Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign Corrupt files

InDesign users all have to deal with corrupt files sometime during their career using this program. Usually meaning lost time and, more importantly, money. It would be nice if there was a way to have InDesign or another program scan and fix corrupt files (Adobe FirstAid). Dumping this corrupt file into this program would scan the file, find the cause of the error, and isolate it--almost like a virus scanner. Even if this means a page is lost or margins are messed up. It would be nice to at least get some work saved. For example, I throw in a…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

16 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign crashes while accessing printer setup or printing on Windows

I've had no issues in writing documents, but printing an existing one crashed InDesign2018. A crash report was automatically generated and sent to you &/ or Apple.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

InDesign might crash while accessing printer setup or printing with specific printers. The crash is intermittent and specific to Windows only.

We need some more details to look into this issue. Please share the following information for further investigation:

Printer driver and printer setup details.
    How is the printer configured? (Local/Network/Wireless)
    Is the printer configured as your default printer?
    Please share the details with us at sharewithID@adobe.com.

3. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are multiple factors, both internal and external to InDesign application, that can lead to document corruption. However, we can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com. We will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox/Wetransfer/GoogleDrive) and send us the document link.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

4. Indesign Crashes Every time I Attempt to Change the Font With Arrow Keys

This just started happening this week. Every time I highlight my text, click on the font box, and attempt to cycle through fonts with my up and down arrow keys, Indesign freezes until I have to force it to quit.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

5. indesign 2019 crashing upon being opened

as soon as i open indesign 2019, it freezes before i can do anything. i have to force quit, but it it doesn't fix it. it still happens every time. i've resorted back to using indesign 2018.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

6. InDesign is unusable after the latest update (13.1) with spell checking and hyphenation is set to Hungarian / Winsoft.

InDesign is unusable after the latest update (13.1) if spell checking and hyphenation is set to Hungarian / Winsoft. All words are underlined as incorrectly spelled, hyphenation dosen't work, InDesign hangs. If I open a documents saved before the update InDesign displays the document, than hangs.

OS Sierra 10.26.6

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

Adobe InDesign team

7. Delete page crashes InDesign and closes

I am using 2017.1 Release 12.1.0.56
    When I click to delete a page from my document, ID crashes. It is only happening on one particular file. I tried creating a duplicate copy, adding additional pages and deleting multiple pages and still is crashes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. InDesign CC 2018 Crashing Several Times Daily

After updating to InDesign 2018 the application suffered from crashing. I applied the CopyPlugin_MAC.app patch, but it did not fix the issue.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

Adobe InDesign team

9. Crash when exporting

Every time I try to export my document to a PDF InDesign 12.1 crashes. I've quit and restarted the software, and restarted my computer. I have no pending updates. I'm not sure why the program crashes every time I try to export. I've tried to go around the issue by packaging the file, exporting directly to PDF, or getting a PDF from a "print" operation, but nothing seems to work. It crashes every time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

10. InDesign 14.0.1 is crashing hourly

For three days my InDesign 14.0.1 has been crashing almost exactly hourly. It just freezes and I get the spinning beachball. Only recourse is to re-start my Mac. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Prior to this, I had downloaded Lightroom... I thought this might have been the initial cause. I uninstalled Lightroom and all my Adobe products. Any ideas?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us.

Adobe InDesign team

11. adobe freezing and getting beach ball spin constantly

Everytime I upload, save, place etc I get beach ball after beach ball...

It's not my computer...I have the 10k Imac Pro...

It mainly started when I installed OS Mojave. Adress this asap please as it is affecting work flow.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

12. Crashing Indesign - Google Team Drive

We are working with Google Team Drive and all Adobe programs.
    But lately we experience some trouble.

The screenshots say that Indesign closed itself because of error.

Hopefully someone can help us with this problem.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

13. pasting crash

InDesign CC 13.1 — EVERY time I copy text from another program (PDF, email, Word, ANYTHING other text within InDesign), InDesign crashes immediately upon pasting into a text box within InDesign. No spinning beach ball. Just shuts down and closes. This is untenable and needs to be fixed. Productivity and my job depend on it. Can anyone please help solve this issue? Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

14. Can not paste text in inDesign

I am running InDesign CC 13.1 on osMac High Sierra, and am unable to COPY text from any web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) and PASTE it into inDesign. It crashes every time. I AM able to paste the text into a Pages document and THEN copy/paste into inDesign — but all character information is gone (formatting, alignment, spacing, etc.)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

15. InDesign crashing when exporting book to pdf

Hi there. I just got updated InDesign through CC and am in the process of updating old files/documents created in CS5.5. Several of them are InDesign books including 6-10 separate documents (there are a couple books which share similar documents). I'm able to export the individual documents as a pdf just fine, but when I try to export the book it crashes. I've tried recreating the book with the same documents, but no luck. Other ideas?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Cannot open file due to deleting hyperlinks in Indesign CC 2018

I was deleting the list of hyperlinks in my file and it crashed. So I kept saving the file after every hyperlink I had deleted so that I can find out which one was the root problem, but now I cannot even open the file as it just crashes immediately it opens. At this moment in time I have to do the whole job again.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

17. Indesign crashing on startup 2017 / 2018 (cloud) - Please Help!!

InDesign crashes the computer on startup. Not just the program, but restarts the PC. Sometimes it crashes with blue screen sometimes with plain and simple restart without any messages. Program does not even open.

I'm running Intel I7 8720X, Nvidia 1080 TI, 11 GB, 32 GB ram DDR4, 512 SSD + 3 TB Storage, Windows 10 Home - all updates.

I'm not sure what is going on. I tried to reinstall it, several times, after I uninstall removing preferences / settings, formatted the drives to kill any existing settings, still same issues. Photoshop, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat work fine, not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

18. Editing font in table and it crashes

Selecting multiple cells and changing font, Indesign keeps crashing

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

19. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

20. Trying to copy any item or group of items crashes InDesign

Attempting to copy any item or group of items to the pasteboard in InDesign crashes the application.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base