Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

195 results found

1. InDesign CC2019 - blank control panel

Just installed InDesign CC2019. Bizarrely the control panel containing the adjustment controls with character and paragraph setting is there but empty. I tried turning off and on, and resetting the workspace but to no avail. Resetting preferences on start up has worked but feel this could happen again.

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

2. Can't share from Adobe Comp CC on the iPad (which is the whole reason I signed up for a trial)

Sharing to InDesign causes Comp CC to Crash! The whole reason I signed up for the InDesign trial is to see how it works with Comp. Please fix or extend my trial until this has ben handled!

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Bug with world ready composer when use space like thin en or em space in Thai language. And bug in text wrapping in 2020 version.

After updated to 2020 version that added support to Asian languages (include Thai), it look like Indesign force user (in my case Thai) to set language in Advanced Character Formats to Thai. After set the language Indesign also require me to use World-Ready Composer to set all tone marks in place.
    Before the latest version, I always avoid to use World-Ready Composer because it combines a word to single object, not just locks tone mark and float vowel to character in the right position. By which it impossible to navigate with text tool to the position of text that…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. long text variable

InDesign (2020) crashes on opening IDML file with to long text variable as header. It worked in InDesign 2019.
    InDesign (2020) kraschar vid öppnande av IDML-fil som innehåller textvariabel med för mycket text. Det fungerade i InDesign 2019.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Thaana text properly composed in 14.0.3 messed after converting to 15.0

Weird changes in the text after converting file to 15.0. (Upon opening a file with Thaana text) see attached images.

Diacritics completely messed up AFTER recomposing (change alignment or reapply World-Ready composer) See attached images.

Cannot use double/triple-clicking to select text composed in the new composer. (can select paragraphs already composed in the previous version, if no changes are made to that paragraph.)

To see it in a new document: create a new document, copy and paste Thaana text (ex: Dhivehi Wikipedia), apply World-Ready composer.

Sample indd: https://www.dropbox.com/s/imh6najk6nlv39m/Cooperative%20Learning%20Poster.indd?dl=0

Font used: http://www.hassanhameed.com/?page_id=154

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Footnote split options create blank pages

When I enable the INDESIGN footnote split option. Its create blank pages with linked story.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Adding text to "chained" anchored textframes causing complete crash when text is added to one of the first three frames

Indesign 2020, Version 15.0.1, iMac with Mac OS 10.15.1:

We have hundreds of documents created in Indesign 2019 with "chained" anchored textframes, sometimes 4, sometimes 5 frames in a row. Frames are set to automatical height adjust. When text is added to one of the first three frames causing the frame to become higher than before Indesign chrashes completely without warning. Adding text to frame 4 or 5 does NOT create a crash! Same files work perfectly under Indesign 2019. Problem occured with first version of Indesign 2020, and remains after recent update.

Would love to attach an Indesign testfile,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Can't copy paste elements in Indesign 2020 - results in crash

When I try to copy some elements a message appears that I'm tryging to paste something, but I'm tryging to copy. If I press ok then it crashes. So, again, if I press CMD-C for copy, then I get the message that I'm about to paste something.. PLEASE FIX it soon - what ever it is..

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.2

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the update process.

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Indd file crashes when editing, including it into a book or during the book synchronization

After the Indesign update to the 2020 version I started to have problems with a single file: the program crashes every time I try to edit this file (in particular when I try to modify the content in the middle of the file, at the end of a series of tables), to include it in a book, or to synchronize a book which includes this corrupted file.
    I attach the corrupted file, so you can check
    Is there a solutions?
    Thank you

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Balance Columns Not Working for Tables

Balance Columns does not work for Tables.

Steps to duplicate:
    1. Create a large Text Frame with two columns.
    2. Enable Balance Columns on that Text Frame.
    3. Create a Table in the Text Frame with a number of rows, say 10 rows.
    4. Add a paragraph break, or return.
    5. Create a line of Text under that Table that spans columns.
    The Table ignores the Balance Columns Setting.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. There is no way to cancel "Find similar images"

InDesign 15.0

Run "Find similar images" and the candidate images will be displayed in the CC Libraries Panel. If there is no image you want at that time, I want to cancel this. I want to delete candidate images in the CC Libraries Panel and return to My Library. However, there seems to be no other way than adding one of the images to the library or restarting InDesign.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Import PDF Comments - New Bugs identified

