Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. space before/after paragraph is suddenly not working

when i try to add space before or after a paragraph, it shows up in the tools panel and in style sheets as being there, but it is not reflected in the actual text.

indesign cc 14.0.1

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In your example, the paragraph ‘Introduction: My Life…’ and ‘Update’ use the same Paragraph Style and the setting ‘Space Between Paragraphs Using Same Style’ is set to 0p0. That’s why the Space After setting of 1p4 is having no effect.
    To make it to work, change the ‘Space Between…’ back to its default setting of ‘Ignore’.
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

2. Page Margins Bug

I am having a bug/issue with margins. In the page setup and the properties dialogues the measurements are showing as the defaults, but clearly they have been changed as noted in the attached file. This file was created in an earlier version of INDD.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Document Setup shows the Margins of the document when it was created or margins that will be assigned to any new pages you add to the document. However, you can override margins of individual pages by using the Margins and Columns dialog. And this is what has been done for the Page – the Top and Outside margins have been set to 25mm and 45mm respectively (changed from their default setting of 12.7mm).
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

3. "Select all unused" triggers "Small panel rows" in Styles palette

Version: 14.0.0.130

STR: Select "Select all unused" in Paragraph or Character Styles pallet

ER: Should select all styles not used in current document

AR: Triggers "Small panel rows" instead

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved For the User  ·  2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. PDF comment import does not show regular sticky notes.

The new PDF comment feature imports the comments just fine, but regular sticky note comments are not displaying. They show up in the list, but do not point to where they are on the document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign crashes while Editing Cross-Reference

1. InDesign 13.1

2. Select text, got to Type > Hyperlinks & Cross-References > Insert Cross-Reference

3. Should be able to open/edit Cross-References

4. Entire program freezes and has to be force quit.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign 2018 13.1 crashing when saving back to Studio Server

We've just updated our studio with new macs, running High Sierra Version 10.13.4 and the most recent InDesign Version 13.1.

When we open a .indb document and edit one of the individual .indd files within it and attempt to save back to our Studio NAS drive/Server on our ethernet network the program crashes, corrupts the entire file and makes no effort to restore the file.

We are also running our old Macs, on Yosemite 10.10.5 with Indesign 2017 and have not experienced this issue at all for the 7 years we have used these machines.

We’ve looked on various forums…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Can't Open JPEG file

Hi there

I am having trouble opening up .jpeg files from Indesign. It is installed as a part of my Creative Cloud subscription. Please see attached for the error that pops up. Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    G

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. high sierra 13.5

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 and upgraded my OS to 10.13.5 last week. Ever since upgrading to High Sierra originally I had some issues with the program freezing when my computer was running lots of programs. However, after upgrading the OS last week now Indesign has become almost non-functional (I have CC v. 13.1 ). Every time I click to simply type or scroll pages the colour wheel spins and it takes literally minutes to make a single click.

I have restarted my computer, tried using different files locally on my machine and an our company server. Documents with…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. master override

Applied master pages (spread) to all pages which includes a table along page edges for navigation. On a normal page when I attempt to override by Ctrl+Shift click the edge table from the master element to override, Indesign hangs or crashes and prompts a crash report. Only happening on the left side page of the spreads for some reason???

The subsequent launch of the program also crashes, I assume because it attempts to resume. Using the recovered version will not launch either. Must remove recovery data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Stroke Alignment Changes Shape Size

InDesign 13.0.1

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Create a shape (Rectangle, Circle, Polygon)
    2. Add stroke to shape
    3. Change stroke alignment

Expected Result:
    - Stroke changes alignment to what the user set (inside, outside, centered).

Actual Result:
    - Shape size (and bounding box) change, while stroke remains aligned inside the bounding box.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The stroke is always shown inside the bounding box for all three types of stroke alignments. But if you check the size of the object, it will be different for different stroke alignments.
    For example, if you have a square of 100 pt x 100 pt with a 20 pt stroke weight aligned to Center, its W & H = 120 pt. Similarly for the same square, if the stroke is aligned to Inside, its W & H = 100 pt while for stroke aligned to Outside, its W & H = 140 pt.

This is how it has been designed.

