Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Display not properly refreshed

In the latest versions the screen often isn't refreshed properly. Only after rescaling or changing to Preview mode the old data is hidden.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Text cursor disappears - Mojave and InDesign CC 13.1

After upgrading to Mac OSX Mojave (10.14), using InDesign CC 13.1 ME, the text cursor disappears. All other cursors appear as expected. This happens both with the standard Text tool, and the ME Text tool.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Can't scroll through pages in presentation mode

2017.1 Release, 12.1.0.56 Build
    macOS Sierra version 10.12.6

When I go to the presentation mode, I am not able to scroll through the pages. Whether i use the trackpad, arrow keys, or change the keyboard shortcuts.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    There has to be a scenario in which the scrolling of the document is not working in presentation mode because, otherwise it is not reproducible at our end.
    I can observe that, pages do not scroll while making a vertical gesture on the mouse, but through other methods such as, click, arrow key pages can be scrolled easily.

Are you able to scroll using clicks and arrow keys?
    Is it the case that, the issue is intermittent or only happens in a specific scenario?
    Also, let us know your machine details such its configuration, OS version and Id version

This can help us to get to the bottom of the issue

Thanks,
    Abhinav

4. Scrolling too slow

Adobe needs to improve scrolling speed. When using the slider, InDesign can't keep up with it.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Indesign causes screen to enter a strobe flicker effect and no choice but to shut down

Sometimes when I drag a text box to a different position the screen starts to flicker then goes crazy - like a strobe effect. It's applied to all software that's open and there is no choice but to have a frenzied time trying to shut down applications and saving work before the screen either goes completely blank or white. There is no choice but to restrt the imac.

It happened around 5 times in the space of an hour and then won't happen for weeks.

iMac - Intel Core i7 - 4 GHz - Memory 32 GB - AMD Radeon…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Locked text and image boxes

Text and image boxes are locked to the page and can't be moved with the mouse, only with the arrow tools

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  ansjain responded

Hi all,

Can you please provide some more information to help in reproducing the issue at our end:
    - InDesign version
    - OS
    - Language
    - If document specific, please share a document with me
    - Starts happening after doing some particular steps, please let me know what all things you were performing before this issue happens

Appreciate your help in reproducing this issue.

Thanks
    -Anshul

7. InDesign Is Still Unusably Slow

Despite this forum being filled with "solved" reports of InDesign being unusably slow, it remains so.
    I am editing a 4 page document that is almost all text, and yet I get the spinning ball after each and every keystroke. It can take 5-10 seconds just to complete typing a word, and heaven help me if I make a mistake and need to backspace.

I just updated InDesign this morning so I am on 14.0.2. I'm running Windows 10 1903. The machine is an MSI laptop with an i7 processor and 12GB of RAM.

I have attempted to edit the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

9. Cannot save file " " under a new name. The file "DBTmp982766505057" is damaged (Error code: 0).

I just upgraded to Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave in order to accommodate the latest Adobe CC 2019, which I also just installed. I have yet to be able to save an InDesign file. I keep getting the above message.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. indesign cursor lag

My cursor is lagging while passing over portions of the Layers Panel specifically.
    I'm working on a Macbook Pro, with a BenQ GW2765 external monitor.
    The issue only happens while InDesign is on the external monitor, and it works fine while on the macbook pro.
    I've attached a video sample of the issue in action.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have identified that this occurs when you connect your Macbook Pro with an external monitor using the older, obsolete Apple adapter.

On using the newer, updated model of the Apple adapter, this issue does not occur. Many of our users have confirmed this.

Please share what hardware you’re using to connect the external monitor to your MBP.

Adobe InDesign team

11. Alt key modifier keeps toolbar active after use when zooming in using scroll wheel

Not sure when this started happening, I only know that it's started irritating the heck out of me quite recently. I'm on Win 10 using InDesign 14.0.2

Whenever I alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out, InDesign switches focus to the toolbar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu.

It becomes an issue when for example zooming into an active text box, if you need to type F, E, L, T, O, A, V, W, or H, after using alt+scroll you end up bringing up the View menu as soon as you hit the V key.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    As per our understanding the issue is as follows:
    Launch InDesign.
    1. Press alt+scroll using the mouse wheel to zoom in/out.
    2. InDesign switches focus to the menu-bar so that the next keyboard press will enact the menu shortcut.
    3. Type F, E, L, or T after using alt+scroll

Result:
    Menu entry is opened from the control strip (example View menu as soon as you hit the V key).

Expected:
    Key press should select the suitable tool denoted by that key

This has been the behavior since quite long and does not look like a break in behavior.
    Please can you confirm?

