Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

479 results found

1. Popup menus appearing off screen, and move shortcut not working to move them back to where they are accessible.

make popup menus either appear on one of my 3 screens, preferably the screen that indesign program is open on. And if that is too hard, let the alt-space-m shortcut to move menus work. One at the moment is the find replace fonts. it's off screen and no way to bring it back that i can find.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Blank EPUB Interactivity Panel in InDesign 16.3.2 on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) running OS 10.15.7 Catalina.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign. I've installed it again deleting all old prefs. I've restarted reinstalled software and dumped prefs on start up holding down Shift/Ctrl/ALT/Cmd keys, and 'Yes' clicked when asked if I want to delete preferences file. I am at my wits end with this issue.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. libraries

******* Adobe, I'm still getting this CC libraries pane in InDesign being super zoomed-in... it comes and goes but I always have to restart InDesign to correct it... only to have it return to plague me constantly.

I've spent over 2 hours with Adobe Support with no solution, and I've uninstalled/reinstalled multiple versions (including the latest) many times.

Nothing works!

See attached image to view the problem.

This has been like this since late 2020! ADOBE CAN YOU PLEASE FIX YOUR SOFTWARE?!?!?!?!?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. UI gets blurry

UI gets blurry if my 1440p monitor is the secondary screen.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. New Document UI Bug - Spec Tabbing

When creating a New Document...
    After you type your Width and hit the tab button it should always toggle next to Height, NOT toggle to Units. This is a UI bug that has come and gone numerous times over the years. I can not conceive of any situation a designer who is working quickly would ever decide to adjust their Units after they have put in their Width specs.

Please correct this.... again

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InDesign 16.2.1 + Mojave still missing Create New Folder (cmd+shift+N) and Show Original (cmd+R)

Adobe please fix this issue. It very frustrating that you can not create folder inside open/save window dialog with a shortcut. Every other program allows that. Am I the only one that is using keyboard shortcuts? This bug is there now for about half a year. Is it really so hard to fix this? Pleeeeeease.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Pages panel does not scroll when dragging page to a new position

When draggin a page to a position not show in the panel, it should scroll along. but it doesn't.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Everything on artboard goes to bitmap intermittently

Running iD (15.1.3) on Windows 7 - Don't laugh this isn't my machine but the one I have to work on. grrrr!
    Every now and again the entire artboard contents and surrounds (not the UI), changes to low resolution resulting in something resembling a scene from the game Minecraft, fonts images imported vector graphics etc. This is only on inDesign, no other program, so it's not a system or graphics card error. The attached image shows up as all bitmapped but tin reality it's just the artboard that goes pear shaped. Is there a fix for this or is it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. What if I could double click the application title bar to minimize a window into the dock?

Dear Adobe,
    Double-clicking a title bar to minimize a window is Mac behavior that goes back to the first release of OS10 in 2001. It is based on an even older behavior from OS9 where double clicking a title bar would "windowshade" the window like a roller blind rolling up into itself.

Apple and Adobe train us all the time to adapt to new technologies and interfaces. Some behaviors we learn are easy to shake off and adapt to the new ones, especially if we haven't done them for very long. As a creative professional who has obviously done this…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Unable to kill find missing fonts background process

If the preferences setting to automatically find missing fonts is set, there are three major issues:

1/ The background process never times out,
    2/ The background process severely degrades InDesign performance for everything else, and
    3/ There is no way to manually kill that background process. If we could, then issues 1 and 2 would not be such problems. If the fonts aren't found, or the internet connection is hinky, or if the Adobe servers are under heavy load or having other issues, we could just kill that background process and then either try again later or design an workaround…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Small interface and large cursors with duel monitors on Windows with Indesign 2021

I am using a 15' Dell laptop with 27' Asus monitor and whenever I move the InDesign window from my laptop to my larger monitor to work on, the interface stays small and pixelated. The cursor is overly large and I am unable to change the UI interface to fix this. The bug has disrupted my workflow and ability to utilize all of InDesign's feature effectively.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Garbled type on "Welcome to Indesign" page

InDesign 16.0.2

Not every time, but often the "Welcome to InDesign" page has garbled/overlapping labels under the thumbnails of all the recent documents as shown in the attached screenshot.

Changing the size of the application frame window moves the overlapping elements around, but they are still largely illegible. See second screenshot.

Switching to the list view and then back to thumbnails clears the problem.

--Jim Gibson

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. ID File Finder windows always revert back to minimal size after each use

All windows in the File menu that access the Finder (Save As, Export, Place, etc) always revert back to their minimal size after using them once instead of keeping last used size. Always need to resize the window to see more items in my destination folder.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. indesign 16.2 workspace frame unresponsive stuck in place

indesign frame workspace won't move, won't grab, red close button unresponsive & won't close ... so many bugs regarding the panels and frames!!!!!

catalina
    indesign 16.2 for mac

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Media panel gone HUGE

So, after running in a while on the new Adobe 2020 app, I noticed that the Media panel started to grow in size each time I opened the tab. Before I could notice, the Media panel was absolutely huge.

I tried to:

• Reset the workplace

• Reset the UI scalling

• Uninstall and Install again InDesign 2020 (While removing UI Preferences)

• Restart PC

Nothing has worked.

The only solution that seems to work as of right now is to downgrade to 2019.

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Relink window too small!

When I go to relink, which is all the time, I have to resize the window as it defaults to a really small size, and it doesn't remember it so I have to do every. Single. Time.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign UI frame changes colour

I guess this is a bug but i actually think it could be a good idea. Attached are a couple of examples of what's happened on my screen from time to time. The UI takes on a florescent colour - and all palette names/numbers, etc change to this colour.
    Small appearing UI's seems to have been quite a big topic in recent years - especially as we all move toward 4K screens. So this 'bug', if that's what it is, seems to work really well for me and gives the whole workspace much more clarity. But i just have no…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. InDesign UI frame changes colour

I guess this is a bug but i actually think it could be a good idea. Attached are a couple of examples of what's happened on my screen from time to time. The UI takes on a florescent colour - and all palette names/numbers, etc change to this colour.
    Small appearing UI's seems to have been quite a big topic in recent years - especially as we all move toward 4K screens. So this 'bug', if that's what it is, seems to work really well for me and gives the whole workspace much more clarity. But i just have no…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign 16.1 menu unclickable. Always shows hour glass cursor on Windows

Hi,

Starting today morning I am facing issues in accessing menu items on my InDesign 2021 16.1 on Windows. The application cursor is the wait cursor mode and clicking on any menu item does not have any effect. Even keyboard can't be used to select any menu items. However, I can open a new document using "Create new" button as shown.

I can't understand what's the issue and how to resolve. FYI, I have InDesign 2015 Release and Debug versions installed on this machine

Please advice.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Smart guides not working at all

Snap to grid and smart guides or any function where cursor automatically snaps to edge, corner, or center point is not working. I am currently using version 16.0. I have restarted the program 5 times. All of these features are check marked and turned on despite the features not working at all.

I will not work on my project because of this issue. I need to rely on the precise support of smart guides and snap to guides in order to do what I have to do. I'm very disappointed with this bug and upset I'm set back so much…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 23 24
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base