Adobe InDesign: Bugs
When filing a new bug, please provide:
- Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
- Steps to reproduce the issues
- Expected result
- Actual result
- Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
- or
No existing idea results
- ~ No ideas found ~
7742 results found
-
Cannot move spreads
InDesign has started glitching; not allowing me to shuffle pages, and whilst attempting to move objects – they jump un-aligned to the cursor.
I have tried simply re-starting the machine, and I have uninstalled and re-installed the program, but the issue is persisting. Do you know if there is something else that I could attempt to try and fix the issue please?
2 votes -
Cannot drag objects in second monitor
Ever since updating, I cannot drag objects with my mouse if I am displaying InDesign on my second monitor. On my laptop screen it's fine, but if I move the program to another display, I get the red "unable to move" circle. I checked my preferences, made sure all layers and objects were unlocked, restarted my computer, and still nothing was able to move if InDesign was being displayed in another monitor.
2 votes -
Error in cursor position when dragging items
Hello, InDesign is not letting me move objects (or any items at all) correctly. As soon as I click and drag anything, the position drasticaly changes to about 50px upper-right. Beyond annoying, this is getting in the way of my work. Besides moving objects on the page, I can't drag and drop between layers, or reorder pages easily. It does not happen when selecting text or dragging to create new objects.
Anyone know how to correct this? It started last week, out of the blue. I have read some similar issues on the forum, from Mac users, but I'm running on Windows 11, INDD version 19.5 x64. Have already restored the preferences, will try reinstalling the program.
Hello, InDesign is not letting me move objects (or any items at all) correctly. As soon as I click and drag anything, the position drasticaly changes to about 50px upper-right. Beyond annoying, this is getting in the way of my work. Besides moving objects on the page, I can't drag and drop between layers, or reorder pages easily. It does not happen when selecting text or dragging to create new objects.
Anyone know how to correct this? It started last week, out of the blue. I have read some similar issues on the forum, from Mac users, but I'm running…
2 votes -
live gaussian blur
There is a feature that I have been missing in InDesign for years, but which is/was realised in Adobe XD, for example: Live Gaussian Blur (see screenshot). There you could assign this to an object as a property: ‘Blur background’, set parameters and you're done! In InDesign, this can only be achieved by tedious workarounds ...
2 votes -
Cursor not accurate when moving objects
Cursor not accurate when moving objects. Clicking and dragging on an object to move it (text window or image) transports it away - to the left and down the page - from where I am trying to place it.
2 votes -
damaged file after 'Update table of contents'
damaged Indesign file after 'Update table of contents'
2 votes -
bug déplacement des objets dans In Design version 20.1
Je ne peux plus déplacer aucun bloc avec la souris ou le trackpad., qu'ils soient graphic ou texte.
Ni la fleche noir ni la fleche blanche, seulement avec les fleches du clavier
J'ai désactivé le "contenu vérouiller ajustement" dans le menu fichier et j'ai réinitaliser les préférences In Design mais cela ne marche pas mieux pour autant.
J'ai essayer dans Photoshop et je peux déplacer mes objets normalement
2 votes -
Crash/Error Reporting & (non)Solutions
I have been using Adobe products since the beginning. After a crash, I have not ever once had the Error Report that 'searches for a solution or workaround' come back with any solution—working or not. Has anyone ever had a useful solution or workaround come back? Just me?? I am guessing it is still valuable to send the reports, although not sure about that either.
2 votes -
cursor latency & movement bug
Big latency whens scrolling pages with trackpad & cursor movement errors with big latency when moving cursor from keyboard to(using iD 20.1.0.71 on MacOS Sequoia 15.1.1). iD 20 is slower than iD 19.
2 votes -
Gradient Tool Issue
Hi, I'm having an issue with the gradient tool. It's not allowing me to select any of the color swatches so I'm unable to change their color
2 votes -
GPU preview issue
GPU preview sometime doesn't preview correctly, need to switch to CPU preview for correct preview.
and sometime display image like a burst artifact. need to switch to CPU preview forth and back for several times to get everything back to normal.
MacBook Pro M4 pro 14 cores
GPU 24 cores
24MB total ramMac OS 15.3
indesign 20.12 votes -
O Indesign 20.1 está com um atraso quando clico em um objeto com a ferramenta de apontar está demorando demais para aparecer os quadradinhos
O Indesign 20.1 está com um problema quando clico em um objeto com a ferramenta de apontar. está demorando demais para aparecer os quadradinhos laterais dos objetos, só aparece quando tiro o mouse de cima do objeto.