11. BUG - Paste in Place not pasting correctly with double page spread

Latest version (2018) does not correctly locate objects when using the 'paste in place' function.

Open a double page spread document. Select item from left page spread and paste in place on another spread in same document - locates incorrectly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. help

Indesign help takes me to webpage that does not exist.
    http://community.adobe.com/chcservices/services/redirect?u=http://help.adobe.com&p=InDesign12.0&l=enUS&id=AH_HOME

Browser shows:
    Safari can’t open the page “‎community.adobe.com/chcservices/services/redirect?u=http://help.adobe.com&p=InDesign12.0&l=enUS&id=AH_HOME” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Share for Review access settings - Public Link not available

I am trying to use the new Share for Review option. As outlined here, I should be able to switch the access options from invitation only to public which should give me the option to have people without an Adobe account review the content by simply inputting a password for access. However, I cannot switch from invitation only to public as I simply have the invitation only option as a fixed option and no dropdown to choose from. Is there an option somewhere that I need to enable first so I can publicly share these files for review? As of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Share for review annotations not showing up in InDesign

In using the new Share for Review this morning from today's update to v15.1 we did a test document that included some drawing annotations. The comments showed up as expected in InDesign but not the drawing annotations. I have tried toggling on and off the eye in the review panel and nothing happens like it does in the web browser.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved For the User  ·  2 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Text disappears after hitting 'Accept' in PDF comments

ID 15.0.3

Just started getting our client to use PDF Comments (instead of printing, writing on, then B&W scanning, then emailing back), I've imported the comments, then hit 'Accept' over the text amends he's made, the text then deletes/disappears. There's no styling or rules or anything else applied, it's just straight text.

Screen shot had 4 price points on, but after hitting accept, it's gone. If I change the price manually and leave any original text (to see what happens) such as the $ symbol, then hit 'Accept', the manually altered text stays, but the $ disappears.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. InDesign 15.0.2 hangs on auto flow on primary text frame

InDesign 15.0.2 Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.4 MBP 15" 2019
    ID hangs up when trying to let InDesign create about 100 additional pages with auto flow on the primary text frame from a placed docx. Can't attach the file due to my customer's copyright policy.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. InDesign 15.0.2 won't open

The new 15.0.2 version on a Mac will continue to bounce and not open. The splash screen doesn't show and the app will not respond. I have let the app try to open for an extended period of time, but after 10 minutes of just bouncing and not opening, the app has to be force quit.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. hangs on export to epub3

I have one file that will not export at all. InDesign hangs every time and I have to force quit. I have tried not including the cover, the fonts, the TOC, in all combinations. I was able to export by opening the IDML in CS6. Mac OS 10.3.6 and InDesign CC 15.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Proportion lock is ignored when scaling.

I've placed a bitmap on my page. When scaling it with the scaling tool and the proportion lock engaged, proportions aren't maintained.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Scaling with the Scale Tool scales the objects without taking into consideration the Constraint Lock icon, it works independently of the state of this icon. Only when you use the W & H fields, the Constraint icon is used.
    So, it is not a bug. You can also see this work similarly in Adobe Illustrator too.

Adobe InDesign team

20. Backwards apostrophe

The "right-single-quote" mark (i.e. apostrophe) in InDesign is rendering backwards, ONLY with the font that I'm using (Acme Gothic). The apostrophe is correct with other fonts, and on other Adobe products (Illustrator and Photoshop). It's specifically when using this font, and in InDesign. It's even using the correct character (’) but it's appearing backwards. It also exports backwards in a PDF as well. I'm using Adobe InDesign 2020 on a Macbook Pro.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The ’ for the font Acme Gothic has been set to Mirrored in your text frame, that’s why it is rendering backwards.

To change all instances of this, highlight it with the mouse, right-click, the choose ‘Load Selected Glyph in Find’. The Find/Change dialog opens with the selected glyph already in the Find Glyph field – its Unicode ID is 201B. To change the Glyph to the non-mirrored one, just type 2019 in the Unicode ID field . Then click Change All. It will change all instances of the mirrored apostrophe with the non-mirrored apostrophe.

Hope it helps.

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base