Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

88 results found

1. About the default file format for PDF export of a book

Indesign 18.5 x64
    Windows 10 64bit
    Japanese version

Selecting the default format for pdf export of books
    Due to the file type being in string order, the interactive format pdf is the default.
    It takes a step to select the print-ready format pdf, and one out of two times I accidentally select the interactive format.
    I almost never select the interactive format in my work.
    That being said, I think some users would prefer the interactive format to be the default, so we should be able to set the default format for the book's PDF output from the settings. Or,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Cross References between files in book dependent on position in cross reference list

I have a Glossary book with 27 files (one for each letter of the alphabet plus one for numbered items). Each page of the book uses a parent page (*) located in file A which contains a bar with cross refs for each of the files so users can easily navigate. I set the cross refs in the bar to each of my files in the A file, then synchronize the parent pages to update the remaining 26 files.

When I go to B file, my cross ref palette shows that my A cross ref needs to be updated, and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Table of Contents does not generate correctly when styles are in a table

I ran into an issue with generating a Table of Contents when the Paragraph Styles it's told to look for are in the header rows of tables.

In my stripped down example of this bug, I have a series of Tables with header rows that have the Paragraph Style I set the Table of Contents to look for. It seems depending on if the table overflows and must continue on the next page, it won't always show up in the Table of Contents and it will get skipped over.

So in my example, Table 1 begins on Page 2 and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Book project list shows warning on recently-saved file

When I open a layout that is part of a book - currently have 24 different chapters in a book format - I make changes and save and close that file. It is saved. The book project palette shows an error symbol. Why? That file was just saved. So I double-click that file, it opens, the warning symbol goes away, I close that file off without needing to save it. Annoying bug needs to go away. Immediately.

Latest version - probably been a bug for a decade or more.

Steps - open file, edit, save, close off, error flag shows…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. table of contents not displaying items in tables with headers/footers

The Layout/TOC feature does not include items in tables (that have headers/footers). If a table has a header/footer, the TOC just skips over the item, and goes onto the next one. When creating the TOC, it asks me if I would like to "include items in overset text?". There is never any overset text in the document, so when I click NO, the TOC skips over the table items. If I click YES, the items in the table get repeated over and over again in the TOC.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Table of Contents Entry Character Styles

Table of contents entries (subheading styles in chapters) has a character style applied to it. When I generate TOC, the character styles and anchor markers if any also shows up in generated Table Of Contents. There should be an option to bypass the anchor markers and Character styles. Instead there should be an option given to add a new char style to the TOC entries, like there is for page no and between entry and page no.
    In attached file the underline is getting generated everytime I update the TOC. I have to manually remove the underline. Neither GREP style…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Table Of Contents Page Number Before Entry and Alphabetical Listing

I'm on InDesign 17.3 on an Intel iMac Pro (2017) running macOS 12.4 (Monterey), though I have the same problem on my new M1 MacBook Pro (same OS). No matter what I do, no matter what preferences I reset or cache I clear, I can't generate a table of contents with the page numbers before the listing, or generate a table of contents in alphabetical order instead of page order. I know it worked at one point, because I painstakingly created a paragraph style with nested styles to automatically generate my table of contents for the monthly magazine I make.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Table of Contents problem on right-facing page on spread

I use two levels of ToC (Main and sub headings). On right-facing pages in a spread, the main heading (TOC-1) appears below the sub-headings (TOC-2) in the Table Of Contents.

Consider the two attached files. The page shown in Toc problem-1 is a right-facing page in the book. The Level 1 heading is "Audible Signals," and the three Level 2 subheads are "Train Whistle/Horn Signals, Train Buzzer Signals, and Tower Whistle/Horn signals. This SHOULD appear with Audible Signals as the top-level and the other three below it. On a LEFT FACING page it works correctly. On a right-facing page it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Anchored headings on even pages appear out of order in generated tables of contents

Using InDesign v17.1 on MacOS 12.2.1. On a 50 page document with facing pages, using custom positioned anchored level 2 headings that appear to the left of paragraphs and are aligned at the left side of the text frame. When generating a table of contents, the anchored headings on even pages appear before their corresponding level 1 headings. I've moved the anchored objects slightly inside the frame and changed the left margin but problem persists. When pushing this same text to an odd page and regenerate the TOC, the problem is fixed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Book file issue

