Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

193 results found

1. ALT Text not appearing in group

InDesign 2020

Issue: I have a screenshot with alt text included (typed in the Object Export Options dialogue). I then have a simple red box (rectangle tool, no fill, 2pt stroke) highlighting a section of that screenshot. When I group those objects, and export a tagged PDF, I get an error in Acrobat stating that no alt text exists.

Expected result: Alt text should appear.

Actual result: No alt text is present, or the assigned alt text is not recognized and is flagged by Acrobat's accessibility checker.

This issue did not exist with ID 2019.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Id CC 2020 pdf export failure

I get an error "Failed to Export the PDF file" when exporting file previously created in Id CC 2019.
    Id does not give any details about the error. It simply stops exporting. I've never seen such a message before (I've been working with Id since version 1.0).
    The same file is exported from CC2019 without any problems.
    Windows 10 with all updates.

30 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

45 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Unable to add fonts to Favorites if "in-menu font previews" is turned off.

Adobe InDesign 2020 15.0, on macOS Catalina 10.15

After having updated to the latest version of Adobe InDesign 2020 I'm unable to add fonts to the Favorite Fonts filter. The fonts I've added to the filter from previous versions of InDesign are still there, but I'm not able to add any new fonts I have installed since.

The star icon that previously let you add fonts to the filter is now completely gone. I can't remove previously added fonts from the filter either.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Media panel gone HUGE

So, after running in a while on the new Adobe 2020 app, I noticed that the Media panel started to grow in size each time I opened the tab. Before I could notice, the Media panel was absolutely huge.

I tried to:

• Reset the workplace

• Reset the UI scalling

• Uninstall and Install again InDesign 2020 (While removing UI Preferences)

• Restart PC

Nothing has worked.

The only solution that seems to work as of right now is to downgrade to 2019.

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Indd file crashes when editing, including it into a book or during the book synchronization

After the Indesign update to the 2020 version I started to have problems with a single file: the program crashes every time I try to edit this file (in particular when I try to modify the content in the middle of the file, at the end of a series of tables), to include it in a book, or to synchronize a book which includes this corrupted file.
    I attach the corrupted file, so you can check
    Is there a solutions?
    Thank you

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Burmese font rendering error

InDesign CC 15
    WorldScript doesn't compose Burmese Unicode characters correctly, shifting the location of some characters and not positioning some accents correctly, do you have a plan to fix this as it has been like it for a long time? Other languages like Lao and Khmer have been fixed over time, but not Burmese.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Variable Font not working in InDesign 2020

We came along a severe bug within InDesign 2020 and Variable Font.

These Blog Posts are describing it quite well:

https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/variable-fonts-indesign-2020-bug/13051

and:
    https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/variable-fontz-in-indesign/13032

Illustrator and Photoshop do not have this bug.

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The issue has been fixed in the latest release of InDesign – InDesign 2021. The fix was also available in the previous version of InDesign – version 15.1.2
    Please update to either of these versions of InDesign to get the fix.

Adobe InDesign team

8. Exported interactive PDF does not honour reading order.

1 – InDesign 2020 15.0
    2 – Have standard copy with headings and body copy with PDF export tags applied (H1, H2, P etc). Add images between sections of text. Drag elements into the Articles panel in the correct reading order and tick 'Use for Reading Order in Tagged PDF.
    3 – Images should be in the right order
    4 – Images are not in the right order. All figures are in a <Art> tag. This was not an issue in InDesign 2019.
    5 – Order should be first block of text, image (1) and then second block of text…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Bug with world ready composer when use space like thin en or em space in Thai language. And bug in text wrapping in 2020 version.

After updated to 2020 version that added support to Asian languages (include Thai), it look like Indesign force user (in my case Thai) to set language in Advanced Character Formats to Thai. After set the language Indesign also require me to use World-Ready Composer to set all tone marks in place.
    Before the latest version, I always avoid to use World-Ready Composer because it combines a word to single object, not just locks tone mark and float vowel to character in the right position. By which it impossible to navigate with text tool to the position of text that…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. PDF Comment Loading in the Master Page

We have recently updated to 2020 version. In the previous version when I load PDF comments in InDesign they appear in the pages where they are suppose to appear. Now, in the 2020 version, they appear in the Master Page. Why is it like this?