We're facing below issues in the new feature, called 'Import PDF Comments':

(1) If text frames are overlapped and grouped, PDF comments are not embedding correctly, also updating in wrong places (please refer the attachment 1Error1.png)
    (2) PDF comments are not embedding correctly for the grouped frames (please refer the attachment 2
    Error2.png)
    (3) PDF comments are not embedding correctly for the sub-frames (please refer the attachment 3Error3.png)
    (4) PDF comments are not embedding correctly inside table cells (please refer the attachment 4
    Error4.png)
    (5) PDF comments are not embedding correctly when the fonts are missing (please refer…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

13. No keyboard focus on launch

InDesign 14.0.1.209, macOS Mojave 10.14.2

When launched and the following conditions hold, InDesign does not seem to have keyboard focus (i.e.., no keyboard shortcuts work):

1. Show ‘Start’ Workspace When No Documents Are Open is unticked.
    2. The Control bar is open in the default workspace.
    3. The CC Libraries panel is either not in the default workspace or collapsed.

Note that conditions 2 and 3 are met by several of the standard workspace, for example both Advanced and Typography (but not Book, Essentials or Essentials Classic).

If you choose a menu item or click in an input field, the app gains keyboard…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Khmer script justification is broken

With the CC version, having World-Ready Composer enabled, Khmer script justification is still broken. I tried to use the text with and without ZWSP, and it's all the same. There was a thread talking about it https://forums.adobe.com/message/5030301 but seems no any new update.

The justification is also broken in Photoshop CC.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

15. Redraw problems when having multiple Textboxes in a Textflow (Often used in DatabasedPublishing)

macOS: 10.13.6
    InDesign: 14.0.2.

When placing a Text-Frame that Adjusts in height inside of a "Master-Textframe" (Often used in DatabasedPublishing to paginate Products that should not split between columns etc.) InDesign fails to redraw the placements of other Objects correctly - AND IT EXPORTS TO PDF!

This is horrible and has already lead to some huge problems in big Projects where we needed to work this way but InDesign made it a pain.

See attached Video for clarification.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

16. Unable to add fonts to Favorites if "in-menu font previews" is turned off.

Adobe InDesign 2020 15.0, on macOS Catalina 10.15

After having updated to the latest version of Adobe InDesign 2020 I'm unable to add fonts to the Favorite Fonts filter. The fonts I've added to the filter from previous versions of InDesign are still there, but I'm not able to add any new fonts I have installed since.

The star icon that previously let you add fonts to the filter is now completely gone. I can't remove previously added fonts from the filter either.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Page Panel Numbering in right-to-left spreads

In a document with facing pages, when the document is changed to right-to-left, the numbers in page panel are displayed with a weird encoding or extra characters.

49 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Color Settings Not Sticking

Upon updating to InDesign 2019 (14.0) my color settings are no longer retained.

As soon as I quit the app and restart the color settings go back to "Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off"

I have reinstalled the app.
    I have wiped all settings.
    I have cleared the Adobe Color Cache folder.

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

19. Column Rule colour is inconsistent vs. Fill and Stroke

The colour applied to a Column Rule is darker than elsewhere applied, e.g., Fills and Strokes.

1. New file.
    2. Draw a text frame (no text needed) and set the Columns to 2 and turn ON the Column Rule with default values. However, set the Colour to 10% Black.
    3. Set the Fill and the Stroke of the text frame to the very same 10% Black.

Notice that the Column Rule is darker than the Fill and Stroke. It shouldn't be.

Hope this helps.

Allan

P.S. See the attached screenshot - I'm using Magenta rather than Black. Same results.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Column Rule disappears when grouped objects **with Text Wrap** are moved/nudged

Firstly, let me just say a BIG thanks for introducing Column Rules in CC 2020.

However, I've found a couple of problems so far.

1. New File
    2. Draw a text frame (no text needed) and set the Columns to 2, and turn ON the Column Rule (all basic, default values).
    3. Draw another text or graphic frame (doesn't matter which) and place it anywhere (doesn't matter if it overlays the text frame, or not).
    4. Group the two objects.
    5. HERE IS THE KEY STEP: With the group selected, turn on Text Wrap (doesn't matter which... anything other than 'None').
    6. Move the group ANY…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?