Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

22 results found

1. Type 1 font warning for no reason

I am getting a warning that my document contains type 1 fonts (10 of them) when they do not (contains 4 OTF fonts).

As far as I know, I have never used a type one font in any document on my current computer which is only a few weeks old ... Mac mini with t1 chip.

InDesign version 17.0.1

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

17 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2023(v18.2.1.455). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Extensions option not showing in "Window" menu

The extensions option is not showing in the "Window" menu. When I go to Edit-> Menu I can see it as a visible option, but it does not show up. Please provide troubleshooting steps as I need to load a local extension into inDesign.

Version: 18.1 x64

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Indesign 2021 (16.0) IDLK file do not lock

It is currently possible that two users are able to open the same Indesign file. I am working on a network volume via VPN and it was possible for my colleague to open the same file i was working with. The *.idlk file was generated but it seems that it would not be recognized from the other Indesign my colleague was using.

I tried to reproduce this issuue with Indesign 2020 and all worked fine as expected.

This is an enormous issue for collaboration with other colleagues at the same projects.

74 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

51 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2022(v17.0.0.96). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. windows long paths not supported

InDesign fails to open or place files with long paths in Windows. The "Long Paths Enabled" registry setting is enabled (i.e. it is set to 1). The problem affects several functions:

1. From Bridge, Place > In Indesign causes "Script Alert: Error: Expected a reference to an existing File/Folder"

2. DataMerge in InDesign: images with long paths are skipped, i.e. aren't merged. There is no error message.

3. From InDesign. I cannot manually place a file with a long path through the “Place” dialog box. The dialog box will display the folder and thumbnails, but when I click the image to place it,…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Object States panel - Renaming is not working

InDesign isn't allowing me to rename the different states in "object layer states". I have looked this up and there are a couple of other people who have posted about the same thing. I am running InDesign 16.0.2 and its on a MacBook Pro running the OS BIg Sur.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Multiple listings of same font in Find Font menu

There are multiple listings of the same font in the Find Font menu in CC2019. All information is the same, all applied characters are the same, but there is odd behavior.

--FileACC2019WithDocumentsfontsfolder.png shows double listing of Trade Gothic LT Pro Roman.

--FileACC2019WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (when I take away access to Document fonts folder, no other changes), one instance switches to "Regular" instead of "Roman"

--FileACC2017WithDocumentfontsfolder.png shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no double listing)

--FileACC2017WithoutDocumentfontsfolder.png (Document fonts folder hidden) shows what happens with I open this file in CC2017 (no…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2022(v17.0.0.96). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

Adobe InDesign Team

7. SVG Font Designation Not Shown in Find Font

If a font is an SVG font, InDesign shows the square box "SVG" designation in the font dropdown. However, if you view the font info under Find Font (Type>Find Font), the font type does not show as SVG. There is no way to determine if an SVG font was used in the file other than to view in the font dropdown. That is a problem as SVG fonts are not supported in PDF yet and will not be caught by preflight. Can the SVG designation be added to the Find Font info screen?

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

8. 2019 workspace not sticking

upon opening a new document in Indesign 2019, workspace needs to be reset every time to return to preferred working environment.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

9. serial number changed on cc2019

User is not required to fill-in a serial number on CC apps, but nevertheless the numbers still exist and are used by 3rd party script creators to identify the user and license the script.
    this SN was kept the same on all CC versions but now it was changed. this means I need to repurchase my scripts licenses.
    the 3rd party programmer can't use just username becuase there may be more than one indesign license under one username.

suggested solution: just keep the SN as it was on CC2018 and don'r make us pay for nothing

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

10. Incopy 2019 cannot open icap file created by ID 2019

.icap files created with ID 2019 cannot be opened with IC 2019 with error message „An error occured while opening the file.“ Tested on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

11. Corrupt/pixelated cursor Issue in InDesign on MacOS High Sierra

In InDesign is a Problem with the Cursor on iOS Hight Sierra Beta Version 10.13 (17A315i). I Attached a short Video file. It is better as the describe when you what I means. Thank you.

321 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

240 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Can't open .idap files

We can package .icap files and send them to the proofreader, but when we get the .idap files back we can't open them. We get the error "The selected package file requires an InDesign document “^1” that cannot be found."

Others seem to be having the same issue here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2551100
    The plugin listed in that forum thread does not fix the problem either.

The problem started when our team updated to CC 2019... had no problems until the update. We're on Apple's Mojave OS and 2019 InDesign.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. InDesign Fonts folder no longer respects symlinks (2019, Mac)

The Fonts folder in the InDesign 2019 application folder no longer follows symlinks, as previous versions did.

I prefer to keep my InDesign fonts separate from my system fonts, and in previous versions placed a symlink to my font folder in the InDesign application folder, titled "Fonts." InDesign would follow that link, and I would have access to all of my fonts within InDesign, without needing to install them user- or system-wide.

In InDesign 2019, no symlinks are followed - not on the top level, and not inside the folder either. (Tested by symlinking one font or one folder inside…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

14. PDF

When placing a PDF of stylized text into ID2019, some text flips upside down. But it works fine in ID2018.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Search field does not work in Open dialogue box

Simple search filename request in the Open dialogue box and the search does not work in InDesign. This works in EVERY SINGLE OTHER APPLICATION KNOWN TO MAN. Just not in InDesign. InDesign is becoming the most unstable app I have ever worked within in over 10 years. Come on Adobe - this is Mac App 101 and you are FAILING MISERABLY. Fix this embarrassment immediately.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. File rename

InDesign 13.0 running Mac OX 10.12.6

If and INDD file is renamed in the Finder when it's open in InDesign, saving the file will cause an error dialog to appear saying "Changes cannot be save as InDesign can no longer access the '[filepath:newfilename]' file. Place the file in the original location and try again." This error message appears whether trying to do a simple save or even Save As.

This error appears even though both the window header and the file name in the error message both reflect the changed (not the original) file name.

Unless file is restored to…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

17. The "Find" function doesn't work properly. It writes backward or not at all

The "Find" function doesn't work properly. It writes backward or not at all

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Can not start InDesign CC 2018

I can not start the InDesign CC 2018 after the update from CC 2017. The program did not start. Nothing happened. Need I some special rights, now? What could be the reason?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

19. file name variable shows extension when placed in another document

This is specific use that may not apply to most users, but it did work in previous versions. In Indesign 13.0.1, create a file that uses the file name text variable and then place this document into another document. The text variable should show the name of the file minus the file extension, and it shows correctly in the first file. But when you place the ID file into another file, the extension shows. This worked in previous versions of ID and caught me by surprise when it didn't work in the latest version, forcing me to use the additional…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Issue has been fixed in InDesign’s latest update, Id 13.1
    Please update your InDesign for the resolution of the problem.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik

20. Mp4s don’t appear in exported swfs in indd 2018

The mp4s did work in indd 2017 and they do still in epub preview. I made identical indd files in 2017 and 2018 and placed several MP4s in both. they all worked in 2017 but in 2018 when activated by a click, button, or controller the poster disappears and the mp4 doesn’t play.
    This happened at school some students were working on the classroom 2017 macs and others their own 2018 windows and mac laptops the test I ran was on windows 10

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    Please update to InDesign’s latest update, Id 13.1 for the fix of the problem.

Thanks,
    Abhinav

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base