Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign 2021 keeps crashing

InDesign has crashed about 5 times since updating the other day. My team is also having the same problem. Mac and PC.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

2. InDesign freezes while Adding New/Editing Cross-References

1. InDesign 13.1 x64
      2a. Select the text, go to Insert Cross References either via Type > Hyperlinks & Cross References or via the Cross References Panel.
      2b. Select text that already has a cross reference, go to Cross-Reference Options either via Type > Hyperlinks and Cross References of the Cross References panel.

2. The New Cross-Reference or Edit Cross-Reference dialog box should open and function.

3. InDesign freezes and has to be force quit. I've waited as long as 20 minutes for the system to function properly before having to force it to quit.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

One of the customers has confirmed that the issue is fixed in the latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign froze?
    • Video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. InDesign crashes when changing paragraph style

Every time I change the paragraph style on my document, indesign crashes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Adobe InDesign Team

4. 14.0.3 Crashes and wipes all preferences (17th October 2019)

On closing a document on a mac (using the red dot) inDesign suddenly crashes. When I re-open it, all my preferences have been reset to default - including the animated tool tips returning.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:

• Quit InDesign and create a backup of Preference and cache. Relaunch InDesign to observe if the preferences have been reset.
    • Next time when you encounter a crash, create a backup of Preference and cache prior to InDesign launch. If the issue is encountered, send the back up of preference and cache to the above mail ID

Adobe InDesign Team

5. InDesign 2021 crashes when opening some panels

For example, I select some text and click to open the Hyperlinks panel. ID crashes straight away.

Or I select an anchored object, right click to select Anchored Object > Options. The panel comes up with 'Inline' selected and then I click on 'Above Line'. It crashes straight away.

I've had a similar problem working in tables, when I right click to delete a row, it crashes immediately.

I've had to go back to 2020 to be able to work on some of my documents.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Freeze

InDesign freezes. I'm just working, and it freeze. Or sometimes it happens when I open another window, and then I can't back to Adobe Indesign, I have to force the program to close.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Adobe InDesign Team

7. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Indesign 16.0 crashes when copying text with anchored object

ID crashes every time I try to copy text that includes an anchored object. As soon as I hit CMD+C, it crashes. I can copy the anchor object separately, but trying to grab it inline with text does not work. I've tried it with multiple different areas of text/objects. This has happened over the last two days, repeatedly, after multiple re-starts and prefs updates. ID 16.0 on MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.7.
    EDIT: It seems to be an issue with one specific object. I can't seem to even copy that one by itself without crashing. I'll keep playing around to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. InDesign crashes on launch on 10.15.6

BUG REPORT: InDesign 2021 crashes on startup on mac OS 10.15.6. Adobe crash report suggested deleting preferences file. This file no longer exists under this OS. Need workaround, app is unuseable

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Absturz InDesign 2021

Bei Eingabe in InDesign 2021 Absturz: 'Union'-W (hängt mit dem einfachen Schlusszeichen und dem Bindestrich zusammen.

Ausrichten von Objekten: Unterkante Objekt an Oberkante nächstes Objekt. Also nicht nur mit Abstand "0"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. InDesign crashes and content disappears

InDesign sometimes crashes when saving, packaging, or exporting a file. It then corrupts file, removing content (entire text boxes are now empty). This is destroying files and setting me back hours in my workflow.

1. Adobe InDesign 16.0

2. Save/export/package

3. Should have stable, usable files

4. InDesign crashes and corrupts my source file

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Indesign crashes when changing Endnotes to footnotes

I just updated to the 2021 that is really amazing. Only bug i have i can t any more convert endnotes to footnotes InDesign crashes each time on both of my computers . I am on Window 10 No idea why before i could do it. Thanks a lot

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. crash sleep mode

Hello,

I'm using InDesign 15.1.2 on a brand new Macbook Pro.

Several times a day InDesign crashes. It seems to happen most often when:
    - my computer goes into sleep mode and I reawaken it

but it sometimes happens when:
    - I copy text from a word document or email, and then try and paste it into a text frame within InDesign.

Sometimes it happens for no reason, when I am using another program.

I have spent a lot of time on the Adobe community page trying various solutions but nothing seems to have worked. I have 'problem reports' from…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. indesign crash when I try to make a new document

Every time I try to make a new document Indesign crash.
    I work well will any old document, but the minute I it command + N or do it but going in file - new document it crash automaticly. Can anyone help me ???

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    Video recording of the crash?
    Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference.

ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference.

Not a new problem by the looks of it.
    It doesn't matter whether I type a reference, copy and paste it or highlight text and use shortcut keys. ID always crashes if a symbol is the first thing in the index reference.

however, if 'Sort by' is used and that doesn't start with a symbol it is okay. But this is only 'useful' when that is relevant, which is not always.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Crash when placing DOCX with character styles

Steps:
    1. Attempt to place place Word.docx in an InDesign 2020 document.
    2. InDesign spends a long time parsing character styles.
    3. Resaved Word file as .doc file and was able to import it. I don't know what information (if any) in the Word file was lost. This is not an ideal solution.

Link above "How to Submit Crash Report" is dead. I have previously submitted several crash reports through the InDD/system interface.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base