1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. datamerge control layer visibility and ability to control more via data

would be cool if we could select the ID-layers-visibility via datamerge. (like Photoshop can do since CS1)
    For example:

data1: layer1 is visible, layer 2 is invisible
    data2: layer2 is visible, layer 1 is invisible
    etc.

AND: it would be great to select objectstyles via datamerge. like XMPie can do.

But XMPie is far much too expensive for small daily business.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Change PDF page number / .ai artboard number without placing the file each time

In a similar sense to the Object Layer Options, it would be awesome if there was a context menu option to switch to a different page number in .pdf and different artboards in .ai files.

This way when inserting a multiple page PDF For example, I can copy the object then go into the context menu and select the next desired page. Currently I spend more time looking through the OS filesystem to place the same PDF again.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. gpu on non-retina mac machines

I am staggered that Adobe InDesign does not support GPU performance on standard display i-Macs - there must be tens of thousands of frustrated InDesign users now struggling with performance issues. This is a huge oversight, particularly when Photoshop and Illustrator both support GPU performance on older iMacs - sad to say very poor of Adobe.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. merge text frames

When copying data from other inDesign files into a new InDesign file, I always end up with multiple text frames, most of them empty, because it creates a new text frame every time, stacked on top of the empty one that was already there. It's very frustrating and has been a talked-about issue for a while (based on my Google searches.) Please, add a Merge Text Frames option to the menu. None of the scripts I've used have worked. It's torturous. As an author, I am constantly editing my text and it's frustrating to realize that adjusting a master page…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Have the option to make page numbers as words (one, two, three).

Make it possible to add page numbers as words (one, two, three) as opposed to just numbers and roman numerals.
    Also make it possible to integrate this with things such as the Table of Contents feature.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Apply Multiple Master Pages per Page (Akin to Layers)

Ideally, InDesign would treat master pages like layers. In this manner, a variable number of master pages could be applied to any page, allowing for more efficient and quicker customization of page layout. For example, a user might set up the following master pages:

A-Body (1 Col.)
    B-Body (2 Col.)
    C-Body (Fig. or Table)
    D-Header (Full)
    E-Header (Partial)
    F-Footer (Full)
    G-Footer (Partial)

In this example, the many possible combinations, such as AD, AF, ADF, AE, AG, AEG, BD, etc. (based on layout needs) wouldn't need to be created. More importantly, as in styles based on parent styles, changes would effectively…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Adding feature for first page number in Text Variable

We work a lot in typesetting Journal which need to mention page number for each article. The 'last page number' in Text Variable are very useful and I wish to have an option for first page number in the feature. In current situation, I have to change the first page number manually if the pagination changed.
    Thank you.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enable Hyperlinks to Stay Live in PDFs ... Even After Importation into InDesign

Hi folks

We have figured out a 'work-around' to the problem of maintaining live hyperlinks in PDFs throughout the entire exporting/importing process in InDesign. However, it's purely a bandaid - although it works well. It would be great to have this process built in as a feature. I've attached a PDF with our workflow methodologies for your review.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Hyperlink through ENTIRE book.

Hyperlink pages throughout an entire book. You can only link on the current pages of a document and not the book - I've a 100 page + document and I've to combine it into one doc - madness!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. New file icons (cc 2018) a step back

Just wanted to bring up something that is hindering my workflow as-of-late - the new file icons for Adobe (using Mac).

I find that the new icons are abrasive visually, but beyond that the function is a bit of a setback. For instance, I used to be able to tell the difference between an .indd file and an .idml file even at the smallest icon size, because there was a distinct difference between the two. Now, however, the difference is so subtle, given that the color/shape of the icons are nearly identical, save a little beveled corner that is indistinguishable…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Bleed on different size page documents

Allow for documents with different size pages the ability to choose which page has bleed. For example, when creating a document that has a card and envelope in it, choose the card page to have bleed/crop marks and remove bleed/crop marks from the envelope.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ability to anchor graphics across spreads

Because with accessibility it is important to anchor graphics, sometimes when the graphic reference is on the previous spread or the next spread, it is necessary to anchor to another spread when the graphic doesn't fit. When you do this, indesign will automatically move the graphic to another page. You should have the ability to anchor something across spreads.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Managing multiple tabs in InDesign is an abomination

Managing multiple tabs in InDesign is an abomination. Firstly, the tolerance between reshuffling tabs and pulling a tab out to a separate window is far too small. Try doing this on a 4K screen, move your mouse a couple of millimetres up or down and all of a sudden your tab is now it's own window. Worse still is that when you pull it back into the tabs, it goes right to the back.

This leads me to my second issue. The lack of any way to reshuffle tabs that have multiple tabs in between. There are two ways to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow usage of Data Merge within the Slug

We often use internal templates, that utilize the slug area of documents to handle file-specific data. Often we will utilize Data Merge to populate these fields, but we can only do so if our text fields are moved from the slug area, into the document. This of course forces us to move the slug-specific content back into the slug on what can easily be hundreds of documents.

Please expand Data Merge to being useable for document text fields that don't lie directly on the page(s).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Place a page from a document into itself on a different page

I work on price lists and we have a page that explains how to use the price list. In that descriptive page, I insert an illustrator file of one of the product pages. The problem is that the information, prices and images are changed from time to time and the description page becomes outdated. If I were able to place an indesign page from the same document into itself then the information would always be up to date.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. remove canvas size limits for wide format printing _ or make an option to work in 10% scale mode

Either remove the limitations or provide a "10% mode" that can be switched to (with a click of a button) that calculates dimensions and gives a visual representation of the artwork degradation of the files after enlarging to 100%

actually anything that would help large format printers - which is a large part of your user base - but seems to be forgotten during your program design stage

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Please make hyphenation an option, NOT the default

In the Paragraph Panel, hyphenation is selected as the default option, but we know that breaking words across lines lowers readability in text. Please keep it as an option for instances where it's needed, but don't make it the default. When changing it, it should also be universal to a document (in other words, you shouldn't have to click every text box to turn it off).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow Master Pages to be Marked so that Page Numbering Ignores Them

Sometimes my documents have pages that don't count as pages when it comes to page numbering but I can't set exceptions to Master Pages so that they are not included.

I can restart the numbering manually using exiting tools, but the numbers are rendered incorrect if any pages are moved. Having the ability to mark a Master Page as "don't include this page for numbering purposes" would be very useful.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Show page information in layout

I want the option to display a pagename and/or pagesize on top of pages. This would be very useful when designing several adds in the same ID-file, many with almost the same size. With the ability to name the pages it will be easier to navigate the file. I have attached an example.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Indesign work files have huge file size

I am used to work with older versions of indesign, and sometimes quark. The file sizes I am used to is around 300 Mb at most. On the newer indesign I get file sizes up to almost 3 GB! All the images I use combined in the document is not even a quart of that size, and I do not embed any images. This takes up a lot of space and makes it hard to work in a network environment.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base