1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

660 results found

1. Hide all text and picture box borders when hiding Guides.

I wish InDesign would hide all faint text and box borders when hiding the document Guides. I am forced to go to Overprint Preview to hide those, which slows down the design process, because Overprint Preview mode is very slow and not at all smooth to scroll through multiple book pages to preview designs without the distractions of seeing any faint text boxes. I don't see this ability in any of the Settings menus. Indesign 19.2, Mac Ventura 13.6.4

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Set an increment for auto-sized text boxes

When making a text box auto-sized, it would be good to set how much it expands by, be it 0.5mm, 1mm etc. I use it for laying out org charts, and to set the spacing between each box it helps when they are sized to be even 1mm sizes and sit at y value of an even number. If the box ends up auto-sized to 23.34mm then starting the next box at a y value of 25mm means a 1.66mm space between the two boxes instead of a nice even 2mm or something. If I could set it so that…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Bilingual Cursor

Hi,
    Previously In PageMaker if there is a bilingual text, the cursor automatically according to the language, e.g: In English the cursor move from left to right, in Arabic language move from right to left

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. split column gutters too wide - need a "negative" width setting

The split columns feature is great, and I use it often. But when I have only two columns of generally narrow width, the resulting gutter gap is way too wide. I can adjust it down to zero, as I have done in the attached image, but it would be so helpful to be able to go into the negative numbers (or use some other method) to bring these columns much closer together.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Change color to the QR Codes when using Data Merge

InDesign is great for controlling your design, but when you're importing a QR code from a spreadsheet using Data Merge, it feels a bit limiting. It's like what Henry Ford said about having any color car, as long as it's black.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. ability to import .avif file.

InDesign should be able to import .avif files. It doesn't need more explanation than that, except to say, If importing graphics and images is one of the core purposes of the program, it's surprising to find a format that can't be imported. Please keep InDesign updated and capable of working with all formats.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Find all data placeholders

"There is at least one data placeholder that cannot be found..."

Trying to determine what InDesign is objecting to here has lost me HOURS of work. As we speak, I'm trying to set up a tab file for a document. I have inserted two data placeholders. They correspond to the two fields in the data source. I cannot locate the "offending" placeholder.

Can you PLEASE add a "locate all placeholders" or something similar so we don't pull our hair out trying to find the "extra" placeholders?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 button to center both vertical and horiz

There is plenty of ways to move a object around but why do you not include 1 that centers the object? That way you save a step by not hitting the horiz center and the the vertical center. You can add it to the layout window

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Placing a file to have it drop centered right off the bat

when you place a multi page document you then have to go back and center horz and vert each placed page. There should be a option to just place it centered automatically thus save all that extra adjustment steps.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add space before when first on page

When there is a Title which is set to be first on page, in some cases it is needed to have some space before. For example, chapter title. It is easier to set that through Paragraph Style than to set as a box feature. That feature existed in Xerox Ventura Publisher more than 30 years ago, and exists in Affinity Publisher. It is one smole checkbox in Indent and Spacing, but a big help for us who are in book layout business.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add 'contact shadows' like in Keynote, rather than just plan old drop shadows. The contact shadow is used for products standing upright.

Add 'contact shadows' like in Keynote, rather than just plan old drop shadows. The contact shadow is used for products standing upright, like bottles, loafs of bread etc etc. Have a look at this on keynote and you'll understand what I mean.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Measuring feature

It would be great if there were a way to measure the distance between 2 objects. If I could select the first hold down option and hover over another object it would be fantastic to see a popup telling me how many px it is apart

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Set zero point by selecting the intersection of a horizontal and vertical ruler guide

Set zero point by selecting the intersection of a horizontal and vertical ruler guide followed by a keyboard shortcut. Saves time spent dragging from the top left corner to the intersecting guides

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Set zero point by selecting the intersection of a horizontal and vertical ruler guide

Set zero point by selecting the intersection of a horizontal and vertical ruler guide followed by a keyboard shortcut. Saves time spent dragging from the top left corner to the intersecting guides

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make All Styles Explicit and Accessible

Currently we can open a pallet for Object Styles, Paragraph Styles, Character Styles, Table Styles, Cell Styles, and of course Style Packs.

We need to be able to access TOC styles, Caption Styles, Image Styles, Effect Styles, Animation Styles, Group Styles, Text Frame Styles, Image Frame Styles, Fill Styles (swatches), Stroke Styles, .Basically, anything that contains a defined set of characteristics that can be interchangeably applied to various objects..

That is to say that styles must be interchangeable with other like styles. For example, you can apply any paragraph style to any paragraph. Every paragraph style will work on every…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. ntsuchiya@devenneygroup.com

It would be great if we can get control over layer visibility by page in addition to by document. Add a visibility-by-page icon next to the visibility-by-document icon that controls visibility by page.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Adjust minimum height and width when scaling text frames with autosize

When scaling a text frame that is set to autosize with a minimum height and width, everything gets scaled – except for the minimum height and width, leading to ridiculously looking assets when scaled to different sizes for one-time-exceptions.

Please make it so the minimum width and height is scaled just as the margins and everything else - it would make working with assets with automadet assets with irregular sizes so much easier. Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I like the Properties Window very much. I would like it back as default window in the right bar of the window.

I like the Properties Window very much. I would like it back as default window in the right bar of the window.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Set the baseline of the first line of an object to the actual height of the first line of text

There is no standard in fonts what to use for the value of ascend. Some use the height of, say, the 'k' character. Others enter the highest glyph (including those with diacritics). Basically, that means that using ascend for the first baseline is unreliable if fonts change. The best solution would be to calculate the actual 'max glyph height' of what is actually on the first line so that the text fits exactly to the top of the frame. Using 'cap height' is not a prefect solution too as some fonts have a cap height that is smaller than e.g.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base