1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Color-code paragraph styles

I'm working on a huge training book with dozens of styles. I've stashed them in style groups, but it is still a chore, even inside a group, to scroll, scroll, scroll to try to find the style I need -- and it is also a chore to switch among the style groups themselves -- as many of the styles are used on every page due to the nature of the material. It would be SO VERY HELPFUL if one could color-code paragraph styles (a la the Layers palette) so that when there are this many styles, the ones a person…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Avoid Widows and Orphans in Paragraph Styles

It would be great to have a check box or even a separate tab for Widows and Orphans in Paragraph Styles. Right now you have to use GREP to get this to work or control them manually. It would be a huge time saver to add this option into the style settings. These are well-known and widely used typography rules that should be a part of InDesign.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Center applied style in style panels

When I click on a paragraph or character with the text tool, InDesign’s style panel automatically jumps to and highlights the paragraph or character style, which is applied to the paragraph or character.
    (From now on please read the word »style« as »paragraph or character style«.)

But sadly the applied style is always shown as the very last item or the very first in the visible list of style panel. There are styles above and styles below this style in the whole list. (See »Standard-behaviour.png«.)

It’s easy to access the items above (respectively below): I simply can click on them. …

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Differentiate Native Styles vs Styles that came in with copy/pasted text

I would like for there to be some type of differentiation between Styles in documents when copy/pasting or bringing in new styles. Old styles get mixed up with new ones, some have the same names (body copy for example) so it's hard to tell which ones are from pasted copy and which are the ones I'm currently using in my document.

Open to any format as long as the Styles from the original document are all in one grouping and any styles from Copy/Pasted text are in another distinct grouping. This could be done by folders, or color-coding, splitting the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Footnote options sync

Can you guys make possible to import Footnote Layout? Or sync it on a book?

Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. External (Global) Styles — (Paragraph, Character, Table, etc) to sync and apply to multiple documents

It is constantly frustrating that every year Adobe fails to update InDesign with external Style functionality.

It should be easy to define a set of Paragraph Styles and apply that as "Global Style" which can then be used
    across multiple InDesign files. Updating a "Global Style" would then apply those Style changes to all affected documents.

This should apply to all things that can have styles applied, Table, Object, Paragraph, Character, etc. Any of these different styles should be able to be saved to an External Global Style — that can be then saved externally locally — or saved to the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. We need feature variables

Ideas for expanding the functionality of text variables have already appeared here. It would also be interesting to create variables to describe the properties of non-text objects. For example, color, font size, size (length / width), page position, styles, etc.

The benefit of such an introduction is obvious: you do not need to create many monotonous styles that differ only in one or two common features. It would also indirectly affect the number of master spreads created.

Each property of a certain object represented by a list (for example, color) can be expanded with variables of the corresponding types (color…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Select multiple, discontinuous paragraphs

When applying paragraph styles throughout a document, it is only possible to select multiple continuous paragraphs in one go. If I want to style all first level headings, for example, I have to click on each, apply the paragraph style and repeat and repeat and repeat... Often finding the appropriate style requires scrolling in the paragraph styles window. It would be very useful, and much quicker, to be able to select all headings and apply Head A (or whatever) in one click. This might be achieved by clicking in the paragraphs with a keyboard combination pressed or, as was done…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Offer "set number value" for a numbered list item

Could you make it possible to right-click a numbered list item so that we can make it start at any number we like?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Styles Option on New Document Settings.

I see far too many younger designers not know how to use or simply refuse to use paragraph styles, character styles, layers, and even master pages.

I'd love to see these options available in the open new document settings, just as we pick the page size, margins and gutters, I'd like styles to be an option.

As a frequent contract designer, there's nothing worse than going into someone else's InDesign document and spending more time organizing the file, making sure the entire document is formatted properly with the correct styles, separating items in proper layers... Anything to help new documents…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Use Image in Paragraph Style

It would be nice and super useful to have the ability to use images instead of solid colors in paragraph styles. for example:
    image as text character color (like clipping), image as paragraph shading background, border image, rule image, image as the bullet, etc.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Adjust Styles when you Adjust Layout

Discovered that when you use the new adjust layout option to change a document from an A3 to and A4 (for example), the character and paragraph styles already applied when it was A3 do not change to reflect the new text size that has been adjusted when going to A4. So when you go to apply a style to a new piece of text, the formatting is wrong. It also removes the styles that have been previously applied to some of the text. I have searched for a work around and cannot locate one.

Could you please add an option/check…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Map tags to Object Styles

It would be great to map tags to not only paragraph and table styles, but also to object styles. Paragraph styles have some limitations wich object styles don't have.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Form styles control within object styles

hi,
    I am referring to been able to edit and adjust all of the setting you have available via the form pane for buttons, check boxes, radio, combo and so on via an object style. at least i think it should be under object styles.

You should be able to control all of the forms options as a style so you don't have to select each one individually when the client has changes. for us doing elearning from indesign this is a must have when creating many text fields, combo boxes, check boxes and so on

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Dual numbering system for Indesign using page numbering

@Adobe: Current up-to-date InDesign has only one sequential page-numbering function.

By giving it more flexibility in creating Dual numbering system would be useful, rather then manually adding in numbers.

It will be hectic and time consuming creating design flow like example: Creating a calendar document with dual numbering or more per page.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add "Unmap All" to Map Tags to Styles

In the Map Tags to Styles popup panel, please supply a "unmap all tags" button. Sometimes we use the tags to prestyle text, but then apply manual overrides, and want to retain the manual overrides when importing new XML. We currently have to manually remove all mapped styles from the tags before doing that, which can be very tedious when working on large numbers of documents.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ability to set Style Override Highlighter as "on" or "off" in preferences

Currently the Style Override Highlighter [+] in the various styles panels functions as a toggle on a per app basis, not as an "on" or "off" preference setting. This means it can't be set on a document by document basis, as enabling it will actually toggle the setting to "off" if a user has the setting switched "on" in their copy of InDesign.

Would greatly appreciate the ability to set this as a normal InDesign preference - ie one that can be set at application/document level, the same as almost every other setting in the program.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Character style in brush form so I can just set it and highlight parts of text and the brush does the rest.

Character style in brush form so I can just set it and highlight parts of text and the brush does the rest.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow the paragraph shading to 'knock out' paragraph border in some way for more usefullness

If I specify a border & use just the 'top' as a horizontal rule with the idea to have it appear only on either side of a line of text, there isn't an option to do that or for the shading to knock-out the 'border' or have one in front of the other so it would be handy to be able to specify that one is on top of the other & the option to knock it out or a gap size. I've achieved the desired effect in the 2nd image with a white stroke but that doesn't work well…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. I am designing a book with message bubbles, wish you had a variety of them in paragraph shading. Perhaps paragraph custom "shapes."

I am designing a book with message bubbles, I so wish you had a variety of them in paragraph shading. Perhaps you could add custom paragraph "shapes."

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base