Bug details

Hand tool freezes

10.12.6 Sierra
Hand tool freezes and no other tool can be selected. It won't unfreeze unless I shut down entire computer. This is a recurring issue.

15 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Grace Peirce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having the same problem. ID 14.0.2, Mohave 10.14.4. Seems like it's random. I never select the hand tool, but sometimes the cursor changes to the hand tool and then I can't change to any other tool. I have to quit InDesign and restart the computer to get the cursor to work normally.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having the same exact issue using Indesign 14.0.2 and Mojave 10.14.4.

I didn't even use hand tool in the first place. Only direct select. Been happening for the last week and the only solution is to reboot my computer. Then I can get about 5 minutes in before it happens again. Incredibly frustrating and I'm not able to get any work done!

• Amanda - beauty, fitness, art, life commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having the same issue. I'm on a mac, and this occurs when I try to zoom in, but start Siri instead. When I do back to Indesign it stays stuck on the hand tool and I can't get any other tool!

• alisha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also having exact issue. I have to shut down Indesign for it to get unstuck out of hand tool. Only happening in indesign. Switching out doesn't work with hot keys, esc, or mouse. Tried switching to another program and back, no luck. Have to restart Indesign to fix the issue.

Please escalate this issue, It is very time consuming to have to disrupt workflow to shut down every 2-5 minutes. Luckily the save hot keys work.

Up to date on latest version of Indesign.
    Running MacOS Sierra V 10.12.6
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7

• David Berry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having the same exact problem. I have just downloaded indesign onto my brand new MacBook Pro and it is having the same exact issue. Want tool freeze. It stops after rebooting the computer for a while and then the problem reapers again. Please can you advise how to solve this issue.

• A C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

after using "v" for pasting, hand tool appear and won't able to select other tools.

tried to restart the ID, but still.

window user.
    the updated version of ID

• A C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

after using "v" for pasting, hand tool appear and won't able to select other tools.

tried to restart the ID, but still.

window user.
    the updated version of ID.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Abhinav, I realised the issue was with using the touchfreeze app which adds a delay freeze to touch typing as I was constantly moving the cursor around the screen in the surface book. As soon as I quit that the hand tool works fine.

• E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indesign CS 5.5
    Hand tool gets stuck, unable to change to other tools.
    No zooming
    When it happens, it happens to all the document that are currently open
    This happened to me for the first time today, and I had to close ID a few times.

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OSX 10.13.6
    40 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
    Standard wired keyboard

InDesign 13.1

Cannot unselect hand tool. Restarting InDesign has no effect. Clicking to other Adobe apps has no effect. Mashing keyboard has no effect. Have not yet tried restarting computer. Spotlight shortcuts disabled.

Holding down the command key gives me the zoom tool (as if I were holding down space bar and command keys).

Actually I now see that the hand tool is locked on ALL Adobe applications. Space bar works normally in other applications outside Adobe.

I was screen sharing when first encountered this problem.

Activity Monitor shows Indesign using 3.23GB of memory. Next is "kernel_task" at 2.34GB.

My InDesign file is stuck on the hand cursor so I can only pan around the document. it allows me to select the other tools and shows them as highlighted, but the cursor and it's functionality is not changing. I restarted InDesign, but it still is not working.

The spacebar shortcut for the hand tool does not work.

Indesign CC v 13.1
    Windows 10 Pro
    Microsoft Surface Book - Intel core i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.81GHz

Steps to reproduce the issues
    Pressing spacebar, the hand shows but does not move, using the hand tool does but after a slight delay.

Expected result
    Move page around

Actual Result
    Page not moving around

The problem occurs accross all files.

• A.Bhardwaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you using Dictation or Global auto correct ? If yes, then try to turn it off, restart the computer and then check if you are getting this issue again?
    It worked for me.

• lydia otway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My InDesign is stuck on the hand tool, I have restarted/reset my computer which is fully updated. I have reset my preferences and reinstalled my InDesign, It works for a bit, then gets stuck on the hand tool again. My keyboard seems to be working normally. Any suggestion to fixing this problem? it is very frustrating.

Feedback and Knowledge Base