Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

24 results found

1. InDesign crashes/freezes on Quit

When quitting from MacOS Dock (right-mouse click on the icon), Indesign crashes like most of the time.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. InDesign crashes when changing paragraph style with Typefi Designer 8.7.3 (14)

Every time I change the paragraph style on my document, indesign crashes.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2023(v18.2.1.455) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

As per the information provided by other customers, the issue might be related to Typefi Designer 8.7.3 (14).

Adobe InDesign Team

3. InDesign 2021 crashes when opening some panels

For example, I select some text and click to open the Hyperlinks panel. ID crashes straight away.

Or I select an anchored object, right click to select Anchored Object > Options. The panel comes up with 'Inline' selected and then I click on 'Above Line'. It crashes straight away.

I've had a similar problem working in tables, when I right click to delete a row, it crashes immediately.

I've had to go back to 2020 to be able to work on some of my documents.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. 14.0.3 Crashes and wipes all preferences (17th October 2019)

On closing a document on a mac (using the red dot) inDesign suddenly crashes. When I re-open it, all my preferences have been reset to default - including the animated tool tips returning.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:

• Quit InDesign and create a backup of Preference and cache. Relaunch InDesign to observe if the preferences have been reset.
    • Next time when you encounter a crash, create a backup of Preference and cache prior to InDesign launch. If the issue is encountered, send the back up of preference and cache to the above mail ID

Adobe InDesign Team

5. indesign crashes when inserting copied text from an external document

indesign cc 2021 16.1

I open an existing indesign document
    I copy text from a google doc / external file
    I insert text into existing connected text frame with the text spreading over both frames

-> indesign crashes

(restarting indesign did not help. restarting the mac did not help. wirting text by hand without copying works. copying text within the document works.)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

• Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. crash sleep mode

Hello,

I'm using InDesign 15.1.2 on a brand new Macbook Pro.

Several times a day InDesign crashes. It seems to happen most often when:
    - my computer goes into sleep mode and I reawaken it

but it sometimes happens when:
    - I copy text from a word document or email, and then try and paste it into a text frame within InDesign.

Sometimes it happens for no reason, when I am using another program.

I have spent a lot of time on the Adobe community page trying various solutions but nothing seems to have worked. I have 'problem reports' from…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.
    If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign froze?
    • Video recording of the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

7. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign the issue occurred?

Adobe InDesign Team

8. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. InDesign crashes and content disappears

InDesign sometimes crashes when saving, packaging, or exporting a file. It then corrupts file, removing content (entire text boxes are now empty). This is destroying files and setting me back hours in my workflow.

1. Adobe InDesign 16.0
    2. Save/export/package
    3. Should have stable, usable files
    4. InDesign crashes and corrupts my source file
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Hyperlink causing InDesign to crash

I have an issue in a file that I'm working with where if I scroll to a certain point in the hyperlink panel, my entire InDesign program crashes. I've tried deleting all of the hyperlinks one-by-one, and I noticed that it always crashes when I reach the same point (about 2/3rds down the list).

I think there's a hyperlink that's become an issue within the file, and whenever InDesign tries to show that specific one within the hyperlink panel, it crashes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Adobe InDesign Team

11. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Every time I use "insert endnotes" Indesign CC 2022 crashes

Whenever I insert endnotes InDesign CC 2022 crashes

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Video recording of the crash

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Changing default language causes InDesign to crash and language remains unchanged

InDesign v 16.4 & InDesign v 17.0 on macOS Catalina

InDesign keeps crashing when you’re trying to change the default language. Received a large file with French as default and we need to localize it for US market.

Paragraph Styles > [Basic Paragraph] > Advanced Character Formats > Language: French (Change to English: USA) > OK

CRASH

Edit > Find/Change > Find Format > Advanced Character Formats > Language: French > Change Format > Advanced Character Formats > Language: English: USA > Change All

CRASH

The language is suppose to change so that the symbols will be correct. For example…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Video recording of the crash

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Hyperlink window causing crash/lockup

Hello,

I'm working on a file from February 2020 that contains hyperlinks. Every time I click to use the Hyperlink window to edit/update urls my InDesign locks up. However, when I try this in a new file I created in December, I'm not having any issues with the hyperlinks window/tool.

I'm using the latest version of InDesign CC (16.1).
    I open the file, click the Hyperlinks window and the program locks up to where I have to force quit.

(Not sure if it matters - I'm adding this comment from my Mac, but I'm trying to do this work on…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Version 16.1.0.20 installiert - jedes geöffnete Dokument wird beim Speichern als defekt angezeigt

Gestern Abend die Version 16.1.0.20 installiert - heute wird jedes geöffnete Dokument beim Speichern als defekt angezeigt und soll repariert werden. Bitte um Hilfe!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign the issue occurred?

Adobe InDesign Team

16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Indesign 16.0 crashes when copying text with anchored object

ID crashes every time I try to copy text that includes an anchored object. As soon as I hit CMD+C, it crashes. I can copy the anchor object separately, but trying to grab it inline with text does not work. I've tried it with multiple different areas of text/objects. This has happened over the last two days, repeatedly, after multiple re-starts and prefs updates. ID 16.0 on MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.7.
    EDIT: It seems to be an issue with one specific object. I can't seem to even copy that one by itself without crashing. I'll keep playing around to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Absturz InDesign 2021

Bei Eingabe in InDesign 2021 Absturz: 'Union'-W (hängt mit dem einfachen Schlusszeichen und dem Bindestrich zusammen.

Ausrichten von Objekten: Unterkante Objekt an Oberkante nächstes Objekt. Also nicht nur mit Abstand "0"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base