2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

150 results found

1. nest pages

The pages panel is the most ridiculously cumbersome thing in the world!

I make digital planners and regularly work with documents that are over 2k pages long- there is SO MUCH SCROLLING OH MY GOD
    Please make pages nestable where we can group them together and expand or hide as necessary like photoshop layers folders.
    if designers are working on a book there's absolutely no need to see the entire book all the time - being able to work chapter by chapter is so much easier to manage than scrolling for a month!

Also the scrolling in the pages panel…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Add open documents to a book

Allow documents to be open when adding them to a book. This used to be allowed. Now you must close all documents before adding them to a book, then re-open them again. Waste of time.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Print Shared Review Notes and Markups

Option to print either Reviews on a shared document or the Markups, strike throughs and highlights on the document

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make Table of Contents menu robust and intuitive

Make Table of Contents intuitive. It's a powerful tool, and yet difficult to set up even for an experienced user. The navigate the setup menu is static but closes every time. The explanations are poor, and impossible to navigate without watching a bunch of tutorials (and the user manual is not helpful either). Because the layout formating is done in paragraph styles it's difficult to know what and where to change to get a specific result. This software is supposed to make creating a long document easy and yet formatting a TOC requires so much pre-knowledge without any directions in…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. index

Right now the cross-referenc markers in the index cannot be modified. They are set to e.g. see or see also. They cannot be switched easily to another language. So everytime a document is translated those cross-reference markers need to be translated manually in the document (find & replace) which means that everytime the Index is updated or the document is translated again the markers again have to be translated.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Present cross references in alphabetical order

In a large document with hundreds of cross references, hunting for the right cross reference is a disaster. The list is in some random order (or maybe last made, first shown?). Presenting these alphabetically based on paragraph text (including numbers from variables such as caption numbers!) woul dbe enormously helpful.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Have a paragraph style call a master page

Particularly useful if preparing a book with chapters. This would allow the opening page of a chapter to use a different master page than the rest of the document. Then, if the book is edited and the text reflows, chapter starts would still have the correct master. I can think of other uses, such as when an image is designed to bleed off a page and you don't want the headers to print. There are lots more.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. footnote/endnote styles

Ability to define footnote/endnote styles (as opposed to the formatting styles contained within the the footnote/endnote definition) and synchronize these across the book documents. Would save a lot of time in books with many documents.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Expand on notes

Expand on notes to include anchors on ranges of text and shapes. Additionally, allow notes to display on margins when exporting to PDF.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Support Apple Pages file as original text file

I use Pages a lot, more than word, as pages support a lot of macOS native shortcut and I like to use them to quickly do my text editing, but word on the other hand has too many shortcut that doest follow the logic in macOS…

As a heavy Pages user, it would be a huge time saving option to be able to link my pages file into indesign the same way as word file does.

I like the idea of doing my text in a clean text editor like Pages, and linking it to InDesign to do the heavy…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Remove [All paragraph] from Cross-Reference

After the update Indesign to the latest version, there is an option for [All Paragraph] when creating a new cross-reference. This has led to a very slow performance when it tries to load all paragraph by default.

The alternative is having a "unchecked" option for user, perhaps?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Preflight Panel: Page Range Textbox should be wider

In the preflight panel, the textbox that you can type page ranges into is simply too small, leading to confusion when you're working with higher-numbered ranges. See attached images of the same range and how digits are easily obscured.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Long text authoring experience

InDesign is usually employed in post-production, after the auther had finished writing a book, a screenwriter his script. You could make inDesign the tool of choice for writers, thanks to its wonderful authoring experience. Enhanced long document editor. This opens the market for independent publishers and authors to make their creation end-to-end, from inception to finish

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Edit all Export Tags for all INDDs of a book (INDB) in one place

In order to export a book to EPUB, I need all export tags (classes) to be perfectly consistent even if the styles they are assigned to aren’t (and deliberately so, which is why they can’t be simply synced via book sync).

Currently there seems to be no other way than to open “Edit all export tags” from the panel menu in every single INDD of the book (which of course is already a huge progress compared to opening every single paragraph and character style).

Please let us edit the export tags on book level for all INDDs of a book.…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. In some jurisdictions they may have to have line numbers, but not in Federal or any that I practice in.

In some jurisdictions they may have to have line numbers, but not in Federal or any that I practice in.

A TOA is a table containing the name of all cases, statutes and other authorities used in the document and the page reference.

One complex is that the reference in the table may be slighly different from that in the text.

The table entry may look liked

ABC v. XYZ, 123 F.3d 456 (12th Cir. 1992) .... 4, 5, 10, 16

The references in the text may look like

ABC v. XYZ, 123 F.3d 456, 460-461 (12th Cir. 1992)
    ABC…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Relative path to linked excel tables and images

I have folders structure for my engineering report. I want to use it for other projects too. So I need possibility to set relative paths for linked tables and pictures to have possibility to copy whole report structure to the new place and repeate all calculations and make new report. Now I have to copy structure, rename old project folder to force InDesign to take new project folder, open new report book,update all links,save new report book with all documents. Restore name of old project folder.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Floating sticky notes

Floating sticky notes that I can make myself, for example "Photos completed" "Text revised" "Needs consult" etc. that can be grabbed and stuck to pages, especially for long documents and that remain visible/accessible on every page.I want something I can just grab and stick, grab and stick, etc. rather than create/type a unique note for each page.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add more Styles (paragraph and character) to the auto Styles pack

I really loved the new Style Pack feature. I spend a lot of time mapping long documents and the Auto feature helped heaps. I know that it is recent, so I am wondering when we would be allowed to add new Styles to create a more complex hierarchy for the documents. Thank you :)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Rearranging Pages

It would be helpful to have a way to view multiple spreads at the same time, like a better "click to split the layout view". First off it would save me a lot of scrolling back and forth trying to see other spreads. This could also be a way to make organizing the pages easier. It's hard to rearrange pages of texts from small thumbnail images in a larger document. If this could incorporate an easier workflow for organizing and numbering pages that would be great, to be able to hide a section of pages. I do use multiple documents…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Convert all Live Captions to Static Captions

I would like the ability to convert all Live Captions to Static Captions. Currently, you can only do one at a time by selecting the caption, and selecting the menu item to convert (or create a hotkey).

When working with a long document with a lot of images, you can't use character styles with Live Captions. But once you convert to static captions, paragraph styles can then call character styles (nested, GREP). If you have a long book or catalog with a lot of images that rely on up-to-date captions, but then require character styles (for example, an image from…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base