Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. overset endnotes

Not sure where to post this. I do a lot of journals using Indesign. I find that in Indesign 2018 and 2019 when you place a Word.doc with endnotes it brings in the endnotes okay but only the first page. The other endnotes are overset. It does not do this in Indesign 2017. Can something be done to fix this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. cut off the text After dash (place from clipboard)

At text insertion through a clipboard the text after a strange dash is cut off.
    When placing through drag&drop everything is normal.

Bug dush from Word's XML
    - <w:r w:rsidRPr="00981F9F">
    <w:sym w:font="Symbol" w:char="F02D" />
    </w:r>
    - <w:r w:rsidRPr="00981F9F">
    - <w:rPr>
    <w:color w:val="000000" />
    </w:rPr>

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Raleway no longer a font

Raleway has been a font I've used for a week. I used it this morning and came back after lunch and it's no longer an option.

Can I please have this font back?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 2 Headings in 1 cell is displayed incorrectly in the TOC

Since InDesign version 14.0 x64 (Windows), when creating or updating a TOC, the second heading is directly connected to the first heading without any distance and without chapter number. This only happens if both source headings are in 1 cell.

The proof: Documents made before version 14 have a correct TOC. If I open such a document with version 14 and update the TOC, it will break as mentioned above.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

5. table changes format for no reason

When I create a new table and attempt to drop it into an Indesign CC 2019 layout, it completely changes format and cell sizes and is missing type in some cells.... I've attempted to place it into a new doc, and old doc it isn't staying formatted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Copying data from Excel table into InDesign table. Data goes into one cell, rather than all.

When pasting Excel table into InDesign table, all cells go into 1st cell as a complete table, rather than populating the table.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. images oversized on text import

This is not a new issue. Just haven't reported it before.
    I work on educational books. Text comes in Word files.
    Almost every time I place a Word file with graphics, the graphics show up HUGE. Some are so big, the only way I've been able to deal with is create a huge file, open the text box up to include every bit of space.
    Today... the only size that would allow me to see the graphic was 400p x 400p!

Not an isolated issue. I receive Word files from multiple sources, and every Word file upon import has graphics…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Arabic Diacritics move to unwanted places if you use an Index Marker in the same line

1. Adobe InDesign CC 14.0 (Middle Eastern version -- English يدعم العربية)

2. a. Type this Arabic text: شَيْء غريب

3. b. Create new Index entry for the second word: غريب

4. The Diacritics should stay as they were.

5. Diacritic of the second letter (يْ) goes somewhere else.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Indesign CC 2019 Bugs(Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables)

I usually use the inDesign to import the created word file.
    However, if I check the Preserve Styles and Formatting from Text and Tables in indesign cc 2019 and import the file, the formatting of the text will be deleted.
    This does not happen with Indesign cc 2018, but this will continue to happen in this 2019 upgrade.
    I ask you to correct this problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Text disappears when task is changed

Text disappears when task is changed (returned to ID, v14 x64 Win10). Scrolling helps if the text is outside the window.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Non-breaking spaces & non-joiner odd behavior

The attached file has a bunch of samples. In summary, ID2018 on Mac considers a word and following spaces as one word; and a non-joiner is ignored. You'll need New Century Schoolbook LT Std to maintain proper spacing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Right Arrow / Left Arrow in tables

InDesign version 14.0.

The keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+Right Arrow" to move one word to the right does not work when the text cursor is in a table. Same for "Ctrl+Left Arrow", to move one word to the left.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020.

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Jagged Text - CC 2019

Adobe Indesign CC 2019 Enabling GPU Enhancement makes text jagged and discolored. This bug is happening on an iMac using the latest OS "Mojave".

Below are examples of text with and without GPU enhancement.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Drop Cap/Nested Style Broken in InDesign CC 2019

Since upgrading to InDesign CC 2019, when I edit a paragraph that has a nested style applied to the first line, the entire paragraph takes on the nested style. The paragraph behaves normally until I edit it. Unfortunately, but unsurprisingly, the behavior is inconsistent. If I copy and paste the text into a new text box, the behavior does not occur, but if I link the existing text to that new box, it continues to happen.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

17. no break is not working 100%

InDesign CC 14.0 no break is not working all the time. Trying to keep web address together and have no break applied but the text is still splitting even though it can fit a single line of the text box. If I change width of text box the spaces get compressed and almost looks like there is no space between words.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. CC 2019 - Not all installed fonts show up in in search/font list

When I select a word, want to change the font and type a font that I have installed, it doesnt show up in the search. It does show up in the list though.

In the pictures, for example Alana and AnnabelleJF are in the List, but don't appear when searching for them. (Instead Andalus is showing, which didn't show in the list before...(???)

If i click on the Adobe Fonts Tab ("find more"/"mehr suchen") of course it shows those, but its a big hassle searching for a font and always having to switch between tabs. All installed fonts should be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Text cursor position not accurate

Using Text on Path (Circle), every time. If I click in specific area to make a text correction the cursor shows in the correct area needing change but when typing it is actually 4 characters out of place affecting text not needing changes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Static Endnotes

When importing Word files with Static Endnotes ticked from Word .doc files the endnote indicators within the text are no longer superior. There is no character style to be able to change these back. Without these indicators remaining superior makes the Static Endnotes a waste of time if you work in .doc instead of .docx. We always use .doc files as there are too many bugs using .docx - bits of text missing; loss of italics here and there etc. Using .doc files are always foolproof. We are typesetters manipulating text 12 hours a day and know all the pit…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base