Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

256 results found

1. No longer shows hidden characters for one particular document.

I just updated to InDesign 14.0.2 x64 on Windows 7.
    The option Type > Show Hidden Characters no longer works for this document.
    It does not show newlines, paragraph marks, etc.
    This document has one pages at 2.5" x 5" size, with only text.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Please confirm if toggling the View→Screen Mode from Preview to Normal, shows up the hidden characters

Thanks

2. eyedropper tool

Using the eyedropper tool to select a color from the desired text is not working properly. Only strokes are painted with the desired color, not the text. It should like Illustrator's eyedropper tool which works perfectly. I have to use Illustrator's eyedropper tool to get the desired results I want.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Please can you confirm if the “Character Settings” are turned on in the Eyedropper options?
    you can double click the eyedropper tool to check the eyedropper options

Thanks

3. Italics not showing in InDesign CC2019 - but does in all other versions

I have a .docx file that when brought into InDesign CC2019 (14.0.2) the italics do not show. The italics show in all other versions of InDesign. This is worrying for when we work on long documents. The error still occurs if the file is changed to a .doc file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please tell me what part of text in the word file is not imported as italics in Indesign?
    The italics portion in the word file are:
    Australian Book Review
    H-France Review
    je ne sais quoi

all of which are imported as italics in InDesign

Can you tell me what am i missing?

Thanks
    amaarora@adobe.com

4. Keyboard commands do not respond in document until text field is selected

Indesign 14.0.2 x64
    Windows 10

After opening any document, the keyboard does not work. Print, open, and quick key selections for tool will not register until I select the ​type tool with the mouse, and click on a text field so that the cursor appears.

I then have to click on the selection black arrow tool for any keys to start working. I use mainly quick key shortcuts and commands all day, so this occurs every new document opened.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Could you please try clearing up(or renaming) your preferences and cache for InDesign 2019(14.0).
    If you still face the issue after doing the above, please share with us some screenshots and(or) small video demonstrating the problem.

-InDesign Team

5. panels / windows won't open, InDesign doesn't launch 80% of the time

Honestly wasn't sure what to file this under. I am running the latest version of InDesign (version 14.0.2). About 4/5 times when I click to launch InDesign, it bounces for several minutes and then nothing happens... and then it stops bouncing and the dot under the app also goes away, yet the app says its open - still no windows. Eventually - usually after about 10-15 minutes of waiting - I have to right click, quit, and start again.

But this is the part that really bothers me: When it finally does open properly and loads a document, many of…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Could you please try reinstalling InDesign application after clearing up(or renaming) your preferences and cache for InDesign 2019(14.0).
    If you still face the issue after doing the above, please share with us some screenshots and(or) small video demonstrating the problem.

-InDesign Team

6. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    This issue was present in an earlier version of InDesign. Please confirm if you are facing this bug with InDesign version 14.0.2

If you face the issue with the latest version then please share a sample document at amaarora@adobe.com with which we can reproduce the issue in-house.

Thanks,
    Aman

7. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

8. Alt key modifier keeps toolbar active after use when zooming in using scroll wheel

Not sure when this started happening, I only know that it's started irritating the heck out of me quite recently. I'm on Win 10 using InDesign 14.0.2

Whenever I alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out, InDesign switches focus to the toolbar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu.

It becomes an issue when for example zooming into an active text box, if you need to type F, E, L, T, O, A, V, W, or H, after using alt+scroll you end up bringing up the View menu as soon as you hit the V key.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    As per our understanding the issue is as follows:
    Launch InDesign.
    1. Press alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out.
    2. InDesign switches focus to the menu-bar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu shortcut.
    3. Type F, E, L, or T after using alt+scroll

Result:
    Menu entry is opened from the control strip (example View menu as soon as you hit the V key).

Expected:
    Key press should select the suitable tool denoted by that key

This has been the behavior since quite long and does not look like a break in behavior.
    Please can you confirm?

Thanks

9. Selection of PDF Comments

InDesign CC2019 (14.02 x64) Windows 10

I am only able to select the corresponding sticky note icon from imported PDF comments at 100% or less view magnification. This is unhelpful as at this scale, large dimension sized documents the text is greeked out, I need to zoom in to see what is written in my document to compare against the comment, but then have to zoom back out to select the next icon to bring that comment to the fore of the list.

Please correct so I can select sticky notes while panning throughout a document at >100%.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue.
    Has is started to happen in Id 14.0.2? Was it working fine before?