2 votes -
Output to PDF removes bleed
Summary: Output to PDF removed bleed
Details:
I laid out a book in Indesign using the 'Book' feature, with several similar sections or documents linked as a 'Book'. Each document based on the same original so all had same settings.
I needed to output to PDF for the printer, Mixam UK. I downloaded the printer's settings, which include: output to single pages, bleed with no marks, with 'use document bleed' checked.
I had set up the documents in Indesign in spreads with 3mm bleed as usual from the start. When looking at the output settings BEFORE output, I could see it still said 'use document settings' and showed 3mm bleed all round. See attached screenshot.
I then output the book (Export Book to PDF) to single page PDF and uploaded to printer's website.
I did not notice the document in fact had ZERO BLEED. The printer alerted me. I went back and output again. This time I looked more carefully and saw that 'use document bleed' was still ticked (checked), but it had reset to 0mm. I think it does it at the point of exporting the whole 'Book'.
Workaround: I unticked 'use document bleed' and changed the bleed manually in that box to 3mm. Problem solved.
I see that a similar issue has been noted by Adobe but one suggested workaround is to export as single pages, link below. But I was using single pages so that is NOT the solution. Something is going wrong with 'use document settings', perhaps because it was a Book and not a single doc. (I did check each Indesign document is set up with 3mm bleed - yes they are.)
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/bleed-settings-incorrect-export-pdf.html?x-product
I'm working on a Mac running OS 12.6 and Adobe Indesign 2023 on subscription.
Anyway hope you can work on this and provide a fix or announcement so that other people don't send off their work without bleed.
Of course the fact the printer demands a bleed without marks is making it harder for me as customer to check I've got bleed in my PDF! That bit is not your problem!
Side note: this window for reporting bugs is too small! It's hard to see what I've already said or edit it.
Thank you.
Summary: Output to PDF removed bleed
Details:
I laid out a book in Indesign using the 'Book' feature, with several similar sections or documents linked as a 'Book'. Each document based on the same original so all had same settings.
I needed to output to PDF for the printer, Mixam UK. I downloaded the printer's settings, which include: output to single pages, bleed with no marks, with 'use document bleed' checked.
I had set up the documents in Indesign in spreads with 3mm bleed as usual from the start. When looking at the output settings BEFORE output, I could see…
2 votes -
Unable to select multiple objects when hidden spreads are in document
InDesign version: 20.1
There seems to be a bug that occurs when there are hidden spreads in the document, where you cannot click and drag to select items on a visible spread. Also when you copy content from one spread to another it doesn't transfer to the current selected page. See below for my experience:
Steps to reproduce issue (part 1):
1. create a document with multiple pages (e.g., 26 pages).
2. Hide some spreads throughout document. (e.g., page 1, page 5, pages 20-23, etc).
3. Attempt to select multiple objects by clicking and dragging.Expected result: objects selected!
Actual result: nothing selected! (Note, individual objects can be selected one at a time by pressing shift+click, or everything on the page can be selected by pressing Cmd+A. It is only click and drag to select that doesn't work).Steps to reproduce issue (part 2):
4. Attempt to copy content from one page to another by pressing Shift+Cmd+Alt+V.Expected result: Content copies onto the current selected page into the exact location as source page.
Actual result: Content copies onto a completely different page.SOLUTION - Move all hidden pages to end of document. Then selection and copy/paste will work as expected.
InDesign version: 20.1
There seems to be a bug that occurs when there are hidden spreads in the document, where you cannot click and drag to select items on a visible spread. Also when you copy content from one spread to another it doesn't transfer to the current selected page. See below for my experience:
Steps to reproduce issue (part 1):
1. create a document with multiple pages (e.g., 26 pages).
2. Hide some spreads throughout document. (e.g., page 1, page 5, pages 20-23, etc).
3. Attempt to select multiple objects by clicking and dragging.Expected result: objects selected!
Actual…2 votes -
Bug: Cannot cancel or requeue background tasks, ID keeps activating fonts for good
Indesign 2024, Windows 10.
Problem 1: even with Adobe Fonts being activated, ID 2024 starts to activate fonts it finds in \Fonts folder, doing that for good and the tasks cannot be canceled.
