Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

30 results found

1. Slow performance

Lately InDesign is nearly unusable. Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time. Even when clicking between panels in the toolbar there is a delay of about half a second.

I have tried ruling out potential issues like updating graphic drivers and embedding all resources into the document. Nothing works it seems like the application is just unstable. Please advise, I love to work with indesign but this is overall a very bad user experience.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Customer comments

• InDesign lags when rearranging text boxes, adding image frames, adjusting frames that already exist
    • Selecting an item (e.g. text frame) in small and really uncomplicated documents has slight but very noticeable delays/lags, almost as if the click hangs and makes the item drag a little instead of just being selected.
    • Performance degradation is observed if more than 1 document is opened
    • Creating packages (File > Package) takes so much time – especially collecting image files into the Links-folder. This behavior is generally observed with Illustrator files.
    • Performance degradation is observed while working on indd document and not with the IDML of the indd document.
    • Lag observed for almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects

Troubleshooting steps tried to resolve issues

• Disable 3rd party plugins - One of the customer has tried with Suitcase Fusion but there was no improvement in the performance.

Workarounds

• Change the…
  2. InDesign 15.1.1 - Fonts not activating - stuck on spinning circle background tasks

I have a problem on InDesign 15.1.1 - My Creative Cloud fonts are not activating... How can I sort this out? It's stuck on the spinning blue circle of doom - the background task has been saying queued for hours now.

I need my fonts not sure what to do?? Help.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Performance: Import documents / style apply

my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) is super slow when importing word documents, search and replace styles or adapting styles. Does it improve when changing to the Mojave system? Or is there a conflict with FontExplorer X Pro. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm suffering…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

In order to investigate the issue at our end we would require some more information from your side. Can you please answer the following questions to help us out:

1) Please let us know the version of InDesign on which you are facing this issue.
    2) It would really help us a lot, if you can share the documents( and other resources) with which you are facing the issue.
    3) Can you please share a small video demonstrating all the issues that you are experiencing.

Please mail this information to pgaurav@adobe.com

Thanks

4. M1 Mac Graphic Problems Continue

As others have mentioned InDesign graphic performance on M1 Macs is unacceptable. This was marked as "fixed" but it continues with macOS Ventura 13.0.1 and InDesign 18. For example, the screen does not always redraw when scrolling or jumping to a different page until you move your pointer. Switching to a different program and then back to InDesign also fixes the problem for a while. It doesn't matter whether GPU Performance is on or off. This is the most fundamental functionality. Please figure it out and fix it once and for all.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. inDesign 2020 removed the zoom view box from the top menu bar

This user is much unhappy that inDesign 2020 no longer provides the zoom view box that appeared in the top menu bar, directly to the right of the help tab. That was a fast, easy way to change the view size of the file in the screen.

I was told by Adobe that this feature was dropped because the screen size view could be achieved by other existing features. Sure... now one must pull down a tab, then go to another command and activate a feature like zoom in and zoom out. And that only shifts the view in or…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The change was made to reduce the UI clutter for the user and it was moved to the bottom left of the screen in the Status bar where other controls like page navigation, preflight profiles, etc. are available.

To continue using this feature, we can suggest a simple workaround which takes less than a minute to accomplish – just open the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog, choose Views, Navigation from the Product Area drop-down, select the ‘Access zoom percentage box’ from the list of commands and assign a shortcut – example, Ctrl-Alt-5. You can customize the keyboard shortcuts as you like and save a new Keyboard Shortcut Set.

Meanwhile, we are reviewing this request.

Adobe InDesign team

6. Text cursor disappears - Mojave and InDesign CC 13.1

After upgrading to Mac OSX Mojave (10.14), using InDesign CC 13.1 ME, the text cursor disappears. All other cursors appear as expected. This happens both with the standard Text tool, and the ME Text tool.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

8. Alt key modifier keeps toolbar active after use when zooming in using scroll wheel

Not sure when this started happening, I only know that it's started irritating the heck out of me quite recently. I'm on Win 10 using InDesign 14.0.2

Whenever I alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out, InDesign switches focus to the toolbar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu.

It becomes an issue when for example zooming into an active text box, if you need to type F, E, L, T, O, A, V, W, or H, after using alt+scroll you end up bringing up the View menu as soon as you hit the V key.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    As per our understanding the issue is as follows:
    Launch InDesign.
    1. Press alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out.
    2. InDesign switches focus to the menu-bar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu shortcut.
    3. Type F, E, L, or T after using alt+scroll

Result:
    Menu entry is opened from the control strip (example View menu as soon as you hit the V key).

Expected:
    Key press should select the suitable tool denoted by that key

This has been the behavior since quite long and does not look like a break in behavior.
    Please can you confirm?

Thanks

9. Scrolling too slow

Adobe needs to improve scrolling speed. When using the slider, InDesign can't keep up with it.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign Is Still Unusably Slow

Despite this forum being filled with "solved" reports of InDesign being unusably slow, it remains so.
    I am editing a 4 page document that is almost all text, and yet I get the spinning ball after each and every keystroke. It can take 5-10 seconds just to complete typing a word, and heaven help me if I make a mistake and need to backspace.

I just updated InDesign this morning so I am on 14.0.2. I'm running Windows 10 1903. The machine is an MSI laptop with an i7 processor and 12GB of RAM.

