2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. find font window

To be able to scale or enlarge the FIND FONT window -
    Some font names are too long to be readable in this UI and you can not resize the window to make room for long font names.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. User interface is getting worse and worse

I am still on CS6, because newer versions have been less stable and don't bring any benefits I need. Now I tried InDesign CC 2018 and realize that the contrast of the UI gets worse (dark grey on light grey or vice versa, additionally you cannot distinguish inactive/greyed-out menu topics), that the palettes needs more space on the screen without any reason for doing this and more dialogs/messages are not on the original OS design but in a new style. I suppose this is for tablet usability, but within this app really makes no sense to me. You are moving…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Replace GUI

It could be usefull if developers could completely replace the existing GUI, and replace it with a custom build GUI. The Indesign engine could then also be used for other purposes than graphic design work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. make type palette responsive and precise - it slips and lags.

scrolling through fonts in the type palette is not smooth and responsive. It slips and lags, as if there is something blocking the mouse or trackpad sensor. Frustrating bug that does not occur in Illustrator. Please fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Cross-reference dialog: sortable picker / resizable window

Every time I place a new cross-ref or edit a broken one, it opens that "Edit cross-ref" window, which is not resizable, where a lot of space is wasted and where the most import part, the list of headlines to pick from, is not the biggest part. Then I would select a paragraph style from that very small list on the left where some style names may even be wider than the list field. And when picking from the list on the right, it is not sorted aphabetically by default. Please put something we can click to sort. Imagine you…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Layer palette extra option

Some option where the palette could/would autoshow the active layer - specifically when you have a lot of layers. Currently have docs with 100+ layers.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Please bring this little feature from XD to InDesign

Check the video. Very easy to implement. I do not understand, why you have not already.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. macOS help search

Hid, please enable macOS help-search feature. Like in the illustrator.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. print-preferences should auto-sort alphabetically

Just a thingy: Im not able to alter the order of my styles, thats fine and dandy. But then I would rather have it sorted alphabetically.

@screenshot: See how "A1" (2) is at the bottom, where my brain want to find it at the top of the list beneath A1 (1).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Open failed (.inlk): Dialog "Open As Copy?"

Ever "browsed" thru a fileserver to doubleclick the document from Finder/Explorer?
    Bad for you, if that file is in use by someone else, because:
    Now you can redo the browsing within InDesign, just to access the "open as copy" within the file-open-dialog.

What if the "No access, maybe locked."-warning can be a dialog like this: "No access, maybe locked. Try to open as Copy?"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fixing what was not broken?

Swatches Window:
    There is space at the bottom of the swatches menu to have buttons for the swatch types rather than grouping them into drop down menu. It takes more clicks and mousing around than it did in CS versions...

Same goes for Rotating spreads. I need to do this often - It used to be in the root of the pages menu, now it's nested under page attributes. Less efficient...
    A drop menu at the bottom of the pages window might make sense for this feature?

New CC Libraries menu... it looks nicer I guess but now I have…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Pasteboard Options to Document Setup

It would be handy if Pasteboard Options could be set in the New Document/Document Setup window - OR - Pasteboard default size options could be set as a percentage of document size (so it will scale relative to doc size).

My default paste board size is fine for most jobs I do (which are generally brochures / flyers etc); but it is too small for working on large banners etc. I find I am changing the preferences all the time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Toggle to turn off cursor frames and highlighted text when testing colors/fonts/strokes

Note: I'm still on Indesign 2019, so I don't know if this feature has already been added. If not, then:

Whenever I want to test different stroke colors on a picture with a border, I have to select it, which shows as cursor frame on top of the stroke (even in preview mode). Problem with this is that if the stroke is 1 or 2 points, it's hard to see the colors you're choosing because the cursor covers the stroke. So I would have to select the frame, change the color, de-select the frame to see how the stroke looks,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Reinstate option to hide Application Bar

This option has been removed in 2020.
    Application bar has virtually no functionality, and wastes valuable space on screen

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Enable easy switching between Roman, right to left & Japense feature sets

InDesign can be set to either Roman, right to left & Japense feature sets at time of installation.

Multilingual designers often have to work across multiple languages that range across reature sets.

I suggested to include an option in the settings that easily switches between these feature sets. This information is stored in the Windows Registry and in the applicationpreference.plist file on macOS so hopefully would be relatively easy to implement.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Zero Point manipulation like illustrator

I would like the ability move the 0,0 point crosshairs to an arbitrary place, copy an object, move to a different page or spread, move the zero point arbitrarily, and then paste the object into the exact same place relative to the 0,0 point, as in illustrator.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please provide interface scaling as in Illustrator and Photoshop.

Please provide interface scaling as in Illustrator and Photoshop. On a Mac / Retina display the panels and type is too small to read. Will not work to set the whole system to scaled as I go back and forth from Illustrator and PSD to Indesign, making it even more difficult to use. Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Use Opt-click for "update all cross references"

In the links panel, opt-click on the update button updates all changed links. It also has a tool tip for doing so. I have been told opt-click is a 'standard' in many Adobe apps. But "update all cross references" is not so easily found. It requires to make sure no cross reference is selected and then click the update button. This is not intuitive and hard to find. Change to opt-click (with tooltip). Check for any other place that an update button exist and unify the UI in the same manner.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. CMD/SHIFT scroll speed and direction shortcuts are now broken

It used to be that holding SHIFT and using the mouse wheel increased the scroll speed, and holding CMD changed scroll direction.

Now, holding SHIFT increases scroll speed direction AND changes scroll direction, while CMD still changes the scroll speed.

This means that, previous to the update, if you were scrolling veritcally down your document, you'd scroll normally, and could then hold shift to increase the speed. Whereas now, if you want to increase the scroll speed without changing direction you have to hold CMD as well.

IE - Previously used to work like this:

Scroll Wheel = Vertical Scroll …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base