1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Endnotes--better coordination Word to InDesign

In the newer versions of ID, they very helpfully allow endnotes to be linked to the numbers in the text (so that, if you delete the number, the note itself is also deleted, and all renumber accordingly). However, when you import/place a Word file of text that has endnotes, the endnotes get placed into a separate text box, and it is obnoxious. I want to put the endnotes in the same text flow as everything else, but you can’t copy and paste because the notes are linked, and the numbers will get deleted from the text if you try to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Preflight Panel: Page Range Textbox should be wider

In the preflight panel, the textbox that you can type page ranges into is simply too small, leading to confusion when you're working with higher-numbered ranges. See attached images of the same range and how digits are easily obscured.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Notes in Pages Panel

When working on a large document like a book (particularly if you are designing the book while you are producing it), you are constantly revising parts of the page, then going back to refine it as the design evolves. It would be great if you could mark up the Pages Panel with notes (like PDF markups) in the pasteboard like space around the spread icons. This would allow you to leave yourself or others on a team critical information about what is a placeholder and what should be reconsidered.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Change position of Trashcan icon in Index palette

You can create a new index entry at the cursor position by dragging an existing page reference to the Create New Index Entry icon at the bottom of the Index palette. However, that icon is adjacent to the Trash icon, and both are small. It is too easy to drag the existing page reference onto the Trash icon instead, thus deleting (without a warning!) the existing entry instead of creating a new one. Moving the Trash icon to between the Update Preview or Generate Index icons would reduce this risk. Or add some space and/or a vertical line before the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Live references to images/figures

1. I need each image to have a caption which begins with "Figure 1: blah blah" and if I move the image, the caption should automatically re-number. I think I have the automatic re-numbering working using paragraph styles, but doing that seems to prohibit the other things I need to do, such as...

2. I need to have each image coupled with an in-text reference, like. "As seen in Figure 1, blah blah blah." And if I move the image, again, not only would the caption re-number but the in-text reference to it would re-number automatically, too.

3. Finally, that…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Long text authoring experience

InDesign is usually employed in post-production, after the auther had finished writing a book, a screenwriter his script. You could make inDesign the tool of choice for writers, thanks to its wonderful authoring experience. Enhanced long document editor. This opens the market for independent publishers and authors to make their creation end-to-end, from inception to finish

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Book files | make list of all files seachable and make groups for better overview

When having a Bookfile with a lot of files in it. It is nearly not possible to find the right files. It would be nice if it would be possible to make any groups and make it searchable to find them easier.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Layer selection when creating Table of Contents

A book having multiple subdocuments in which 3 different languages are used, that each have their own layer, should have a selection of which layer should be addresses when generating the table of contents for it, so that the ToC can also be made in the different languages, per layer.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Pages panel for book wiev

I want the pages panel to display the whole book. Sometimes it is very useful to see the transitions between chapters before exporting to PDF. Double click a page and it opens the file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Condition Sets: Show overrides when the set has a +

In every other panel, when there is a style override, resulting in a + symbol, if you hover over the symbol, it will tell you specifically what the overrides are. For example, a different type size, or font family or leading or something along those lines.

But in the Condition Sets dropdown, all you get is that there are overrides. And you can either clear them or redefine the set. But if I choose to clear the overrides, I have no way of knowing what the result will be.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Expand on notes

Expand on notes to include anchors on ranges of text and shapes. Additionally, allow notes to display on margins when exporting to PDF.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Editable hyperlinks in imported .icml files

Please let us edit hyperlinks in an imported .icml. We can edit paragraph/character styles as we wish since they are not counted as content. But the same applies for hyperlinks, or at least anchor text/pages hyperlinks.
    As of now whenever you import an .icml with an anchor text hyperlink the destination disappears.
    Incopy is useful also for people that update multiple documents where only small parts of text differ while the rest is the same, but must be update anyway so you end up only editing one of the very long files instead of 15 and you're sure that you…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Drop down menu mixed with replace feature for contacts/agreements

Inside of InDesign, I'd love a way to use the drop down menu feature that when you select an option inside of there it replaces that word with the newly selected word throughout a document. This would be great for contract/agreements, or any long documents.

For example the drop down menu could have "marketer", "consultant", "freelancer", etc. Then depending on which item you selected it would replace that word inside the document entirely!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. When updating the cross-references in a book, InDesign crashes if it finds an unresolved cross reference

It would be helpful if, instead of crashing, InDesign would just let me know that there's a problem instead of crashing for no apparent reason!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Page number more accessible

Could you add a button to the Pages panel to insert the page number? It's the logical place for new users to look.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Show Preview whole Indesign Book

When working in an Indesign Book, I can work on individual Indesign documents. But when I need an overview of the whole Book, to check concistency in Lay-out, Design, colours etcetera, I have to export a Pdf everytime when pages are re-designed. That is pretty annoying. I would like to see a Lay-out preview of all pages in a fast way by just "flipping a switch" on or off as if all pages were in one document.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support Apple Pages file as original text file

I use Pages a lot, more than word, as pages support a lot of macOS native shortcut and I like to use them to quickly do my text editing, but word on the other hand has too many shortcut that doest follow the logic in macOS…

As a heavy Pages user, it would be a huge time saving option to be able to link my pages file into indesign the same way as word file does.

I like the idea of doing my text in a clean text editor like Pages, and linking it to InDesign to do the heavy…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Remove [All paragraph] from Cross-Reference

After the update Indesign to the latest version, there is an option for [All Paragraph] when creating a new cross-reference. This has led to a very slow performance when it tries to load all paragraph by default.

The alternative is having a "unchecked" option for user, perhaps?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Edit all Export Tags for all INDDs of a book (INDB) in one place

In order to export a book to EPUB, I need all export tags (classes) to be perfectly consistent even if the styles they are assigned to aren’t (and deliberately so, which is why they can’t be simply synced via book sync).

Currently there seems to be no other way than to open “Edit all export tags” from the panel menu in every single INDD of the book (which of course is already a huge progress compared to opening every single paragraph and character style).

Please let us edit the export tags on book level for all INDDs of a book.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. H&Js

Please add several built-in H&Js that we can preselect and let us create and also let us save our own so that we can reuse them in different styles and different documents.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base