Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

483 results found

1. [CS6-CC2018][MAJOR BUG] Images upscaled in flattened PDF-files when placed over gradient

Hi,

With this post I would like to report a major bug in Indesign.

The problem occurs in these conditions:
    - A gradient background
    - On top of the background product images containing clipping masks / transparency. The images have insufficiënt resolution (105ppi).

When creating a flattened PDF-file (1.3) using the default PDF export feature, and valid high resolution export presets, all images which have a resolution higher then 75ppi, are upscaled in the final PDF-file. Images which are 105 ppi, are suddenly 300ppi in the final PDF-file. Images which an effection resolution of 75 ppi, remain 75 ppi.

After…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Font outlined when exporting to pdf

When I export to pdf and open the document in Acrobat, I have no issues with fonts. But, if I want to open the file in Illustrator (we have a special procedure to add the pdf file to one drawing in iIllustrator), I get this alert: To preserve appearance, some text has been outlined. When I checked the Background tasks in InDesign, it gives me the following alert - image attached.
    We have the copyrights on fonts. Glyphs are mentioned in the alert, but not all of them are outlined. Using CC 2018 13.1

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. URLs breaking when used inside a table

I have a InDesign doc that has several columns (name, address, website link, etc). When converting to pdf the urls break. The urls are too long for the column so they wrap onto 2-3 lines. When I copy the url and paste it outside the table and extend the text box so the url is on one line then it works as should be.

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: InDesign CC v9.2 x64
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. [BUG] PDF size is to high using the export feature

With this post I would like to report an issue regarding the export feature of Adobe Indesign. When exporting a PDF-file from Indesign, the PDF file size is unnecessary to high and the document contains a lot of overhead. After the same pdf-file is resaved using the default Os X preview application, the overhead is removed and the file size is correct. Please fix this issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Page Hyperlinks Defaulting to page 1 when Exporting to PDF

I have a multiple documents in a InDesign book. Each document has several page hyperlinks between all of the documents. I have exported this in the past and everything worked fine. Since updating to CC2018 the page hyperlinks no longer work. They all default to page 1.

I had to update some image links and make some text changes so the books and documents are all now in CC2018. I do not see a way to save the indb file as a idml so I think I am stuck on CC 2018.

I am exporting as a print pdf and…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. nested hyperlinks

Currently, hyperlinks in InDesign documents don't survive import/nesting into other InDesign documents. It would be great if they did -- it's the only thing preventing me from nesting pages from a "base" document into multiple localized versions...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Downsampling of coloured greyscale-Images

... does not work correctly.

Example:
    An uncolored grayscale image and the same colored grayscale image are reduced differently

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. background issue PDF

I can not export a DPF file from my InDesign file. I keep getting the message that a background issues has occurred and the PDF can not be saved. HELP!!!!!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Phantom lines are appearing on export that do show up on print

Phantom lines around boxes are appearing on export. Some of these are appearing when printed from Nitro Pro. This may be a Nitro Pro issue?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Hidden content in pdf export

Adobe InDesign CC 2017. While exporting the file into a PDF. In the PDF while searching for a word I found some sort of ghost fields (picture ghostfields.png). Then I found out that the problem is caused by graphics that we use internally. There are mostly more than just one graphic in one Illustrator file (picture illustratorfile.png). It is saved as an ai, not eps. InDesign exports the parts of those graphics that are actually not visible in InDesign (picture error2.png). I could not find out why, or how to solve it. And because of those ghost field you can…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Datamerge

Version: Indesign CC 2017.1. Same behaviour in both Windows 7 and El Capitan 10.11.6.

Steps to reproduce: Create a layout file and a tab delimited text file like the ones seen on the info images.

Expected result: A pdf with the same data as the text file and preview.

Actual result: A pdf with its first record correct, but the following two incorrect. See description image.

Solutions/workarounds

1. Decrease the column names number of characters and/or make sure no placeholder has overset text (used solution).

2. Create a merged document. The values seem to work as expected then (this solution was not…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. CC'15-'17 All hyperlinks missing/removed after round trip with InCopy editors

I am a designer and build corporate white papers anywhere from 35-100+ pages in length. We use the layout InCopy workflow with one assignment and all stories exported under that. After I import and design/format all content including hyperlinks, I then save for the editors for use in InCopy. They then do their work, and save for me, standard. Upon opening, all the hyperlinks are missing with a "red flag" denoting the ref. is missing . Oddly enough, for the past two documents we made, you could still export to PDF with the links functioning, this despite all the missing…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. AGLFN: ZWJ, ZWNJ, ZWS in PDF

Indesign is not written ZWJ (U+200D), ZWNJ (U+200C), ZWS (U+200B) with its glyph name uni200D, uni200C, uni200B respectively.

This is not helping in copying the text with ZWJ (U+200D), ZWNJ (U+200C), ZWS (U+200B) from PDF.

These non-printing characters are copied has "space" instead.

These non-printing characters in Indic scripts are part of text. With and without these characters, text can changes its meaning.

Please support these characters with AGLFN glyph names in fonts in Indesign, PDF export feature.

More info

https://github.com/adobe-type-tools/agl-aglfn/issues/1#issuecomment-323822117

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Profiles equal to the Output-Intend get lost on PDF-Export

When exporting a PDF all profiles equal to the Output-Intend (which in my case is the Document-Colorspace PSO Coated V3) get lost when exporting.

I have created a small test-file with an PSO Coated V3 Image and an ISO Coated V2 Image.

When Exporting as PDF X4 with Output-Intend Set to PSO Coated V3 the Image that IS PSO Coated V3 looses its profile and the same for the ISO Coated V2 when the Output-Intend is set to that.

This is horrible for Colormanagement. I've been in contact with "Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG" and they suggested to report this to Adobe…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Missing color in PDF from InDesign

I have an InDesign file with a placed PSD file in it, which contains two spot colors. When I save the file as a PDF out of InDesign, only one of the two spot channels is visible.

I'm running the latest versions of InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat. To reproduce, open the attached InDesign file and save as a PDF. The resulting PDF should show a yellow and blue spot, but only the blue is visible. (The PDF generated during packaging also exhibits the problem.)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Exporting a page to an existing PDF file

Hello,
    I've been using Indesign for over 20 years and I often come across the following problem: you're working on a large catalogue, you export it as a PDF and after proofreading, a page needs to be corrected. You apply the correction and export the whole catalogue again, overwriting the previous one, or (another method) you export just the corrected page and import it into the PDF using Acrobat tools.

It might be interesting to be able to tell Indesign to export only the corrected page and to integrate it directly into the existing PDF in order to save time…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Missing Graphics

Certain aspects of my file is not properly populating with all of the graphics that are imbedded on the Master pages only on the even pages.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 19.2 Arabic version, missing periods in exported PDF

In an exported pdf, periods (or other ending characters) at the end of paragraphs are missing, if the paragraphs were aligned right or justified in the original English version.
    The time-consuming work-around option is to make the period LTR char direction.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I can't export pdfs with broken Hyperlinks? It considers an Apple Shortcut link as a broken URL?

I added URLs with Apple Shortcut link (Shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=***) and I couldn't export as pdf due to broken hyperlinks. It used to work before and Now it keeps giving me an error message whenever I try to export it.

Update: exporting pdf doesn't work with no apparent broken links or apple shortcut links

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Export Interative PDF

The crash/error occurs when I export the interactive pdf with a little over 2000 pages at the almost end of the exporting process. so I downgraded the version of InDesign to 18v and now it works fine. Still, I have many files already made with updated indesign (19v).

I am a Mac OS user.
    Please please fix this issue. I desperately need this to be fixed for my work.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base