When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Lock Pages - Lock Pages to prevent changes when specific page design has been finalized

I'm working on a 55 page Yearbook and I'm now working on a page per page basis; I complete one page and move on. Some of the pages I know FOR SURE that they are done; I would love to be able to lock them to prevent further changes. They would not be altered by master page changes or anything else; just locked and ready to go.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cross-Reference feature

I'm an avid user of InDesign; currently working on a book-length document of about 150 pages. I often want to cross-reference something said earlier; however it is buried somewhere in the hundreds of paragraphs of the article story format. That means it's very hard to find that paragraph so that I can simply refer to the page number it's on (see attached file of image capture).

Here's my suggestion: Add a field in the cross-reference dialog box where you can copy in a few leading words of the paragraph you want to find, then have the paragraph text field find…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make the 'next page' button in the bottom left have a drop down to toggle it between next page and next spread.

When scrolling through a document now, the view jumps between let and right. It might be less disorientating to switch quickly through the spreads than jumping left and right.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Google Photos and Docs Integration

It would be great if you could place photos or text from Google services - Google Photos, Google Docs, Google Drive. InDesign would simply need to integrate the Google APIs for those services, then it would be seamless to import these objects - better yet would be supporting of links, so edits to Docs could be updated in InDesign the same way changed photos show update status of linked photos.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to change the page of the linked pdf

I would love to see the ability to change the page number of a linked pdf in the links palette - as it stands you have to relink file, click 'show import options' (which then remains on when you don't want it to) navigate to the pdf then click through what page you want to display. It's slow and clunky. A simple icon next to the link where you could select the desired page would speed my workflow up massively.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Lorem ipsum reminder before Save.

If "Lorem ipsum" appears in the file, when Save is tapped, before saving , a "Lorem ipsum Alert" should appear, so that this placeholder does not find its way into print in error. This suggestion applies to ID, PS and AI.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. command hot keys not working

Shift, option keys aren't working. Proportions won't constraint while holding the shift key and items won't duplicate while holding option key.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Cross-reference window really too small

I have to cross-reference dozens and dozens (not to say hundreds and hundreds) of items according to their item number. Of course, they all have a paragraph style and can be found, but not easily: the dialog box for the cross-reference is way too small, displaying only 6 items at the time and we need to scroll and scroll and scroll. On top of that, the items do not appear in alphabetical (or in this case by increasing number) but just randomly. Hair loss guaranted and nerve breaking after an hour of work on the menu too. Would it be…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. InDesign Templates and Style updates

I start by making an InDesign template and incorporating all the object and paragraph styles I think I'll need. Then from my template I create my first document. However, as I proceed with actual content on that document I find I want to modify some styles, add new ones, etc.

There does not seem to be a way to have my template updated automatically with those style changes/additions. This would be a great help because my template is no longer usable as an "old version". So, I have to save my new document onto and replace that older template (without…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Increase section prefix 8 character limit

Can only have a section prefix of 8 letters. Would be nice to remove this limitation.

Any reason why a limit was imposed? Does it serve any purpose?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Keeping the format when updating the spreadsheet link indesign data merge

After creating a linked data merge file, you can then go in and edit certain field. But, if the excel sheet needs updating, you then have to 'data merge' again and lose all formatted text/images etc. There are third party apps, like WordsFlow, but this is expensive. Please have this feature in InDesign! Thankings.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Change the page size

When changing the page size, the current page content is centered relative to the new size. Or it would be nice, if I could choose to attach current content to one of the corners of the page, the same way I can choose the transformation anchor point (the square with the nine anchor points)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Anonymous responded

Thanks for this suggestion. I need a little more information in trying to understand this request a bit more:

1. Is the situation that you have created a design already or have an existing design and now need to change the page size. Any description on why you need to change the page would be helpful.
    2. How drastic is the page size change. Is it just a minor change or is it something like changing from portrait mode to landscape.
    3. Please share links to any screenshot of the document where you recently needed this feature. This would help us better understand this request.

14. many users working on the same file simultaneously.

2 users - one is working on pages 1 to 20, other one is working from 21 to the end - but file is the same.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Tabbing Order when creating a new document

When tabbing on NEW DOCUMENT, the tab order goes from Width - Units - Height. It should go from Width - Height - Units. Illustrator does this correctly, Indesign has them in different (and distracting) order. Consistent between apps would be helpful!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. datamerge control layer visibility and ability to control more via data

would be cool if we could select the ID-layers-visibility via datamerge. (like Photoshop can do since CS1)
    For example:

data1: layer1 is visible, layer 2 is invisible
    data2: layer2 is visible, layer 1 is invisible
    etc.

AND: it would be great to select objectstyles via datamerge. like XMPie can do.

But XMPie is far much too expensive for small daily business.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Change PDF page number / .ai artboard number without placing the file each time

In a similar sense to the Object Layer Options, it would be awesome if there was a context menu option to switch to a different page number in .pdf and different artboards in .ai files.

This way when inserting a multiple page PDF For example, I can copy the object then go into the context menu and select the next desired page. Currently I spend more time looking through the OS filesystem to place the same PDF again.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. merge text frames

When copying data from other inDesign files into a new InDesign file, I always end up with multiple text frames, most of them empty, because it creates a new text frame every time, stacked on top of the empty one that was already there. It's very frustrating and has been a talked-about issue for a while (based on my Google searches.) Please, add a Merge Text Frames option to the menu. None of the scripts I've used have worked. It's torturous. As an author, I am constantly editing my text and it's frustrating to realize that adjusting a master page…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Have the option to make page numbers as words (one, two, three).

Make it possible to add page numbers as words (one, two, three) as opposed to just numbers and roman numerals.
    Also make it possible to integrate this with things such as the Table of Contents feature.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Apply Multiple Master Pages per Page (Akin to Layers)

Ideally, InDesign would treat master pages like layers. In this manner, a variable number of master pages could be applied to any page, allowing for more efficient and quicker customization of page layout. For example, a user might set up the following master pages:

A-Body (1 Col.)
    B-Body (2 Col.)
    C-Body (Fig. or Table)
    D-Header (Full)
    E-Header (Partial)
    F-Footer (Full)
    G-Footer (Partial)

In this example, the many possible combinations, such as AD, AF, ADF, AE, AG, AEG, BD, etc. (based on layout needs) wouldn't need to be created. More importantly, as in styles based on parent styles, changes would effectively…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base