Thanks

12. InDesign 2019 scrubby zoom no longer works (command + space + click)

Prior to InDesign 2019, you can press command + spacebar + click to be able to activate the scrubby zoom feature.

Now when you press command + spacebar + click you just draw a box that once you unclick, it zooms to that space... Very undesirable..

Did a preference change on the update somewhere that I don't know about? Because I can not find this feature in the Preferences now.

Please advise.

Thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The feature you are talking about is called ‘Animated Zoom’ (it’s Mac only feature).
    It is turned ON by default on Mac machines having a GPU card with a compatible monitor attached.
    Check the Document Name in its tab – does it say ‘GPU Preview’? If not, press Shift+E to switch to this mode.
    Also, check under Preferences > GPU Performance and see if ‘Animated Zoom’ is checked ON. It should be enabled for this feature to work.

Adobe InDesign team

13. pipette does not work in cells of tables

pipette does not work in cells of tables

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. inDesign 2020 removed the zoom view box from the top menu bar

This user is much unhappy that inDesign 2020 no longer provides the zoom view box that appeared in the top menu bar, directly to the right of the help tab. That was a fast, easy way to change the view size of the file in the screen.

I was told by Adobe that this feature was dropped because the screen size view could be achieved by other existing features. Sure... now one must pull down a tab, then go to another command and activate a feature like zoom in and zoom out. And that only shifts the view in or…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The change was made to reduce the UI clutter for the user and it was moved to the bottom left of the screen in the Status bar where other controls like page navigation, preflight profiles, etc. are available.

To continue using this feature, we can suggest a simple workaround which takes less than a minute to accomplish – just open the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog, choose Views, Navigation from the Product Area drop-down, select the ‘Access zoom percentage box’ from the list of commands and assign a shortcut – example, Ctrl-Alt-5. You can customize the keyboard shortcuts as you like and save a new Keyboard Shortcut Set.

Meanwhile, we are reviewing this request.

Adobe InDesign team

15. No Break slows down InDesign CC 2019

When No Break is added to multiple words, it slows down InDesign CC 2019 14.01 tremendously.
    We use No Break very often in our texts, e.g. to keep web site addresses, email addresses and allergens together as this is a requirement from our customer.
    This was never a problem in older versions but something seems to be changed in InDesign.
    I added an .idml file containing an auto-size text frame with some text (allergens). Editing the text frame in an older version of InDesign works smoothly. Doing the same thing in CC 2019 goes very slow.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. InCopy character panel blank

My coworker is on a PC running InCopy 2019 and has had an issue with InCopy since CC2017. The panels (not sure which ones are there other than the character panel) move from the side to the top and go blank and are utterly unusable. Turning them off and on again doesn't do anything. Any ideas on making it usable again?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. InDesign 14.0 x 64 Margin won't change since software update

When I try to increase or decrease margins, nothing happens. It used to work great until my last software update.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Preferences Reset after working with a large XML based file

I work with large XML files to create catalogs several times a month. This results in InDesign giving me a lot of "Continue without Undo" prompts anytime I do any action (even scrolling and zooming), so I save the file and quit InDesign. Upon reopening InDesign, it says that it cannot read my preference file and resets everything.

This is extremely frustrating, as while my workspace is saved, all of the character/paragraph/object styles, swatches, and program settings are completely wiped, as are all the tool tips and notifications. Barring being able to not have this problem occur regularly, is there…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for providing the information. Just copy the preference and try the following workflow –
    • Delete InDesign preferences
    • Copy the InDesign corrupt preferences.
    • Launch InDesign.
    • An alert would come that the preference have been reset.

If the above workflow works with the copied preference, Zip them and mail it to santalwa@adobe.com.

Regards
    InDesign Team

19. Separations Preview

Like previous versions of InDesign CC the color separations preview still does not work correctly.

When user tries to view separations by turning a color separation off, or toggling back and forth between colors, the visible page in the document goes completely haywire - scattering elements and superimposing images from other nearby pages. See attached screenshots of the issue.

This has been an issue for awhile and I am dismayed it still has not been addressed as it is a very useful function in the printing industry. Since the launch of CC I have had to check my separations in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Numbering and section options

If you have multiple types of numbering options in one document, (say using Roman for your intro pages, and then convert to regular numbers for the main document) you can't change them even though the option is not grayed out in the Numbering and Sections Options dialogue box. If you click on it, it just reverts back to what the document started as and won't select that other numbering option.

Exact same document, and I (on 13.1) cannot change it, but my co-worker who has 13.0.1 can.

Adobe INDD CC 13.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base