1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Restart footnotes after a style

In addition to being able to restart footnotes every new section, page, or spread, add the ability to restart footnote numbering after a paragraph style of your choosing. Let's say I wanted to have footnotes restart each chapter and each chapter began with a numeral with the paragraph style named "chapter number," then I wouldn't necessarily have to watch or redo my sections, they would just automatically restart (at 1) after each "chapter number" style.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make 'Character Style' have bullet options

It would be useful to be able to define bullets as part of a character style, rather than a separate paragraph style.

Often, bullet paragraphs only differ from the body text by the addition of a bullet and the associated indent.

Being able to define bullets as a character attribute, rather than a paragraph style, would allow more flexibility with the new options concerning consecutive paragraphs of the same style (borders, spacing).

If I have a paragraph of text and then a couple of paragraphs of bullets, but the bullets were defined by a character style I could have a…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Lock text passages e.g. legal texts

We have a lot of texts for legal reasons in our sales brochure. Like somewhere in between. Now we have a workaround to put these texts at the end of a page at the same spot in every brochure but while editing it often happens that e.g. by accident parts of the texts get erased.
    It would be so helpful to lock important parts of the text but keep them in the whole text "fluently" at the same time. It doesnt matter where the text is but it has to be there.
    I hope I described my request clearly enough... …

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Right to Left direction

In the previous version, I could simply change the paragraph from LTR to RTL but now I have to uninstall all Adobe applications and delete the preferences so I can change the language in Creative Cloud to English Hebrew or English Arabic. Can this turn back to what it was? It was way easier and more user-friendly. All this work for one paragraph when I could previously do it with a click seems just too much.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Italian hyphenation

In the Italian language activate the automatic hyphenation of the words composed with apostrophe: for example -- dell'acqua -- del-l'acqua

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Highlighting different anchor point of anchored objects to differentiate them from each other

My team uses a lot of anchored objects within tables etc and sometimes it becomes difficult to know which object belongs to which anchor point. Would be great for there to be a way to highlight when you select an object, which anchor point it belongs to. Maybe by changing the colour?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. More options for formatting numbered lists

could we have two character styles applied to auto-numbering. One for the generated number and one for extra glyphs inserted in the "number" field in Bullets and Numbering. Or some other way to control the appearance/baseline shift etc. separate from the number itself.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. OpenType User Interface

In this blog article there a great description how indesign can massively improving the handling with fonts and their opentype features...

https://klim.co.nz/blog/towards-an-ideal-opentype-user-interface/

https://ilovetypography.com/2014/10/25/why-a-better-opentype-user-interface-matters/

Also take a look at the Petition:
    https://ilovetypography.com/2014/10/22/better-ui-for-better-typography-adobe-petition/

Is there anything in the works?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Hyperlinks from word

It would be good/wonderful, if the hyperlinks from a word document would import like the endnotes and footnotes. Right now it takes a lot of my time to enter them manually in long documents. When you have approximately 10-15 hyperlinks per page in a 60 pages documents it takes too much times...

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Please implement support for fast entry of Mac OS accented chars asap

Mac OSX now supports accents very cleanly and simply c/o press and hold briefly (a, e whatever) then your accent choices display as in the attached screengrab. This feature is supported in all Mac apps, email clients, etc etc ... even dare I type, MS Word v15.40 (171108). But not InDesign (yet ... as of 13.0.1). Very disappointing for a s/w vendor that is otherwise at leading edge of all things creative design / innovative UIs ...
    - rob d

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Dictionaries

Please, simplify already the installation of dictionaries based on Hunspell! It's not that complicated ...! but it is so useful!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please support colored fonts

Please support colored fonts as mentioned here: https://www.colorfonts.wtf/
    Especially when making tables with symbols it would speed up work a lot.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Retain font styles when copying/pasting text from Photoshop to InDesign.

I prefer to mockup print projects in Photoshop (including text) because I have faster/better control when I want to edit images and previsualize the end result. Once I have my final layout I switch to InDesign and replace the text so it's not bitmapped before printing. It would be great if I could just copy and paste the text from Photoshop to InDesign and it would retain the font style (size, weight, color, tracking, leading, etc) rather than having to make all of those adjustments by hand. Currently copying/pasting font styles works between Photoshop and Illustrator, but not PS and…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Spellcheck only "real" copy.

Add an option in "Check Spelling" to tell it to "ignore automatically generated placeholder text". So that Spellcheck would flag only real copy. I often use both in my documents and it's hard to check a 40-pg document when it keeps stopping at several paragraphs of placeholder text.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. GREP: Group or chain GREP expressions so they can all be triggered with one click

There are many times that I receive text with double spaces between sentences and double paragraph returns and ### between sections and 4 or 5 tabs in a row. These can all be fixed with GREP expressions, but it would save time to be able to create a group of expressions that can launch with one click. Similar to Next Style in a paragraph style description. I am sure there are even more complex compound instances that would benefit from this.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. More availaBLE FILE FORMATS in data merge

Instead of just accepting .csv-files, there shuld also be .txt, .xlsx and other spreasheet (and database) formats

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Character palette dropdown menu needs to expand full within workspace (revised post)

Apologies, but I posted this before but forgot to include screen grabs. In InDesign CC 2018 when I selected a typeface from the character window drop-down menu, the drop-down expanded to fill my workspace vertically no matter where my character palette was on the screen. Now in CC 2019 it only expands to show 19 or 20 fonts in a much smaller drop-down window. I would love either to go back to the way it was before or have the option to enlarge the drop-down typeface selection window.

See the difference between CC 2018 and 2019 in the screen shots.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Imported text linked to a document (like Word) where changes can be made and then automatically updated in indesign document

When importing text, we brake the link with the original textual content. I wish we could have the option to keep the imported text linked to its original document so that we can design while some of the content is being modified in a word processor and then updated like any other kind of link and without losing the applied styles.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow to add notes to footnotes!

As simple as the heading is to "allow to add notes to footnotes!"
    Google Docs, has this option, and and causes problems when importing them with the notes into InDesign, same applies when using DocaFlow

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Show number of occurrences in Find/Change

It would be great if in the Find/Change panel, when you look for something, InDesign tells you the number of occurrences that search appears in the document (in a similar way Microsoft Word does in the Find Panel)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 5 7 9 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base