Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

933 results found

1. Ellipses not found by Find/Replace

Version of Adobe InDesign
    14.0.2 x64

Steps to reproduce the issues
    1. Placed a Word document. Reformatted etc - lots of work done.
    2. Tried to Find/Replace all ellipses to ensure they have a Thin Space before and after. InDesign Find/Replace finds no ellipses (but I am looking at them, having already replaced three periods with ellipses throughout the document).
    3. Tested in a new document - problem does not occur there. But it does if I paste the text from the previous document in.
    4. Tried exporting to IDML and re-opening to remove any corruption. This made no difference.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. tabulator

When I have a text on a path and I want to set a tabulator it is not possible to insert the number for the position correctly. There is only one cypher you can insert, die second one will not work. On top, there is the behaviour, sometimes when you insert the number, it will insert the text into the text on the path.

Fakt is, ist is not possible to work with that.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Fonts displayed as missing with (OTF) appended even though they're installed

InDesign seems to struggle to recognise installed fonts - possibly something to do with how Skyfonts works?

A file created with Skyfonts fonts shows the font family in square braces with (OTF) appended and substitutes default font, rather than making use of the identically named font file, sitting in c:\windows\fonts\ on PC / Font Book on Mac.

Same result if the font files are dumped in a Document fonts subfolder next to the InDesign file.

Troublingly, using a different font cloud sync app (or in the rare instance where the font is available on fonts.adobe.com) doesn't remove the issue -…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Footnote reference disappears when adding Unicode 1D513 into line

I am using InDesign 14.0.2.

We are a book publisher, and we sometimes use a special character in some of our academic work: a gothic P—the Unicode character 1D513 (Mathematical Fraktur Capital P). See: https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/1d513/index.htm

However, it does something very wonky with footnotes, which seems to be a bug. If we insert this character—Unicode 1D513—in the same line as a footnote reference, it makes the footnote reference disappear. The footnote stays in place. We have tried different fonts, but it doesn't seem to be font dependent. However, if it is in the same line, but after the footnote reference, it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Lao Line Breaking Support

I'm working on a major project using the Lao language and InDesign. The Lao text is not flowing correctly in InDesign. There are addons that provide these features (LaoScript), but there isn't native InDesign support, from what I can tell.

Lao text does not seem to properly word wrap. Many professionals use zero-width-spaces in Lao to create invisible 'spaces' between words so that applications properly word wrap. However, this has significant drawbacks and makes it harder for Lao people to use and edit their language because editing text with invisible characters is difficult (especially on mobile, but PCs as well).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Mongolian

Issue: InDesign does not support Mongolian vertical text direction from left-to-right.

Version: InDesign 2019, 14.0.2 x64

Steps:
    1. Place or paste Mongolian text into an InDesign text frame by using the attached Word document
    2. Skew the text frame 90 degrees (as done with vertical Chinese and Japanese).

Expected result: Please see the attached Word document and screenshot.

Actual result: Notice that the vertical text direction is right-to-left and not left-to-right. Even if the text frame is skewed in the opposite direction (minus 90 degrees) the text is just mirrored and thus not readable.

Test files and screenshot: They are…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Empty merge fields introduce characters that cannot be found

When you perform a data merge and create a new merged document InDesign adds hidden characters where the empty data field would be. These characters cannot be found using a standard search. I have not tried GREP.

In my case I was working on business cards. Some records have no mobile number so there is a blank line in the merged document, apart from the M prefix that would normally indicate a mobile number. I wanted to remove all those lines so I selected one, from the M at the beginning to the paragraph break at the end. I pasted…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Custom Thai character set does not display properly in composite font

In the Composite Font Editor, I defined a custom character set that includes all of the characters in Noto Sans Thai and tried specifying various Thai fonts to that character set as part of a composite font.

However, regardless of the font I specified and regardless of what fonts I specified for the other parts of the composite font in certain circumstances three Thai tone characters would not display (U+0E48, U+0E49, and U+0E4C). As far as I can tell, they do display when they are above another tone character, but they do not display if they are the only tone…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. CC Libraries Saved Text issue

In CC Libraries I have pre-set headlines text set with font and kerning. When I drag and drop desired headline into page layout, the font is changed out to something completely different. I've double check the save CC text file is it's as it's should be. I'm not sure what happened or how to fix it. These headlines I use on a daily bases have have hand kerning needed to each, which is time consuming to do each time.

Screen shots are with a headline what I'm looking to change from "All you need." to "The real deal." Both are…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Using glyphs in a text variable

I've defined a text variable that I use for a running header. This variable is defined from the first use of a "chapter title" paragraph style that I've also defined. I've inserted this variable on my A-master page, which is synced between documents in my book. The problem I'm running into is that I've used a number of glyphs in the text comprising the first use of that style, and the text variable (my running header) looks garbled: it's missing letters and has mixed caps. If it matters, the font I'm using is Orpheus Pro Bold.

Attached are two screenshots:…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Can't add uncapitalised word to dictionary

When I come across a word with an internal capital during spell-checking, eg: iPad, the 'Add' box is live (blue) but nothing happens when I click it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Selecting text is offset slightly so you select the wrong characters

Selecting text is sometimes really difficult as where you click is slightly off from what InDesign thinks you're clicking on. That means that when you highlight a word, it often misses the first character that you're trying to select. You then have to move the cursor slightly over another character for it to highlight it.

It's really frustrating as it doesn't seem to happen in all documents. The ones I'm having issues with at the moment use the customer's own font but I've been using that same font for about 5 years with no issues until now.

I'm using InDesign…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Duplicating Page with table and copy/pasting a table changes content of table BUG?

Version: 14.0.2

I have a table that represents a linear calendar. Each month occupies a single row. I created a table to make the calendar, with each date in its own cell. I had some trouble figuring out how to make a new cell start at 1 for each month, as it wanted to continue from the last month's last date (...32, 33, 34, ...). I managed to make it work by changing the numbering options on each individual starting cell.

However, now when I try to duplicate a page containing the calendar, or if I try to copy/paste the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Indesign cannot be embedded in Chinese fonts

Indesign cannot be embedded in Chinese fonts, but can only be embedded in subsets. It is recommended to add warning reminders.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When printing files from InDesign, we are experiencing issues. Random text is appearing bold that is not formatted as bold in the original w

When printing files from InDesign, we are experiencing issues. Random text is appearing bold that is not formatted as bold in the original working file. Also we are experiencing pictures imported that are pdfs as a black block and not showing the imported picture on the printed document. Do you have any recommendations on how this can be resolved? The only way we found to get around the matter is to create a pdf and print from the pdf. This issue has just been happening recently, we’ve never had this issue before.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Foot note enters the main text body after dividing a paragraph into 2 columns

Foot note enters the main text body after dividing a paragraph into 2 columns… look at the video. It says everything.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Editing type size from story editor is inconsistent

This is a bug, not an idea.

When I attempt to resize text by highlighting text within the story editor, the changes I punch into the toolbar do not always commit. I often have to make 2 or 3 attempts to get my changes to successfully commit.

This issue has been persistent over many versions of Indesign, over many Mac OSes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Conditional text prevents smart text reflow.

Conditional text prevents smart text reflow.

When using Smart Text Reflow with conditional text and the "delete empty pages" option selected—Hiding conditional text works as expected removing the empty pages. However, when conditional text is unhidden, Smart Text Reflow does not repopulate the pages.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base