Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pages/spread overlapping after changing page size

InDesign 2018 CC 13.0.1

Pages and spreads are doing weird things when I resize my document. It creates some odd margin after resize of pages. I start out with 2 pages, document shuffling allowed, facing pages turned off.

Page_spread_01_112617 - shows the page spread I was working with; each page is 10”x12.25”.
    Page_spread_02_112617 - after I changed the size to 10.68”x11.239” for another ad spread, a weird margin showed up. The content boxes show how there is an odd overlap; each box is 10.68" wide.
    Page_spread_03_112617 - If I move page 2 down in the Pages panel, and realign it…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bug with search and replace on locked layers

Hi all,
    it seems I’ve found an InDesign bug that is creating some problem on a project for a customer.
    I have a document with a table nested inside another table, the layer is locked but I’m able to find the text inside the nested table even if the “search on locked layer” is inactive.
    I can also apply another paragraph style to the text inside the nested table (with the layer locked) and this is causing some problem because I need to change the styles of the text of unlocked layers with a script.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fehlercode 4/Errorcode 4 for not damaged documents

1. Adobe Indesin CC 13.01
    After the last Update of Indesign time by time suddenly Indesign report a damaged file if you try to open any InDesign-Document.

Everytime after restarting the Mac everything is good and I'm fortunally able to open all o these documents.

Sometimes restarting Indesign helps, but not always.

The last 3 days it happens much to often und it nervs.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve been able to identify one scenario in which the cache folder is not accessible while InDesign is launched, resulting in the issue. The issue seems to be specific to MAC OS.

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still encounter the issue again, try to access the location “/Users//Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version/14.0/en_US/InDesign Recovery/*” and create a file in the directory.

Workaround – Quit & relaunch the application, Cache folder gets created and the problem is resolved.

-InDesign Team

4. Endnotes in epub2 don't work when using split document by paragraph style

After exporting to a reflowable epub 2.0.1, endnotes don't work when you have selected to split the epub using paragraph styles based on export label.

Thanks in advance
    Gert

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make bulleted lists act correctly when it's moved by text wrap

The bullets on the image attached have a left indent of 3 mm and a first line left indent -3 mm, but have incorrect layout, because the adjacent text box has text wrap applied, which displaces the text with bullets.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Font size of colored menu items becomes too low on high-res devices

I prefer customizing my menu and colorizing but the menu text does not align up quiet neatly in my InDesign CC 2018, same issues can also be seen at some context menu like the Layer panel

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. unable to change font, size, style in Script UI, alignment problem with Image on button

Unable to perform basic features such as changing of text Font, Styles, Sizes in CC's scriptUI.
    Alslo image in button way OFF alignment.

This result in uglier customized UIs than it's older versions.
    As the world population is getting older, the ability to have bigger font size and style is really needed.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. png transparent background showing black

Importing this icon and the transparent background is showing as black in current inDesign CC. Didn't have issues with similar icons from same site.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Unable to add Paragraph Styles to Creative Cloud Library, InDesign 2018

Not sure how you can reproduce this as I haven't found anybody else with this problem, but hopefully you can figure out how to help me. I cannot add paragraph styles to the Library, and I have tried every way:"+" button on the panel with text selected, cloud button on the styles panel, dragging from the panel... nothing works. Everything else--including character styles--can be added normally.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Anasuiya Gupta responded

The issue is due to the Kerning being set as None, if one sets it as Optical or Metrics, it solves the issue. The issue is currently under review.

10. Numbered list gets corrupted when saved and opened as idml

Version: Indesign CC 13.0 x64 Windows (and Indesign CC 2017)

1. Create 2 paragraphstyles
    2. For ParagraphStyle 1 set bullets and numbering To List Type 'Numbers' and name it 'Multiple Choice' (or something else) and Level 1
    3. For ParagraphStyle 2 base it on ParagraphStyle 1 and change the text color
    4. Create some paragraphs with different combinations of these styles.
    5. Save as idml
    6. Open the idml
    7. Look at the paragraphs of the second paragraphstyle, you will notice that paragraphStyle 2 has a numbering of his own and no longer the mix with paragraphstyle 1.

Expected result:…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Unable to change fonts

I am unable to change fonts.

