Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

861 results found

1. Key Inputs being duplicated.

Just started today, but one on longer document, key inputs keep repeating sporadically. Selecting with arrow keys will select two characters instead of one, pasting will paste twice, moving between pages will jump two pages instead of one.

Running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 on 2014 15" MBP 16gb, so I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue or not.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Searching for specific tracking values in ID 2022

Our in-house typesetting rules stipulate a certain range of acceptable tracking values, e.g. from 1 to 15 and -1 to -15. In order to ensure that we don't veer outside of those ranges, we need to be able to search our files for specific tracking values. While searching for specific values within those ranges in ID 2022, we noticed that searches for tracking from 1 to 8 and -1 to -8 produced hits, but searches for 9 to -9 tracking and above (10 to 15 and -10 to -15) resulted in no hits despite paragraphs being tracked at those values.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. tool bars

Tool bars do not appear when opening InDesign 18.0 CC 2023. I have to go to Window, turn on Show Application Frame, then flip that off to have my tool bars visible. This is the case in Photoshop and Illustrator 2023

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. won't shut down

InDesign 18.0 will not shut down without force quitting.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Opening a menu item such as preferences sets of the "error" sound in windows until the item is closed

When I open a menu item such as Print or Preferences or Export, windows begins making the "error" sound as if you clicked in an inappropriate spot. The sound continues until I close whatever menu item I opened. This only started with the update to InDesign 2023.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. workspace issues with 2023

Every time I open (or create) a new document in Indesign 18.0 x64, I get automatically taken to the touch worksapce (which is never what I want). Then, when I click on the correct workspace, it also opens this weird "structure" thing. Even if I close it and resave the workspace, it'll open it again the next time I open a document. This is extremely frustrating.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. InDesign '23 interface is not dual-monitor friendly! I am running macOS Monterey 12.4 on a MacBook M1 Pro.

Please update Adobe InDesign to be a more self-contained, movable workspace instead of anchoring the app to a single monitor (namely, my small laptop monitor). I am able to move tool windows and a file window over to my larger screen, but everything opens back on my laptop screen and I have to adjust all over again, unlike with Illustrator or Photoshop. It also maintains a dark gray 'background' over my laptop screen so it's VERY difficult to multitask. I noticed that this became an issue with a recent update PRIOR to the release of InDesign 2023. I am running…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Placed illustrator files keep showing as modified

When I place illustrator files in Indesign they show as modified even when closed from illustrator. I update and within a minute it shows as modified again. Very annoying. This is a new behavior on M1 mac studios, Monterey, working from a Mac file server which worked as expected previously with Intel imacs. Please fix ASAP. Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. .idlk files not recognized/ignored when .indd files are in a Dropbox directory

InDesign 2023 v18.00
    .idlk files are not recognized when working from a shared Dropbox folder. This issue appears to be very extensive and well documented. While I understand the many different use cases (synced/not synced, not connected to the internet, etc..) It would just make sense for InDesign to check for .idlk files within Dropbox directories and let Dropbox/Users figure out the potenetial for syncing errors and find a solution when those issues arise.

This causes very frustrating issues for collaborative teams.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign 18.0 (2023): still having issue where certain weights of fonts won't load/work (other weights/styles in the family do work).

The only way I've been able to solve this is to revert to version 17.1 (had same issue with 17.2).

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. InDesign 2023 18.0 x64 with too much CPU in idle

InDesign 2023 18.0 x64 is consuming too much CPU in idle, without any file open.

System: Windows 10 Pro 2H22 x64, SO 19045.2130, Workstation Dell Precision Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2603 v2 @ 1.80GHz, 16 GB RAM.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Activated Fonts aren't showing in the font drop down

The activated fonts aren't showing in the font drop down. They are showing under the Type menu at the top though. Nothing that I can't work with, Just very inconvenient

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Indesign GPU enablement on Windows

InDesign 17.4 x64

It would be nice and desirable if there was also GPU support in Indesign and Windows 11 Pro like Photoshop and Illustrator.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. DAY 41 - Slow Publish Online document loading - Case ADB-25741223-T9S3

This issue is now in it's 41st day since I reported. Also I've recently noticed that when I go to publish online, even that is slow now. Can adobe please sort this out as Publish Online is an important part of my business and slow document speed means poor delivery for clients
    @Derek Cross @Rishabh_Tiwari @Manan Joshi

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Locked Files in InDesign 16 (CC2021) + MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) + special Character Filenames on SMB Share

When opening Files with special characters (german umlauts like äöü) on a SMB Network Share with MacOS 10.14 + InDesign 16 (sometimes on 2nd try) I get a "Document can't be opened, permission problem or already opened" (translated by me).

When downgrading to InDesign 15 or Upgrading to a newer OSX the problem is gone. But I am bound to that Versions because of hardwarecompatibility, so it would be nice to have a fix for that.

I can see, that InDesign 15 on Mojave and InDesign 16 on newer MacOS Versions is creating a lockfile, but InDesign 16 + Mojave…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Can't click through InDesign to desktop or other app + InDesign list panels tilt

When I click on panel boxes to adjust values like font size, transparency, color tone etc, InDesign list panels (swatches, fonts etc) tilt and list elements slip away from mouse selection like they were magnetic.
    Can't exit from InDesign window (mouse click to desktop or other apps doesn't work). Functionality can be restored only by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Canc and then Esc.

InDesign version: 16.4.2 (and earlier versions)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. missing menu

Having some issues with my menus in Indesign 17.3 / MacOS 12.5.1
    A few of them have been showing up blank and I haven't been able to find a fix, and working off the top menu bar in the meantime is very tedious. Any suggestions welcome.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. large file freezes indesign 2022

newly installed indesign 2022, while opening a small file opens correctly, but while trying to open a large file freezes with no response. happened on to laptops, works great on a stationary. HELP

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign steals focus in Windows 10 - again (2022)

If you switch to another application, while InDesign is launching, InDesign will steal the focus back, even repeatedly if you are quick enough to switch to the other application more than once, and/or have a slow computer (e.g. battery saver mode while opening a large document may exaggerate the problem).

I'm fairly certain that this irritating behaviour was gone from late 2017, since the earlier bug report (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/31913773-indesign-steals-focus-in-windows-10) was closed after lack of activity (3 years old) in 2021, and the old thread on the forum https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/how-to-prevent-adobe-software-stealing-focus-in-windows-10-locked/td-p/7773884/page/5 was active until late 2017. At Nov 17th 2017 users edvardkrupke…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Menu/panel bugs

Indesign 2022 v17.4 (up to date with latest version)
    Upon opening indesign, resetting menus and preferences, restarting, etc. Issues have been ongoing for at least a week.

Align menu items are offset so that the ones at the bottom can't be used.
    Paragraph and character menu fields are offset, can't be selected or edited and randomly cause indesign to crash and close completely when clicked.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 6 8 10 43 44
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base