Problem 2: other tasks, like PDF export, are then queued and cannot be processed at all unless you could move them up the queue, which doesn't work.2 votes -
InDesign spacebar hand/zoom doesn't work when Brave browser is open on Mac
I couldn't get the spacebar toggle to hand to work in InDesign - rebooted a few times and realized that it works fine as long as Brave browser is not open. Adobe updated a few days ago, and up until now it was working fine with the browser open. Any chance of a fix?
2 votes -
InDesign 2025 can't read metadata from multiple images
macOS 15.2, InDesign 20.0.1
Problem: Metadata inside an image not being recognized by InDesign 2025.
Details:
Multiple images from different sources containing metadata that InDesign doesn't recognize
Presence of metadata in XMP Description field verified in Bridge and via InDesign's Links panel XMP File Info command.
Generating a Live Caption or Static Caption when using the Description field returns "<No data from link>".
Setting Object Export Options > Alt Text Source to From XMP: Description results in "metadata property is not present on some selected content".
When a PDF is generated using the images in question, the metadata is not passed through to the PDF, resulting in missing alt text accessibility errors.
Manually writing (or copying and pasting) the metadata to the Alt Text Source as Custom works, but as does manually creating a caption, but automation is the point.macOS 15.2, InDesign 20.0.1
Problem: Metadata inside an image not being recognized by InDesign 2025.
Details:
Multiple images from different sources containing metadata that InDesign doesn't recognize
Presence of metadata in XMP Description field verified in Bridge and via InDesign's Links panel XMP File Info command.
Generating a Live Caption or Static Caption when using the Description field returns "<No data from link>".
Setting Object Export Options > Alt Text Source to From XMP: Description results in "metadata property is not present on some selected content".
When a PDF is generated using the images in question, the metadata is not…2 votes -
"recent" files date modified
It's January 2 and all my recent files (updated within the last couple weeks or month, meaning December) are showing up as being from "1 year ago" which is not quite true.
2 votes -
Before tag and after untag frame with different behavior
If you tag a frame object (XML), this object does not behave the same after untagging as before tagging. In other words: tagging is not fully reversible. You can see a difference in the layer panel and in the exported PDF tag structure (Tagged PDF)
How can this behavior be reproduced?
- Create a new InDesign document.
- Draw a placeholder (empty) graphic frame
- Assign any XML tag to the frame
- Remove the XML tag
- Export a tagged PDF
What is the difference between the object before tagging and after untagging?
The layer panel shows a different status.
The frame before tagging is not assigned a tag in the tag structure of the PDF during PDF export. A tag is assigned to the object in the PDF structure after tagging and untagging. (see attached screenshots)
What should be the correct behavior?
Both states of the frames - i.e. without tagging and after untagging - should result in the same result in the layer panel and in the tag export for PDF.
Why is this relevant?
This causes a problem if these objects appear in the tag structure of the exported PDF. They are (empty) graphic frames, but InDesign assigns a Figure tag to them and they also have no alternative text. When checking the PDF for accessibility, an error is reported.
These two states of the same object cannot be distinguished via ExtendScript. If an InDesign document is saved using IDML, these objects are converted back into “normal” graphic frames.
InDesign, Platform
InDesign 2024, 2025
macOS MonterayDiscussion
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/rectangle-vs-graphic-frame/td-p/15039102
If you tag a frame object (XML), this object does not behave the same after untagging as before tagging. In other words: tagging is not fully reversible. You can see a difference in the layer panel and in the exported PDF tag structure (Tagged PDF)
How can this behavior be reproduced?
- Create a new InDesign document.
- Draw a placeholder (empty) graphic frame
- Assign any XML tag to the frame
- Remove the XML tag
- Export a tagged PDF
What is the difference between the object before tagging and after untagging?
The layer panel shows a different status.
The frame before tagging…
2 votes -
Text Variables using Running Headers don't show up in Table Header Rows when table is threaded across multiple pages
I have a table running across multiple pages. In the Header row I want to have a Text Variable using Running Header to pull the text using a particular paragraph style. The text variable doesn't show up. If I unthread the table so it's just a single frame, it appears.
My workaround is to unthread to one frame, convert the text variable to text, then rethread. It works if I do this at the end, but defeats the purpose of using them if customer wants last minute edits.
2 votes
- Don't see your idea?