10. Missing Font error after upgrading

After the upgrading to cc 2019 , the older fonts which were installed in machine is giving missing font error, every time i have to sync the fonts. I am using windows 10 standard edition. Here is the screen shot of the error.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I emphasize enough how much I dislike the new styling on the text/paragraph style dialogues

It is SOO much harder to select the paragraph (or whatever) style I need now. The key information in that dialogue is the style name, which I know you know because that's what you show when it's selected. But that style name isn't the most visible part of the drop-down. In my case, it's darn hard to see. This is slowing me way down and I'm feeling very grumpy about it.
    I was also really irritated when the resize quick keys did a switcheroo here after 20+ years, but I can get over that. This one -though! Apologies for the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    This new menu you are seeing is only visible from the properties panel.
    You can still see the list of paragraph styles from the Paragraph Styles menu (Type→Paragraph styles) in the same way as it used to be in previous years.
    Please let us know if you still face the problem

Thanks,
    Aman

12. Master Page

When setting up multiple 2 page spread master pages, there is an issue with graphics overlapping onto other master pages when 'Facing Pages' is switched on.

For example - Master Page A is blank, and Master Page B has a green box along the top of the page.

When the Master Page A is placed next to a Master Page B, the green box graphic spreads onto Master Page A as well.

Please see the attached screen shots for clearer explanation.

Thanks

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of bug fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?

Adobe InDesign Team

13. text bold italic regular

Cannot easily change text with bold italics and bold regular to non-bold italics and non-bold regular.

1. On Windows 7, InDesign 14.0.1 x64:
    2. In a normal text window, type "regular" in non-bold regular Times New Roman font.
    3. Then type "italics" in non-bold italic Times New Roman Font.
    4. Select the entire "regularitalics" phrase.
    5. Click Ctrl-B. The entire phrase correctly becomes bold.
    6. Click Ctrl-B again. Expected behavior: The entire phrase should revert back to regular. Actual behavior: Only "italics" reverts back to regular. The "regular" remains bold.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Please let us know if using the short cut keys ctrl+shift+b/i helps to change the font style.

Thanks,
    Aman

14. Split window re-scrolls after returning from other app and changing other window

I am running Adobe InDesign CC 14.0.1.x64 on Windows 7 with latest updates (i.e., the most popular platform in the world).

1. Open the document (see attached).
    2. Split the window (Window > Arrange > Split Window).
    3. Scroll the left window to show page 2, with the Table of Contents.
    4. Scroll the right window to show e.g. page 3, with the cursor in the middle of the page.
    5. With the Type tool active, click the Enter key.
    6. InDesign correctly inserts a new paragraph, with the left window remaining unchanged.
    7. Alt-Tab out of InDesign.
    8. Alt-Tab back into InDesign. The Type tool should still…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of bug fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Interactive PDF go to destination not working

Using InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1

I have a 24 page report designed for print, with an additional layer which when visible adds interactive buttons to the top left corner of each page so I can also export an interactive PDF. The buttons are:

Go to previous page
    Go to next page
    Go to destination linking to the contents page

The document also contains URL hyperlinks and the contents links to each section of the report using bookmarks, but is not set up as a TOC. I'm not using any functions under the SWF/EPUB only section.

When exported as an interactive…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. No Break slows down InDesign CC 2019

When No Break is added to multiple words, it slows down InDesign CC 2019 14.01 tremendously.
    We use No Break very often in our texts, e.g. to keep web site addresses, email addresses and allergens together as this is a requirement from our customer.
    This was never a problem in older versions but something seems to be changed in InDesign.
    I added an .idml file containing an auto-size text frame with some text (allergens). Editing the text frame in an older version of InDesign works smoothly. Doing the same thing in CC 2019 goes very slow.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. TIff

Can't place TIF or PNG files into InDesign. The internet tells me that I can, however I've been trying for hours and it only works when I convert to JPG.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. White shows as black

All white (pure white such as paper, 0000, ffffff, etc.), shapes and even within linked images are showing black. Some pages are affected and some are not. If I go into the swatch slider CMYK mode, sliding K from 100 to 13 is normal, however, 12-0 starts scaling back down to black. I've tried linking to all types of images (TIFF, PNG, JPEG, transparencies). The file was fine last time I worked in it, but upon reopening this is happening. Is this a bug or a corrupt file?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. "Unable to adjust document layout due to an error."

1. Adobe InDesign CC 2019
    2. File >Adjust Layout > I select Custom page size; Auto-adjust margins to page size change; Options - adjust font size, adjust locked content.
    3. Expected result: page and all objects and fonts shrink from those I needed for a 8.5" x 11" (letter sized) doc. to 7.222" x 6" (6-column newspaper ad size) I need to produce a print-ready PDF for newspaper layout.
    4. Actual result: the error message "Unable to adjust document layout due to an error." (note: the preflight shows no errors, all links working, everything copacetic).
    5. See screen shots.
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. find font

Find Font isn't working for certain fonts. See the attached gif. I'm trying to change a passage of text set it Calibri (which I don't have installed) but when I open Find Font, Calibri isn't listed there so I'm unable to swap it out

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base