I have attempted to edit the…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Can't scroll through pages in presentation mode

2017.1 Release, 12.1.0.56 Build
    macOS Sierra version 10.12.6

When I go to the presentation mode, I am not able to scroll through the pages. Whether i use the trackpad, arrow keys, or change the keyboard shortcuts.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    There has to be a scenario in which the scrolling of the document is not working in presentation mode because, otherwise it is not reproducible at our end.
    I can observe that, pages do not scroll while making a vertical gesture on the mouse, but through other methods such as, click, arrow key pages can be scrolled easily.

Are you able to scroll using clicks and arrow keys?
    Is it the case that, the issue is intermittent or only happens in a specific scenario?
    Also, let us know your machine details such its configuration, OS version and Id version

This can help us to get to the bottom of the issue

Thanks,
    Abhinav

12. Major Preview Glitch

I'm having a major glitch with preview screen mode in InDesign. When you toggle it on multiple elements on the page disappear, and this is happening on most documents and has only started within the last few days since the the last update. This is a major glitch when working on clients work when tings just start disappearing and not knowing if that is how it will print etc. I have uploaded a before and after image to show what disappears.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Indesign causes screen to enter a strobe flicker effect and no choice but to shut down

Sometimes when I drag a text box to a different position the screen starts to flicker then goes crazy - like a strobe effect. It's applied to all software that's open and there is no choice but to have a frenzied time trying to shut down applications and saving work before the screen either goes completely blank or white. There is no choice but to restrt the imac.

It happened around 5 times in the space of an hour and then won't happen for weeks.

iMac - Intel Core i7 - 4 GHz - Memory 32 GB - AMD Radeon…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Locked text and image boxes

Text and image boxes are locked to the page and can't be moved with the mouse, only with the arrow tools

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  ansjain responded

Hi all,

Can you please provide some more information to help in reproducing the issue at our end:
    - InDesign version
    - OS
    - Language
    - If document specific, please share a document with me
    - Starts happening after doing some particular steps, please let me know what all things you were performing before this issue happens

Appreciate your help in reproducing this issue.

Thanks
    -Anshul

15. indesign cursor lag

My cursor is lagging while passing over portions of the Layers Panel specifically.
    I'm working on a Macbook Pro, with a BenQ GW2765 external monitor.
    The issue only happens while InDesign is on the external monitor, and it works fine while on the macbook pro.
    I've attached a video sample of the issue in action.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have identified that this occurs when you connect your Macbook Pro with an external monitor using the older, obsolete Apple adapter.

On using the newer, updated model of the Apple adapter, this issue does not occur. Many of our users have confirmed this.

Please share what hardware you’re using to connect the external monitor to your MBP.

Adobe InDesign team

16. Separations Preview

Like previous versions of InDesign CC the color separations preview still does not work correctly.

When user tries to view separations by turning a color separation off, or toggling back and forth between colors, the visible page in the document goes completely haywire - scattering elements and superimposing images from other nearby pages. See attached screenshots of the issue.

This has been an issue for awhile and I am dismayed it still has not been addressed as it is a very useful function in the printing industry. Since the launch of CC I have had to check my separations in…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign 17.1 not working properly

InDesign (17.1) is acting very strange for the last two months. When I click on File, Edit, View or any other topic, the tab does not open. I cannot access any action under those tabs. Also, when I eventually get to work with my document, it is extremely slow to save. It turns, and turns forever. I've been working with InDesign for over 20 years and it's the first time I have so much trouble with the software. How can that be fixed?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you try the following and see if it solves your issue:

1. Quit InDesign.
    2. Delete the following:

/Users/your_user_name/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign 

/Users/your_user_name/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign 

/Users/your_user_name/Library/Caches/CSXS/cep_cache

--

Adobe InDesign team

18. InDesign 2019 scrubby zoom no longer works (command + space + click)

Prior to InDesign 2019, you can press command + spacebar + click to be able to activate the scrubby zoom feature.

Now when you press command + spacebar + click you just draw a box that once you unclick, it zooms to that space... Very undesirable..

Did a preference change on the update somewhere that I don't know about? Because I can not find this feature in the Preferences now.

Please advise.

Thanks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The feature you are talking about is called ‘Animated Zoom’ (it’s Mac only feature).
    It is turned ON by default on Mac machines having a GPU card with a compatible monitor attached.
    Check the Document Name in its tab – does it say ‘GPU Preview’? If not, press Shift+E to switch to this mode.
    Also, check under Preferences > GPU Performance and see if ‘Animated Zoom’ is checked ON. It should be enabled for this feature to work.

Adobe InDesign team

19. Text-fields behave strange after InDesign 2020 update

Since the release of InDesign 2020 there frequently appears a circumstantial bug, that is not reasonable in any way:

When i double click (edit) or just copy any text-box, suddenly the content is moving downwards (about 3pt), so that it disappears in overflow text and has to be realigned. It even happens when I copy and paste those Elements or duplicate the whole page, so one of the most fundamental functions became futile (image "Adobe-Indesign-Bug-duplicate.jpg")!

Additional the maximum height of the box, before the text disappears in overset, isn't depending on the contents height like in older versions, but is…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Cannot save under a new name error code 1, network share, InDesign 2019

When I am trying to save InDesign document to a network share using Save As or using Save a Copy, InDesign comes up with an error message saying 'Cannot save, file is damaged, error code 1'.
    InDesign 2019 is up to date.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Are you able to saveAs/ SaveACopy the file locally?
    What is the exact version of InDesign 2019 are you using? 14.0.1/14.0.2/14.0.3?
    Is it happening with all InDesign files?
    Which OS version are you using?

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base