Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

931 results found

1. Copying data from Excel table into InDesign table. Data goes into one cell, rather than all.

When pasting Excel table into InDesign table, all cells go into 1st cell as a complete table, rather than populating the table.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Non-breaking spaces & non-joiner odd behavior

The attached file has a bunch of samples. In summary, ID2018 on Mac considers a word and following spaces as one word; and a non-joiner is ignored. You'll need New Century Schoolbook LT Std to maintain proper spacing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. CC 2019 - Not all installed fonts show up in in search/font list

When I select a word, want to change the font and type a font that I have installed, it doesnt show up in the search. It does show up in the list though.

In the pictures, for example Alana and AnnabelleJF are in the List, but don't appear when searching for them. (Instead Andalus is showing, which didn't show in the list before...(???)

If i click on the Adobe Fonts Tab ("find more"/"mehr suchen") of course it shows those, but its a big hassle searching for a font and always having to switch between tabs. All installed fonts should be…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make editing text faster

When I want to, for example, remove all "m2" from "### m2" in table rows (20+ rows of table), I have to slow down my clicking, because InDesign doesn't register a selection change (double click to select), if I do it too fast. Woud be good if it was instantaneous like Word.
    My process: 1. Double click to select m2. 2. Press backspace or delete. 3. Double click to select next m2. And so on.

I know I could find-replace, but sometimes I don't want to set up a find and replace. And it just a little annoyance, which not…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Double running header and multiple stories

Running headers will not reset to blank when used with multiple stories.
    Create a multi-page document, and flow some text into. Create two paragraph styles (Section # and a Section header). Create a running header using both with a page number (P [Section #:] [Section header]) on the master page.

Now, if you add a new section # and a Section header a couple pages in, the footer will update. If you put a blank Section # paragraph, the section number will disappear from the footer (as it should). Now, if you start a new the story on a new…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. hebrew support

hello,
    we are an israeli book publisher
    we work a lot with spelling marks on letters.
    on last versions of photoshop and illustrator and older indesign versions we are pressing alt + different letters and it gives us the letter with marks.
    but only on indesign 2018 it doesnt work..
    we have to do it through gylphs all the time.
    it costs us a lot of time. plaese fix it and let us know. we tried to do it with the indian support and they couldnt do it...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Typographer's Quotes bug?

I've encountered an issue with Typographer's Quotes not working. I've searched extensively online and tried all the usual suspects (Typographer's Quotes is on in preferences, both Document and without any documents open; reset preferences) but I've been unable to fix them.

After further investigation, it seems that the issue only occurs using a single typeface (Skolar Latin, installed as OTF versions in Windows 10 Pro itself, rather than via Typekit). When typing double or single quote marks in InDesign with any weight of this typeface, then the straight version is inserted, irrespective of the Typographer's Quotes setting. If I do…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Keyboard bold shortcut uses wrong font weight

When I press Cmd+B to unbold Helvetica, it makes it UltraLight instead of regular. How weird! The old CS6 InDesign seemed to know what non-bold was better than the new font selector. Please take its information and make the new tool smarter. Thx

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Stops letting me type

I'm using InDesign 2018 and I will have my cursor in a text box and be typing when the program will stop letting me enter new text. The only way to continue entering text is to tab out of the program and back in. I have no idea what step lead to this issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. BUG: Changes aren't tracked for bottom-right table cell

The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. Likewise, inserting a new row in a table as the last row via drag and drop isn’t marked as an insertion at all. Inserting a new column in a table as the last column via drag and drop is tracked as an insertion for…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We have been able to reproduce the issue.

“The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. "
    This issue seems to be present since CS 6

-Aman

11. ID 13.1 OS X 10.11.6 typographer quotes not functioning properly despite box being checked

The "typographer quotes" box is checked, but does not produce the correct result. InDesign 13.1 OS X 10.11.6 mid-2011 27" iMac w i7 processor. When going back to panel the box is still checked!

Also BIG slowdown in performance in this version - "spinning ball" for a loooong time!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Table with Alternating Row Stroke

When using a table with alternating row strokes, the stroke between the first and second rows is always 1pt, not matter what the cell or table style is set to.

In this example, every other row of the body should be stroked at .5pt. Everything works except the first row, which is 1pt.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Editing Text Causes First Line to Move Down

If you edit text, the top line drops down (a little bit? not sure how much), as if the text frame has inset spacing from the top.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Fix it!

Footnote symbols at the beginning and at the end of the footnote I can't delete them nor the space that associated with the damn blasted symbol.

It's just a mess. Endnotes footnotes it's a horror show to deal with them. I wasn't before but with this update---truly a horror show.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for mentioning this. Do you mean the blue braces at the end and start of endnote text?
    Those are just markers that depict the start and end of endnote text. This will not be printed or exported. helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/endnotes…

To adjust the spaces, please explore and set the Type→Document Endnote options.

Please let us know if this helps you out.

-Aman

15. Footnotes baseline in CC versions

With Arabic works we need to make a beside footnotes as seen in attachments .. however I did it right way in versions before CC, it is not like that in the new versions (CC and above) .. the baseline in (CC versions) not showing in the right way, Can anyone help for workaround with the style (Beside Footnotes) to make it right??

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. paste

I'm running High Sierra (10.13.1) and InDesign CC 2018 (November release), and MS Office 2017 (Version 15.40). I have been trying to copy text from Word into text frames in InDesign, and for the past few days, every time I hit Command-V in InDesign, the program immediately freezes and stops responding. No matter how long I wait, the only way out is to force quit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. OpenType All Small Caps disappear when switching dictionary to German

I have a text that uses the OpenType feature “All Small Caps” in a lot of places. It is currently set to use the English USA dictionary. I am working on translating this text into German, and so I want to use the German dictionary for it. When I try this, all instances of All Small Caps turn to regular lower-case letters. I tried a couple of different dictionaries, some (e.g. other English and Dutch) will retain the SC and others (e.g. None) will make them disappear.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that.

InDesign version 13.0.1 x64. Dynamic spelling does not show misspelled words with red underline as you type, prefs are set to that. But if you do right mouse button, or spell check, it does know the word is misspelled, offering correction suggestions. We really need to see it "dynamically" as one types; this feature is not working.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 6 letter word is split at end of line without a hyphenation being added

Hyphenation of the style is set for 3 letters before, 3 letters after. Correct for the language would be a hyphenation after two letters in this case. Indesign cannot break the word as it wants, INSTEAD it still breaks the word, but inserts no hyphenation. This appears to be a bug. I am attaching a screen shot as well as a package file. The problem is highlighted in yellow on page 26 of the book.

Indesign: 13.0.1
    Mac: 10.12.6

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. whitespace handling processing instruction not working in InDesign CC 2018

If the XML contains "whitespace handling" processing instruction, then the XML text not visible in InDesign CC 2018, it returns empty paragraphs, but the same XML working fine in CC 2017.

Sample XML attached for your reference. Please check and revert ASAP.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base