Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Data Merge - Can't preview without errors

The apparently long-running Data Merge previewing error!
    Occasionally previewing a data merge will permanently ruin exports. The only solution is to create a new document. Happened to me on almost every project I tried - wasted hours and hours.
    See this thread and video for more information:
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/10337647#10337647

(Also colons in csv titles makes file unusable??)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Indesign cuts off effects on PDF Export

InDesign cuts off effects on PDF Exports if they get too large. (Also to mention... menues look different fot Font or Object Effects... someone realigned one of them and forgot the others.)

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: CC 2017.1 with Tablefix
    Steps to reproduce the issues: Create a new Document that's wide enough e.g. 5000mm (happend to us on a big Banner) – Write Text - Use Effect "Bevel" - Export to PDF and watch it fail.
    Expected result: A Text with the applied effect
    Actual result: The Effect gets cut off (we almost printed a job…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

3. indesign export

I export a pdf and then decide I want to make a tweak. So I tweak the indesign file, re-export my pdf, and then the pdf doesn't update the preview! I have to re-export TWICE in order for the pdf to be updated. Anybody else having this problem?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi

Please provide the following information:
    1. Which version of InDesign are you using?
    2. On which OS are you seeing this issue? Win or Mac?
    3. This issue is reproducible with each and every file or with some specific files?

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

4. Export Interative PDF - Create Tagged PDF checkbox Bug

All my paragraph styles are set to corresponding tags (eg., H1, H2, etc.) for export options. When I export to tagged pdf, the tag names generated in PDF were paragraph style names not "Export Tagging" names.

Please look it into this and do the needful.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. PDF comment two-way sync

Let InDesign sync the status of comments (resloved/unresolved/...) back to the PDF.

OR let InDesign export PDF's with unresolved comments.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Background Tasks panel

I'm not trying to post an idea or add something.
    I merely want the Background Tasks panel to actually be useful!

When a file fails to export... no reason is given! Just that it failed. WTH? How can that in any way be deemed to be a "reason" or much less... useful in finding the issue and fixing it?

A fail reason... bad font, corrupt file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Selecting 'No language' from styles advanced options really exports the tag to EN in PDF

When you have a document with multiple languages and the main language isn't available in InDesign's presets, ie the document is mainly in Kirundi or Samoan and there are some English phrases, a user should be able to select 'No language' from the style's advanced options. Instead, 'No language' will export as EN and the tag in the PDF will have EN listed as the language in the tag's properties. This is problematic because the tag's language will override the document's language properties. This is a clear failure of WCAG SC 3.1.2 (language of parts).

A screen reader won't be…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Tabs in Arabic text move weight declaration to the wrong place

When placing an Arabic weight statement (e.g. "13g") followed by a tab and a percentage (e.g. "19%"), the weight declaration ("g" or "mg") moves to the percentage when exporting to pdf. Only when setting PDFX/1a:2001 is selected the output is correct. But this setting removes all layers and flattens transparencies so it's not very useful.
    A workaround is to place a space after the tab (so on the left side since this is a right to left language).
    See screen shot in attachment. On top = InDesign file, bottom = pdf created from this file using PDFX/4. The top line…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. InDesign 2019 Begins failing to export PDFs after short period of operating

InDesign 2019 | Mac OS Mojave

After a short period of time InDesign Fails anytime I try to export a PDF. I get the Error notification and just a Failed to export message. Restarting InDesign does not fix this, however if I restart my entire machine (enormous, frustrating pain in my workflow) it resume saving PDFs for a short period of time and them begin failing again until the next restart.

No other Software is having this issue, Adobe or otherwise.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Export to accessible PDF hangs and crashes

CC:2019 hangs and crashes when exporting a tagged accessible PDF from InDesign.

Happens after Alt-text is added to the INDD's graphics.

Without Alt-text, it exports fine. Add Alt-text and it crashes. The progress bar stills at the end and we're forced to use Task Manager to kill it.

Windows 10/Creators with CC:2019

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. InDesign opens destination folder when exporting.

My InDesign opens the destination folder when exporting PDF-files. In my work I export files daily and I have to export them separately. So when I do this, after the export has completed successfully, the destination folder opens up automatically, which is very annoying. I can't seem to find any place, where I can turn this off. I can only turn it ON, if I don't export separately.

