                                  The company had access to the same ID.
                                  But you should not come home.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
                                    Can you please uninstall InDesign and then reinstall it with the settings in Creative Cloud same as mine.. I have shown these settings in settings.png attached.

Let us know what happens then

-Aman

• Printing error: The Adobe Print Engine - Across spread with tables in booklet

When printing a one table across a spread you will encounter the Adobe print engine error.

1. InDesign CC 2018
                                    2. Create one table across a spread and print to booklet.
                                    3. Adobe Print Engine error display
                                    4. see attached

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Find text and replace doesn't work with this new update!

1. Find text and replace doesn't work with this new update!
                                      2. I (and many others) have requested that footnotes work in tables - is this ever going to happen?? Please..!

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
                                        Can you please add a small video (on WeTransfer/Youtube/Dropbox) and post a link here so that it can be looked into?
                                        We have tried to reproduce it but unable to do it.
                                        Also, please try once after clearing your cache and preferences. forums.adobe.com/thread/526990
                                        -Aman

• InDesign freezing when copying a text box containing text and set to auto width/height

1. Version 2017.1, Build 12.1.0.56, MacOS 10.12 and 10.13

2. Steps to reproduce:
                                        - type some text in a text box
                                        - set the text box to auto width or/and height
                                        - copy the text box
                                        - voila, instant freeze

3. Expected result:
                                        - no freeze

4. Actual result:
                                        - freeze

5. Video:
                                        https://youtu.be/VlAwB9YBIyA

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
                                          Can you please let us know if you are using any application like Keyboard Masetro, TextExpander, Quicksilver, or ClipMenu.
                                          With Keyboard Mastro the issue is reproducible at our end.

-Aman

• 1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base