Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

860 results found

1. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Only loading icon

Today (10.10.2019) I tried continuing my work in Adobe InDesign (newest CC version), and it refuses to work at all. Upon opening application there is only loading icon. Restarting system, and reinstalling application wouldnt work

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Indesign: Slow performance (solution)

InDesign documents are almost unavailable (almost every process).

Problem: Text Frame Options> Balance Colums> Check

Workaround: Uncheck

(InDesign CC 14.0.3 - Windows 7)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. CPU over 100% - inDesign not usable

Within in hour of using inDesign the CPU goes up to 1000% of CPU usage without any reasons. No matter if I'm working on a blanc space or big files, it react over time.

Quick solution is to restart the application, within 1 hour of using the CPU goes up again.

I reinstalled the application and work on a new account.

Specs:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, End 2015)
    4 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Still not fixed—GREP search fails to find all the matching instances in long documents

An Adobe Indesign CC 2019 (version 14.0.2) file has fewer than 15K characters. A return, followed by the text “ppp”, appears 27 times in the file. They can all be found using the “Text” version of find, searching for “^ppp”. However, using the “GREP” version of find, searching for “\rppp”, only the last one is found. (I am running MacOS Mojave, version 10.14.5 on a MaxBook Pro, retina, 15 inch, mid 2015).

I followed the purported fix found at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/search-issue-in-long-documents.html but with no success.

Indesign files are invalid file types for attaching to this bug post; however I have a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Optical Kerning Indesign Plugin (missing)

CC 2019. Mac OSX 10.14.6

We have encountered a file corruption whereby we are now unable to open an indesign doc. We get the error message as shown in the screen shot however nobody in our office has this plugin. The operator who created the file cannot even open the file - we are lost as to what has happened to this file as nobody in the team has any additional plugins. We are running the latest version of CC.

Has anybody else come across this issue as we cannot even search online for such a plugin - does it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Relink to folder and filenames with accents doesn't work

Relink to folder doesn't work for filenames with accents, it just doesn't find such files, but relinking every single file separately (very annoying) works.

Adobe InDesign 14.0.2. x64, Win 10 Pro

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. InDesigns gives me random stuff when clicking on an option

Recently, I'm in for a surprise when trying to use InDesign. I click on a certain option, and something random pops up, for example while typing this, I'm clicking on "Window > Pages", I'm getting redirected to Adobe website to buy InDesign (note, I already bought the license). Clicking again, redirected to another InDesign file, clicking another time, now I get my Table Style, basically I get everything except the Pages.

It's always a surprise what I get and I don't know how to get rid of this issue once and for all. This is the case for every option.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. properties panel tab order for changing document size

In the properties panel, please change the tab order for document size/number of pages.

When typing new dimensions for a document I would expect to type the new width for the layout and press tab to then type the new height for the layout, instead, tab takes you to number of pages!

Madness!!!

The number of times I have gone to resize a document and changed the width to a new measurement and then added 594 new pages instead of altering the new height to 594mm.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Programs hangs after having selected a text and then opening the font drop down list.

After having selected some text and then opening the drop down font menu, the program starts doing an infinte number of calculations and never stops (the CPU core being used is maxed and remains like that).

FFS hire someone who can fix it.. its been ages.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. after indesign is open I try to open a 2nd file; it attempts to open another instance of indesign (but I only have license for 1 station)

When I already have Indesign open, I try clicking (within windows file explorer) on an Indesign file in an attempt to open it. When I do this an attempt is made to open another instance of Indesign instead of opening the file with the instance of Indesign already open. I only have a license for 1 station of Indesign and so the new instance of Indesign crashes. The result is I am unable to open the Indesign file this way when always before I was able to.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. excel sheet names

InDesign doesn't show named cell ranges for excel sheet tabs that start with a number. If the sheet name starts with a number the named cell ranges on that sheet will not show up in the import drop down.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. print dialog offset greyed out

The offset, gap and transverse options in the Setup section of the Print Dialog are not greyed out and so available. I tried various document presents, print presets and printers - and no matter what settings are selected these features remain greyed out. I cannot find in help pages or anywhere online how to activate this feature. Please help or fix.

Adobe InDesign CC 2019 14.0.2 x64

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Macintosh InDesign V14.0.2. Freezes everytime I open it. Mojave operating system.

I can't use InDesign as it freezes everytime I open it. I have a brand new Mac Mini with Mojave. I have removed 14.0.2 and am loading an older version that actually worked - 13.1. Please let me know when 14.0.2 is working.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. InCopy becomes very slow when a cross-linked document is closed

InCopy 14.4, MacOS Mojave 10.14.4
    I work on an InCopy document that was assigned to me from InDesign. I want to create a cross reference to another document. Hereto I open that document, check out the content, switch back to my working document and create the references.
    After this I close the referred document and this freezes InCopy. What I see is that the CC-synchronization starts to blink constantly in my top bar. Every mouse click or cursor movement takes appr. 45 seconds to take effect.
    This is unworkable.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Text selection selects whole document AND cursor jumps to top of document after saving

InCopy 14.0. MacOs Mojave 10.14.4
    I work in a icml-document which was assigned to me from InDesign. It contains references to other documents and a lot of comments (for the designer).
    After I have made the third or later comment, it becomes impossible to select text. InCopy selects the text from the top of the document upto the point where I click the mouse. When I try Option+Shift+Arrow, the cursor jumps to the top of the document. I can save the document, after which the issue is away until I have made a few extra comments, but which also puts…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. GREP failure

InDesign 2019 14.0.2 has created a new bug with GREP. If you search for any character, InDesign jumps half way through the file.
    So, for example, if you click the cursor at the start of the document, instead of GREP finding the very first character that you search for, it instead jumps towards the end of the document.
    So, for example, if you do a search for the letter 'a' in GREP, it will miss most of the document out and find the first one towards the end of the document.
    To confirm this, if you do a search and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Properties Panel snaps closed inconveniently

I must admit, I was not a huge fan of the new properties panel, as I found having the properties at the top of my workspace quick, convenient and more easily accessible. In working with typography I've encountered a few issues with the latest release of CC (working on iMac High Sierra):

1. If I try to open the character panel, there is a lag time with the dreaded rainbow spinning wheel that either takes way to long to load and sometimes crashes the program.

So, to get around that, I've adopted using the properties panel for type changes, which opens…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. ALT key results in stall

Pressing the ALT key - be that for zooming out, using a fitting option, or any other shortcut, slows indesign to the point of non-performance, sometimes for 20 seconds or more. Happens primarily when I'm in a document with more pages/items. Have uninstalled all adobe programs and reinstalled, hasn't fixed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base