1. brand new update CC 2019
    2. Create a document with more than 2 pages. Export all the pages separately.
    3. That it exports the pages separately into the destination folder without…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Through the single page PDF created from facing the text is displayed

Through the PDF size under specified conditions, will display the text. Print out also confirmed.
    Please see the link below.
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2483538

Translations by Microsoft® Translator

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Table cells tagged as form fields do not get tagged when using the Articles panel in an accessible PDF file.

If you convert a table cell to a graphic cell and then make it an interactive form field, if you use the Articles panel to control the order, the form fields do not get tagged.

1.) Create a table
    2.) Select a cell and choose Table > Convert to Graphic Cell
    3.) Open the articles panel and drag the frame containing the table to the Articles panel to create a new article.
    4.) Enable "Use for Reading order in tagged PDF" from the Articles panel menu.
    5.) Export to interactive PDF with tags enabled.

Result: If you open the PDF…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Data Merge to PDF (using the new single page export feature) does not work properly

Using the packaged folder attached, go to the Data Merge panel and select Export to PDF. Click OK on the first dialog box and in the second dialog box, make sure the "Create Separate PDF files" checkbox is checked.
    Expected result - 6 PDFs that have correct content in each PDF.
    Actual result - 6 PDFs that have incorrect content. PDF 1 is fine, but PDFs 2-6 are the same content as PDF 2.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Hyperlinks broken over two lines exports incorrectly to PDF

Using InDesign CC 13.0.1, I have some urls in a paragraph that are fairly long so have to break over two lines, e.g.

www.websiteaddress.com/subpage/
    pagename

When I export to pdf, the link will just link to www.websiteaddress.com/subpage/ and the bit with "pagename" is ignored.

I found similar problems posted online from a few years back and the workaround was to set your hyperlinks using the hyperlinks palette, not just rely on the pdf to detect the links automatically. I've done this manually to my document, but the problem persists. I can get the full link to work behind the first…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. PDF Exporting Issue - Linked EPS wrong color

When exporting files created w/ Id CC 2018 13.0.1, some linked eps files appear in the PDF in a totally incorrect color. I've tried embedding the files and saving as an interactive PDF, to no avail. This has happened with multiple docs . Given this issue, I'm rendered unable to print any of my projects. Any insight appreciated!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. alt text

Also category: Accessibility

I'm having a problem with the PDF tags when applying alt text to a group of items- a feature introduced in the most recent version of Indesign. Even though our articles panel shows separate articles, ALL of the content that comes AFTER a group tagged with alt text will have their exported tags all appear nested within that group as well, ignoring the structure set up in the Article panel. For example:

Article 1

Group with alt tag

item in group

Item in group

more content

Article 2

Article 2 content

Will in the exported PDF appear…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Type on a path on a master page does not appear on a resulting Data Merge PDF beyond the first record

Please read this post that accurately describes the issue: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2437061
    I've attached a file so the fault can be replicated

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while. We have been able to address the issue and it has been fixed in our beta builds.
    In order to try out the fix of the issue you may join InDesign CC Prerelease program @https://www.adobeprerelease.com and download latest beta build 14.×.×.x from download section on the home page of InDesign CC Prerelease portal.

Let us know in the comments if you see any issue with the beta builds.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

19. Custom PDF presets erased after update to CC 2018

I have several saved PDF presets for different clients. All of them had been deleted after upgrading from CC 2017 to 2018. I first thought they were simply not migrated over, but after opening InDesign CC 2017 I noticed they were gone there also! Only the default presets (High-Quality Print, etc.) were showing up in the drop-down menu. I had to go into my TimeMachine update to restore the files.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Annika

Could you please go to the following location on your system, and check whether your presets are present on your machine or not:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Also, is there any other Adobe application that is installed on your system, like Illustrator? If yes, could you please check if your presets are shown in those applications or not.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

20. Tagged artifacts are not propery exported to PDF

1. CC 2017.1
    2. Create an InDesign Document with correct tagging, articles, etc. Spend hours because there is no simple way doing this without expensive plugins. Our small monthly payment is used to include more important functions like Stock-Photos. Export PDF, correct some minor errors and check it with PAC. You´ll get many Content errors, because artifacts are not properly tagged. Try to solve it in Acrobat with the tags/order/...-panel. Spend more hours with vanishing objects and many other amusing bugs. Find the Preflight-Tool to tag all objects at once.
    3. Correct tagging while generating the PDF.
    4. Lost my…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base