Using ID 17.0.01 x64 on Windows 11, when closing all files, but not the .indb file, the files disappear and and screen reverts to the opening screen. Under Window, the book file appears and when clicking on it, the book file shows up in the upper left hand corner of the screen. Not where I put it at the top of the right panel. Plus, it shows the last file closed wasn't saved in the book.
    Previously, the book file remained open, visible where I placed it, and the files were saved and showing saved.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Bug in the "Table of contents" in the "Book" function

Hello everyone,
    I am currently working on a manual in InDesign (version: 17.0.1) created in the "Book" function.
    I created a first "Table of Contents" that I can edit without problem.
    For the purpose of the book, I have to create a second "Table of Contents".
    But as soon as I want to edit this second Table of Contents, the InDesign application quits on its own.
    I work on Mac. First, I "saved as" and, secondly, I did the same thing, after resetting the InDesign preferences.
    I still cannot create 2 "Tables of contents" in the "Book" function.
    I would…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. New problem when creating new Book

Since latest update creating a new book asks to save each added document and replace each document being added. Add 5o documents and you have to hit save, then hit replace for every one of them before the book is created!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Previous version’s book files not saving

Using InDesign 2022 Prerelease (17.0.0.96).

When I opened my Book file, created with the current released version (16.4.0.54), in this new version, it wouldn't let me hit ⌘S to save.

It keeps prompting me to save the file anew, as though it had just converted it fresh or created the Book.

The world is not going to stop revolving around its axis over this one, but it was disconcerting and annoying.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. loading TOC-styles between various Indesign-files

InDesign version 16.4

When loading a newly created TOC-style from one InDesign-file to an other file, it copies more than just the possible TOC-styles. I loaded the TOC-styles of an InDesign-file with a smaller font and spacing and the load copied these other settings as well.
    It seems that the 'Load TOC-styles' loads all available styles, including Paragraph- and Character-styles.
    The selection-list that is available when loading Paragraph-styles and/or Character-styles is also missing.
    This makes it impossible to load TOC-styles between different InDesign-files which use the same Paragraph-style names.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. bookmarks for TOC are not correctly ordered in bookmarks panel

When I generate a TOC, some sections of the bookmarks that are created are nested within one another when they should be at the same level. The TOC styles in the screenshot show the proper hierarchy, but the bookmark folders are not correct. What is causing this. Also, clicking on the bookmarks does NOT launch the destination. I have to manually choose the menu items "Go to..."

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. In-Design still doesn't support the Automated Numbers in "Devanagari Script" Indic Language Marathi & Hindi

Hello Team, since i am using In-design for my work almost everyday, and a die hard fan for using Unicode fonts for Indian Language (JFYI I mostly work in Hindi + Marathi languages and Devanagari Script used by both these languages) and I use many fonts including that of Adobe and locally developed Unicode fonts

the Major issue I am facing is In-Design still doesn't support the Automated Numbers in "Devanagari Script" they still appear in English / Roman Numerals, which is a very annoying thing to see page numbers & auto numbered lists Showing Numbers in English / Roman…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. table of contents very buggy

i think i know how to use indesign cc's table of contents feature, but it doesn't seem to work as advertised, or demonstrated in numerous videos. i cannot get the revisions to the toc paragraph styles to effect changes in the toc itself. despite the revised and selected paragraph style showing the new redefined settings, the toc only changes what is highlighted (not the rest of the elements in that style) and then reverts back to the original display on update. will be faster to just design it as a text block, which i don't think is the point. anyone?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. page numbers incorrect

My Book has multiple InDesign documents and 2 sections. Page numbering works fine except where the first doc in the main section is concerned. When I change the order in the Page window by dragging docs and dropping them between others the page numbers change to reflect that. When I try to change the order of the first two docs the one which was second becomes first but retains the old page numbers. The one which was first is now second but its page numbers begin with page number 1. See video.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. page numbers incorrect

My Book has multiple InDesign documents and 2 sections. Page numbering works fine except where the first doc in the main section is concerned. When I change the order in the Page window by dragging docs and dropping them between others the page numbers change to reflect that. When I try to change the order of the first two docs the one which was second becomes first but retains the old page numbers. The one which was first is now second but its page numbers begin with page number 1. See video.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?