Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Viewing page with linked image causes file to be marked as dirty (needs saving)

InDesign version: 15.1.1
    Additional versions tried: 15.0.3, 15.0, 14.0.3
    MacOS Mojave (10.14.6) on two different computers

To reproduce:
    1. Create a new empty document.
    2. Add a second page to the document.
    3. Place Image, onto the page you're viewing (I did a PNG)
    4. Save and close the document.
    5. Open the document.
    6. Wait 2-20 seconds, doing nothing to change the document.

Expected result: document opens to page with placed image, nothing else happens / changes.

Actual result: document opens to page with placed image, and after a delay the document is marked as changed (asterisk appears in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Placed graphic displays and exports outside stroke.

A placed graphic will show onscreen and in graphic exports like PNG and JPG outside the stroke when the stroke is aligned to the inside of the frame. InDesign 2020 and earlier. To reproduce: place a graphic, add a stroke to the frame, align stroke to inside, export the page to jpg or png. A thin portion of the image is visible outside the stroke. Obviously, this is most noticeable when the stroke is thick and white.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Incorrect re-linking of image files with rotation metadata

This bug occurs in all versions of InDesign.

InDesign reflects the EXIF orientation in the transform panel when an image file is placed. However, under the following conditions, the result of relinking will be incorrect.

• The image file is rotated 90 degrees with EXIF orientation.

• In the transform panel, the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different.

Image files taken with an iPhone often retain the EXIF orientation rotation. If such a file is placed in indd by the client and the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different, there will be a problem that will cause drastic changes in…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

We tried various scenarios with the attached file and got the following results:

1. Placed the ‘EXIF-Orientation-6.jpg’ file shared in the thread.
    -Rotation angle of the content was shown as -90°

2. Edited the .jpg file in Photoshop to just change the color and Updated the link in InDesign.
    -Rotation angle of the content was changed to 0°

3. Then placed this edited file again, as a new link, in InDesign.
    -Rotation angle was shown as 0°

Are you also seeing the same results?

-InDesign Team

4. Can't Place Images with Applescript on MacOS 10.15 Catalina

InDesign 15.0.1

The Place command now fails in Applescript, following an upgrade to Catalina.
    The "Image Catalog" sample script also fails to place the images in the same manner. Image placement fails with an error 1708, <<the file string>> doesn't understand the "place" message.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Problem with changing the cursor to text - Indd 2020

Hello. After running the latest version of InDesign CC 2020 v. 15.03. x64, I have a problem with changing the cursor to text and to back. It takes about 40-50 seconds. This happens each time you launch InDesign. The size of the processed file does not affect the error. Thanks for feedback.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Cannot place this file. Invalid PNG file

In 15.0.3, my publication was print ready

I updated to 15.1 as I normally would.

In 15.1, particular .png files were missing. I tried to place the missing images as usual but got the error - Cannot place this file. Invalid PNG file'.

I rolled back to 15.0.3 and am now able to place the self same files.

Update bug?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Variable font doesn't...vary.

I just installed the new Macklin variable fonts from Monotype. They work as expected in Illustrator, and the "regular" cut works as expected in InDesign. However, the Macklin Sans font dosen't work well in InDesign: the prebuilt weights are functional, but when one varies the axis sliders, they seem to have no effect. Bug in the font or in InDesign?

InDesign 15.0.2, Mac OS 10.15.4

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Round Picture Frame with Inner Stroke Leaks

Using a circular Image Frame with an Inner Stroke, let some of the placed graphics (in this case an .ai) leak outside.

This makes it useless, and causes the need to add extra elements to cover the artifacts.

It is visible in both InDesign preview (High Quality) and the exported .pdf.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Indesign crashes when clicking "Find next", searching for inline images (image frames selected in "object")

When I try to find inline images in a large string of text (because I want to alter the object style of the images), ID crashes when clicking "Find next", when there is also a text overflow and most of the images are hidden in this overflow (red +-sign).
    After creating enough new pages to fill the master text frames with the overflow-text, and then click "Find next", Indesign won't crash anymore.

