Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Rollover images "stick" in Interactive PDF

Hi, I am working on the document that contains multiple rollovers. All of them "stick" at one point or another, the images will change to "rollover" state but not to the normal state when hovering off. This is very confusing for the end-users. Please see attached pdf. I am using InDesign CC 2018.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Shortcuts and keyboard keys stop working.

CC2018, Windows 10, latest update as of 01/18/18, x64 system with 12GB RAM. I often have to close and reopen documents or InDesign itself for shortcuts and some keys to work. There does not seem to be a common cause or specific file(s) that sets it off and it may or may not happen to all open documents if more than one is open. Generally closing the document and reopening it helps, but there have been times where I have to restart the program for anything to work. The issue includes any shortcuts and sometimes keys such as the arrow…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Turning facing pages back on makes first Master page a spread

This is a new issue that did not exist before: 1. I have a facing-page document with single Master pages (one for the left and one for the right). see "step-1.jpg"
    2. I turn off facing pages. see "step-2.jpg" 3. I turn on facing pages again and it automatically turns the first Master page into a spread (which in-turn alters the layout of the entire document). see "step-3.jpg" How do I fix this so that re-checking facing pages keeps that Master pages as singles?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Indesign performance issue : Object movement

Indesign is always giving me rainbow wheel even if I edit small slides.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PDF Comments Insert Issues

PDF Comments do not insert at the correct location when the Insert is marked at the start or the end of a paragraph. The insert at the start of the paragraph instead gets inserted at the end of the previous paragraph. The insert at the end of a paragraph instead gets inserted *before* the final character (tested with period and question mark and happened with both).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign hangs while exporting InDesign document as IDML

Every time I try to save or export my InDesign document to idml it never finishes. It immediately goes to 27%, and then it never progresses.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Mac OS Mojave 'Dark Mode' and CC Apps

Load/Save dialogues and title bar don't honour 'dark mode' in the latest Mac OS

• Open/Save dialogues (Illustrator/Photoshop/Indesign/AcobatDC)
    • Title bar (Illustrator/Indesign/AcobatDC)

Haven't tried any other apps yet...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign performance issue: Hangs when exporting to PDF

1. Latest Indesign CC, Windows 10
    2. ID would sometimes not finish the export to PDF task and hangs for minutes. It must then be killed in the task manager. During this it constantly consumes a big lot of RAM and CPU power. See attachment.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Image color settings get lost when duplicating image or when data merging

If a placed image has an icc-profile different from the documents' profile, that profile assigment will get lost when the image is being duplicated. The same thing is going to happen if the document is being data merged for variable data printing. The image will have a wrong profile assignment in the additional records when creating the merged document. Only the first record will be properly printed, the duplicates won't. Test files attached.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign CC 2018 stalls to a spinning beachball right after opening for a brief time

On first opening InDesign in Sierra 10.2.4, after a couple of seconds of not taking any action, InDesign stalls briefly—about 3 to 4 seconds—not allowing any new action during that time. There is just a spinning beachball. I can postpone the beachball by immediately opening a menu; but after mousing away from the menu the beachball comes back. Not sure if it is trying to load something, but I currently don't have any extra extensions installed. I tried resetting preferences and removing all user install scripts, but it still did it. It's consistent every time I open the new version.…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

41 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add the Ability to turn off hover scrolling

Hover Scrolling lets you interact with the dropdown menus without ever having to click on them. Sounds cool, right?

Normally, this is not a problem, because you can easily see what has been changed because you've got an object selected. But when working with conditional text, the conditional text indicator visibility is a GLOBAL setting, and thus, hover scrolling over it can change your document, even with nothing selected. And if you're not on a page with conditional text. you'd never even know that your document got changed, until you send it to print!

This has been plaguing me for…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. InDesign performance issue: New document window gives blank screen

Latest version of InDesign supplied by Creative Cloud installer on 64-bit Windows 10 PC.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. File - New Document.
    2. Bingo...

Expected result:
    A useful window with options to create a new document.

Actual result:
    A useless blank screen (see attached screenshot).

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Margins – Irrelevant error message

CC2019 14.0.1 MacOS
    If I have a custom size page in the document (with it's own custom margins), that is smaller than the documents default margins – I get an error message every time I make InD active.

To repoduce:
    -Make new document – A4 with 20 mm margins
    -Add one page
    -Change margins on new page to 0 mm
    -Change with of new page to 10 mm width
    -Hide InDesign
    -Reactivate InDesign – Error message shown

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. ID crashes when pasting text

ID becomes very unstable if you copy and paste text from one text box to
    another that contains a paragraph style with a nested line format.
    If it doesn‘t crash immediately, move around the cursor with the arrow keys and try to paste text again.
    Please find attached a document to reproduce this bug

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. World-Ready Composer Is messing up the kerning in Latin fonts

I have reported a variation of this—back with CS6—but it seems not to have been fixed. I assume it's a bug, but if someone can enlighten me about what I might be doing wrong and how I can fix this, I'd appreciate it.

I often work on books that include Arabic and Hebrew words and phrases in the middle of English text. They only way to get the Arabic ligatures to form is to use one of the World Ready composers. When I do that, though, the kerning around some English characters often—but not always—is affected. I have tried turning…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. InDesign hangs while exporting to ICML

CC 2018 – ICML Export is hanging when trying to export.

See attached example file*, the text box highlighted on page 4 is what is causing the problem. In the export file produced (if this box is removed) the other boxes are incorrectly formatted.

* An .indd or .idml file was not allowed so unable to attach this but can provide if required.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. UI Scaling not working

I am using a Thinkpad T570 with a 4k display running the Win10 and the latest version of InDesign.

The UI scaling does not work correctly, the UI is way too small (see screenshot). I checked all the settings, it still won't scale properly. All other CC apps (besides Illustrator) scale just fine.

Here is a screenshot of IDs UI compared to PS:

Please fix this issue, so that ID scales the same way as PS and the other apps do!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Publish Online URL links breaking website functionality

File Created in Indesign CC 2017

I have created a test interactive document with links to product DG012 on our company website.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/da74b2d3-46b2-40cf-99e2-8201ddc6248a

When the link is clicked from publish online it opens the page but seems to disable all scripts that run on the website. e.g. search field and add to cart no longer functions on that page.

The website itself functions correctly if you navigate to the link manually ( http://www.lockhart.co.uk/Table-Service-and-Buffet/Buffet-Display/Display-Stands/Rafters-F usion-1-2-Board~p~DG012 ).

Interestingly in safari the add to cart button functions but the search field is still disabled.

On closer inspection it seems to be an iframe…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  13 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. idml file with frontend xml crashes with lower version indesign

when ever we try to make idml files with frontend xml, which required to open lower version of indesign file, it get crashes. Now i got in a conclusion idml files with frontend xml does not work... can you fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base