Also may I suggest when copying text in the PDF Comments panel that the "Command+C" be activated as this is more instinctively than clicking the "Copy" button from the panel.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Undo Not Working properly in InDesign 2020

InDesign CC 2020 Undo goes back to last saved version. It does not go back one step with Command-Z. Therefore, I lose all edits made since last save. It also crashes frequently

108 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Paragraph style bullets and numbering Arabic incorrect display Indesign 2020

Latest Indesign 2020
    When specifying an Arabic string for Number in paragraph style Bullets and Numbering, the string does not display correctly. Every letter is connected to the letter to the right rather than the letter to the left.

The wrong behavior is not present in Indesign 2019.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Split column doesn't work correctly.

Urgent: ID 2020 splitting multiple columns doesn't work!
    I attach screenshot showing:
    - paragraph style split column
    - screenshot with style applied in ID 2019 14.3
    - screenshot with the same style and same text in ID 2020

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. thai

After updated to the newest Indesign 2020, word cut/ hyphenate in Thai language become incorrect.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Drag-Duplicating using Alt/Opt key does not work if key is pressed after dragging

InDesign 2020 OPTION Duplicate is now broken, just like Photoshop has always been.

Don't make me commit to the duplicate before moving an item.

Sometimes I'll move a box, then realize I intended to duplicate it, so then I'll press OPTION... now I have to commit to it FIRST.

Fix this and stop breaking things!

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. CC2020: Alternate text for hyperlinks

In CC2020 a new function for writing alternate text for links was introduced.
    Using this function and generating a PDF Leeds to wrong PDF notation. The alt text in PDF is presented by alt text, which is forbidden in the PDF world, where alt text only should be used for non text elements, e.g. pictures. By presenting only the alt text the accessibility is lost – this is against the goal to hav a better output!
    A correct output would lead to a content entry.

Note: Alt text for links is under discussion, as such alt text is not present…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Image tags all grouped in their own article at the end of the tags panel

I have set up articles in multiple files InDesign 2020 (files first created in InDesign 2019 and updated to 2020 yesterday and today). When I export to PDF, all image tags are added to a new article in the bottom of the tags panel in Acrobat DC rather than in the articles that I assigned them to in InDesign. Luckily, I preserved a version of InDesign 2019 and can open them in there and export to have the tags show up in the correct place. FYI, I also made sure my layers order in InDesign is as I want it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  amaarora responded

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Cells formatted as Number/Currency etc. in Excel without decimal places or as Date not imported correctly into InDesign.

InDesign CC : 2020 / 15.0.0.155
    MacOS : 10.13.6
    MS Excel : 16.30 for Mac

We were able since ever (last version ID CC 2019) to import Excel data-cells by InDesign with the placing functionality. With the actual version of InDesign CC 2020 numbers without any decimal places (e.g. 153) are not imported from Excel files and are displayed in InDesign with a "0" - (e.g. 153 imports to InDesign as 0). If the numbers in the Excel files have at least 1 decimal place numbers are imported correctly (e.g. 153.6 imports to InDesign as 153.6). Please fix this InDesign…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. There is no way to cancel "Find similar images"

InDesign 15.0

Run "Find similar images" and the candidate images will be displayed in the CC Libraries Panel. If there is no image you want at that time, I want to cancel this. I want to delete candidate images in the CC Libraries Panel and return to My Library. However, there seems to be no other way than adding one of the images to the library or restarting InDesign.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Tab indent of RTL Numbered List does not line up

See two screenshots attached, both are using the exact same settings, (Default, just changed to Hebrew numbering)
    in InDesign 2019 (14.0.3) Everything is nicely aligned, vs in InDesign 2020 (15.0) it's jagged, and I'm not able to align it in any way (Tabs, Indenting, etc.).
    I'm using InDesign 2020 תומך עיברית, on Windows 10

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base