Indesign 15.1.1 macOS Catalina 10.15.6 24 GB RAM iMac

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. InDesign 2020 v 15.0.1, Mac OS Catalina, indd/idml legacy layouts within packaged folders, images disappear

InDesign 2020 v 15.0.1, Mac OS Catalina. When opening legacy versions of indd or idml documents within packaged folders, images flash/display briefly, then most if not all, disappear. The only solution seems t be to re-link each graphic individually.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Typing a key to quickly find an image when importing doesn't work

When importing an image and the Place dialog window appears, I type a letter to quickly get to the image I want to import, instead of scrolling down or moving the mouse and clicking.

This works about 50% of the time. It's as though there's some kind of timeout whereby if you import too many images in a row (one by one, not multiples at once), it won't recognise a keystroke. So, many times it simply won't work and I have to click the filename with the mouse to highlight it. This also happens in Illustrator..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Linked AI / vector file previews with jagged bezier curves when rotated 90 degrees

Bezier curve of linked AI file previews as jagged/tangent straight lines when rotated 90 degrees. Looks fine at all other angles.

Linked file is saved as AI 2020.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have verified this issue using customer document.Issue is reproducible in InDesign’s 15.0.2 and 14.0.3 versions.
    We will update this thread once we have proper fix for this issue.

Workaround:
    Please switch to CPU rendering and change display performance to typical.

13. caption

When using the ‘generate live caption’ -and i read more than one data-field- the caption is placed over several paragraphs.
    When this is used in combination with numbering paragraphs (to auto number the pictures) every line gets a new number e.g.

So this is a pretty useless option right now, I have no idea how to fix this…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. thumbnail size

I'd like to be able to adjust the size of the graphic thumbnails in the CC Library panel, similarly to the ability to adjusting the thumbnail size in the Gallery view of Lightroom.

I am drawing from about a hundred images to build out a deck. Many photos are shot in similar locations and are subtly nuanced. On my 13" Macbook, I can't really distinguish them. There's plenty of room for a single line of larger images, but currently no ability to change their size. This makes ID largely useless for building out this deck unless I'm on my 27"…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Links panel misreporting ICC profiles

I would like the ICC column in the Links panel to actually show the ICC profile of the linked images. Right now it's misreporting image ICC profiles as "Document CMYK" when they are not, in fact, in that color space.

I have an InDesign document that's using a CMYK profile of "U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2". It incorporates two copies of the same image, each with different CMYK profiles, "GRACoL 4c BW" and "CGATS21_CRPC1", respectively.

Nevertheless, the ICC Profile column in the links tab reports that both of these images have the "Document CMYK" profile. As far as I can…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Images corrupted after 15.1

After the update to 15.1, a majority of embedded images in tables got corrupted. The damage done to the images is unfixable.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Open Asset Plugin window keeps opening up even though I keep shutting it. It continuously interrupts my flow.

The Open Asset plugin for Indesign continuously pops up. I don't use it. I don't want to use it. I want it to stop popping up and interrupting my workflow. If I close the window, it should stay CLOSED.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. align stroke to inside result wrong on compound path

Indesign 15.0.2

Steps:
    • Create a compound shape from a larger Path and a smaller path located completely within the larger one with »Exclude Overlap«
    • apply a Stroke with »Align stroke to inside«

Expected result: The stroke should cover the fill along both path-elements
    Actual result: The stroke on the larger object covers the fill, the stroke on the smaller one doesn't, but extends into the outside

See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/align-stroke-to-inside-for-excluded-overlap/m-p/11056870?page=1#M182733

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. align stroke to inside result wrong on compound path

Indesign 15.0.2

Steps:
    • Create a compound shape from a larger Path and a smaller path located completely within the larger one with »Exclude Overlap«
    • apply a Stroke with »Align stroke to inside«

Expected result: The stroke should cover the fill along both path-elements
    Actual result: The stroke on the larger object covers the fill, the stroke on the smaller one doesn't, but extends into the outside

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. can't delete all OR multiple missing links at once?

break, remove, delete all OR multiple missing links at once? I thought it used to be able to do this -- I can't find it anywhere in 2019 or 2020.

If not, why the heck not? It's obviously a useful feature. And I can't find anything anywhere using multiple search engines.

and NO I do not want to watch a video that may or may not answer the problem -- I want to scan a page of text & images to see if it is relevant since no titles appear -- they're all about updating or repairing.

I want to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base