Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN keyboard keys maintain consistent position of page in the viewport

If I click the little Previous/Next Page buttons at bottom left of screen, I can cycle through pages, and the position of the page within the window stays the same throughout the process. This is great and very helpful when flipping through a book quickly.

But if hit PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN on the keyboard, it seems to SCROLL the document position up/down by some numerical value, with no regard to the position of the page being displayed.

It would be logical and helpful if PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN had exactly the same effect as the PREVIOUS/NEXT page…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Recognize GPU Performance on more systems

I have a 2013 MacPro with dual d500 GPU's and an Eizo CG277 Monitor...which is the pinnacle of graphic design monitors. I can't enable GPU performance?! Retina monitors do not have near the color accuracy of Eizos.
    My Eizo connects via thunderbolt 2 and USB...both at the same time. The bandwidth is definitely sufficient.
    It is ridiculous.... I have more than enough power, let me utilize it. Your requirements are not valid for professionals.

Please expand your list of GPU Performance systems beyond "Retina Monitors"

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Copy GREP styles from one Paragraph Style to another

Copy GREP Styles from one Paragraph Style to another

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Give icons in the Corner Options dialogue their proper orientation

Instead of using the same orientation for each corner option icon in the Corner Options dialogue, give each corner an icon with the proper orientation. See After.png.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Object Styles (Size and Position)

When creating an Object Style and using Size and Position, the X and Y Offsets must be 0 or greater. This means you cannot create an Object Style that allows for bleed. I want to enter -.125 for the X and / or Y Offset to allow for bleeds.

P.S. The temp workaround is changing the Reference point, but if you change the Height or Width, you also have to adjust the X and Y.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to sort fonts by install date, so the most recent ones are shown first.

Ability to sort fonts by install date, so the most recent ones are shown first.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add "Page" to the "Search in:" options, for both Find/Change and Spell Check

In Find/Change and Spell Check dialogs, we have ability to search within a [Story] [To end of story] [Selection] or [Document]. I would like to see [Current Page] added that options list. Even better would be the ability to specify a [Page Range XX-XX]

[Story] is too specific when we have a bunch of separate text boxes to search through. And [Document] is often way too broad for large documents, and it also searches master pages that we may not wish to search. [Current Page] or [Page Range] would be a really nice middle-ground for both regular Find/Changes and Spell…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Preferences > Units & Increments should be application, not document preferences

Under Preferences > Units & Increments, the Keyboard Increments preferences should be application wide, not document specific.

People share documents and templates and have their own way of working. They expect keyboard shortcuts to work consistently. It is unintuitive if in one file point size and leading change in two point increments and in another they change in one point increments. There is no reason for these preferences to be document specific rather than application specific.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Improve indexing management

The GUI for Index item/topic management is painful to use. For instance, looking for an item means constantly having to scroll and expand/collapse items in the topic list, mainly because it is so small and secondly because it auto-collapses all the time. This UI should be in a resizable panel, a search field could quickly narrow choices.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Save All and Close All

Add a 'Save All' and 'Close All' to the File menu. Photoshop and other Adobe software have had this since the '90s, so why doesn't InDesign? It's inefficient to click on dozens of documents one at a time in order to save them and/or save and close them. Please emulate Photoshop as the ideal example.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add additional interactive options to the buttons and forms panel

The buttons and forms panel (used for making interactive form elements for PDF) is missing several options that are available in Acrobat such as:
    * insert image button
    * insert date button
    * insert barcode button

There was a request to do this but it was marked FIXED and (in my humble opinion) is far from fixed - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/20482882-more-options-when-creating-forms-via-indesign

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I hate the "Search is completed" or "Cannot find match" messages after searches

Specifically I hate having to click OK to close the message.
    Could the same messages just appear in the search window itself instead of the current alert? Maybe with color to make it obvious?

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Remove Adobe Stock search field from the menu bar

I don't use Adobe stock, and have no plans to. I see that under View > Extras > there is an option to hide "stock purchase badge." And in Preferences, there is a way to Disable Publish online. I would like a way to hide the Search Adobe Stock field from the Control bar. No matter how small the window gets, it is still there, even iff all the other (useful) options don't fit. Please allow us a way to hide it.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enable easy batching of GREP Find/Change queries & expandable 'entry window'

Hi there,

Rather than rely on third-party software (or convoluted scripts), there should be an option to batch GREP queries together in the Find/Change menu.

Also, it would be nice (for more extensive/complicated GREPs) to be able to expand the window in general (pertaining to both Find/Change's GREP tab and the equivalent menu for GREP styles elsewhere) when entering the expressions.

As an addendum to that last point, at the very least InDesign should have a built in (expandable) panel for copying and pasting complicated GREP syntax without having to worry about certain syntax items disappearing if copied and pasted…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Preview checkbox in preferences: grids

A preview checkbox in the grids panel under document preferences. So that you can make changes to the document grid or baseline grid without having to close the preferences panel in order to see the effects your changes have made.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Choose the language of the interface

The idea would be to be able to change the language of indesign as in Phostohop. After installing the desired languages via the Creative Cloud, it would be possible to choose the language in which you want to work. Most of the time people use 2 languages, English and their own language.
    Why not install default international English and be able to choose another language for installation.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please add an Ink Manager indicator in Swatches panel

Add an indicator to Swatches panel, showing which swatches are affected by Ink Manager. Would help prepress and collaborators know the true story of document swatches.
    NOTE: this has been proposed by other users, but I was asked to post this after I tweeted about it. So forgive redundancy. Or take it as a sign that it's a good idea. ;-)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ability to manipulate illustrator sublayers in Object Layer Options dialogue

It would be great to be able to manipulate (turn on and off) illustrator sublayers in the Object Layer Options dialogue.

I use the adobe suite for urban design mapping and analysis where we work with many layers to describe the complex nature of the city/area we are working in. We are often working with 40+ layers, many of which could be 'grouped' or collected into a single layer, however when placing the same .ai file multiple times in a report, we need to retain the ability to turn layers on or off to suit different data sets. This create…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Find/Change: Leave the "Search" area the same

When I'm doing a find/change in a "Auswahl" (in english maybe "selection"? – screenshot A), the "Search" area is always changing thereafter automatically to "Textabschnitt" (text section? - screenshot B).
    It would be great if there would be no change.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base