Changing weights seems to work, but changing fonts does not work.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    We are looking into the issue.
    Can you reply in comments the exact issue which you are facing?
    From the comments and thread details, it seems the issue is changing the font from font menu on clicking the enter (return) key.
    You confirmation will help us understand the bug and the use case

Thanks

12. Import XLSX spreadsheet to an InDesign table: the "-1" problem

1. InDesign CS4 - CC2017

2. Generate an Excel spreadsheet that contains at least one cell with the value "-1". Save as XLSX. Import/place (cmd-d) this file as "unformatted table".

3. the cells with the value "-1" should still have this value.

4. the cells are empty. All other values seem to show up correctly.

Additional information: Working regularly on Annual Reports with 100+ tables, our choice is to import as „unformatted table“ and to do all formatting in InDesign. After changes in Excel, all we have to do is updating the linked tables via the link panel. Table contents…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Publish Online URL links breaking website functionality

File Created in Indesign CC 2017

I have created a test interactive document with links to product DG012 on our company website.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/da74b2d3-46b2-40cf-99e2-8201ddc6248a

When the link is clicked from publish online it opens the page but seems to disable all scripts that run on the website. e.g. search field and add to cart no longer functions on that page.

The website itself functions correctly if you navigate to the link manually ( http://www.lockhart.co.uk/Table-Service-and-Buffet/Buffet-Display/Display-Stands/Rafters-F usion-1-2-Board~p~DG012 ).

Interestingly in safari the add to cart button functions but the search field is still disabled.

On closer inspection it seems to be an iframe…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  14 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Identical shapes on different layers end up different sizes when scaled together using the selection tool

1) This bug occurred on InDesign cc2017 and CS6. 2) Follow these steps to replicate the bug: create a shape, let's say a circle, and then copy this circle and paste it in a separate layer directly over the top of the first. To better see the effects of the bug, make the fill of the top circle red, and the bottom blue. At this point, the bottom blue circle is completely hidden by the red circle above it. Now put a 4pt stroke with an outside alignment on the bottom blue circle. The blue circle is still hidden, and…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Anasuiya Gupta responded

Hi Michael

Thanks for reporting the issue. This is a known bug and is currently under review.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

16. Spanning columns crashes program

Working with span columns with large documents creates a bug invested document. I'm working on a document now that crashes everytime I make any change to it. So much for professional program.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. BUG Make "Fit Frame to Content" finally work with rotated/skewd content

1. Version: CS4 and above
    2. Steps: Just rotate/skew a picture within its box and use "FitFrameToContent" and watch the *content* gets cropped!
    3. Expected Result: The picture frame gets fit…
    4. Actual result: The content gets cropped.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Anchored frame looses the XML tag information as soon as anchor is released/anchor point is moved forward.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create an anchored text/graphic frame with some inline text/image. Tag the frame with some XML Tag (say 'tag1').

2. Now release the anchor.

Expected output
    - On releasing the anchor, there should be no changes in the XML tag on frame.

Actual output
    - On releasing the anchor, the frame gets untagged.

Additional note: Similar thing happens when anchor is moved forward to another position in inline text. In this case also, frames gets untagged

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Indesign performance issue : Bad performance when using span columns in InDesign/InCopy

VERSIONS
    Windows 7, CC 2015.4 and CC 2017.0
    Windows 10, CC 2015.4 and CC 2017.0
    macOS 10.12, CC 2015.4
    even CS6 versions are affected...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
    1. Create an InDesign document with several pages
    2. Define the text frame options with two columns
    3. Link all frames and fill with placeholder text
    4. Create a new paragraph style with the option "span columns" (e.g. title)
    5. Define several parts of the layout with the new paragraph style
    6.…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bug in Adobe World-Ready Composer for Kannada Language

Attached are Adobe Indesign document, Scribus (v1.5.3) document, PDF outputs.

Fonts used: Hubballi available at https://github.com/erinmclaughlin/Hubballi/blob/master/build/Hubballi-Regular.otf

Tunga: Available in Windows 10 as part of Kannada language pack.

Scribus uses "Harfbuzz" text shaping engine. It doesn't any issue shaping Kannada text, except for one case; U+0CCD U+200D which is canonical equivalence of U+200D U+0CCD. Harfbuzz has accepted this bug and will be fixed in the next release. https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/issues/435 https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/issues/341

Adobe indesign Adobe World-Ready Composer has lots of bugs with shaping Kannada text.

Please rectify as soon as possible.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Thanks for reporting this issue.
    We have verified this issue and forwarded this issue to our Indic languages expert team for investigation.

Once investigation is complete, We will definitely update this post.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base