Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2 Headings in 1 cell is displayed incorrectly in the TOC

Since InDesign version 14.0 x64 (Windows), when creating or updating a TOC, the second heading is directly connected to the first heading without any distance and without chapter number. This only happens if both source headings are in 1 cell.

The proof: Documents made before version 14 have a correct TOC. If I open such a document with version 14 and update the TOC, it will break as mentioned above.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

2. Arabic Diacritics move to unwanted places if you use an Index Marker in the same line

1. Adobe InDesign CC 14.0 (Middle Eastern version -- English يدعم العربية)

2. a. Type this Arabic text: شَيْء غريب

3. b. Create new Index entry for the second word: غريب

4. The Diacritics should stay as they were.

5. Diacritic of the second letter (يْ) goes somewhere else.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Copying Table content from Excel to Indesign leaves the first row blank. Why?

Hello,

InDesign has a strange behavior when copying content from an Excel Table to an InDesign table. When I mark the rows it copies the content not in the first row, instead it leaves it blank and starts with the second one. So all the content moves one row lower than I want.

This is a very annoying behavior which makes working with tables really difficult and uncomfortable. Can you please fix this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. find font

Find Font isn't working for certain fonts. See the attached gif. I'm trying to change a passage of text set it Calibri (which I don't have installed) but when I open Find Font, Calibri isn't listed there so I'm unable to swap it out

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Keyboard input problem

Windows 10. ID 14.0.1
    This is similar to the 'missing first character' issue many of us have seen in the past. What happens, randomly, your keyboard input doesn't quite work. You can try various shortcuts and they simply will not work. You have to create (or go into) a text box, type some text.. and THEN keyboard shortcuts will suddenly work again.
    Acrobat does the same thing.
    Very annoying that when you think you've saved a file that it has NOT been saved.. you only find out when going to close a file that your 'ctrl S' did not work.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. text overlap

I'm using the Calendar Wizard template to create a calendar and quite often I find when I type text into the date window the text appears to overlap and I can't see what I'm typing (see image). This happens quite often and it's very frustrating. I'm using InDesign 2018 and I'm on a Mac with Mac OS Sierra. I would like to know how to fix this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Go back to old method of "space after" paragraphs

I'm fine with the concept of allowing users to adjust the "spacing between paragraphs using same style." But the way this feature was added doesn't make sense: I think you should have left the old "space after" system the way it was, and allowed users to add the "spacing between paragraphs using same style" box as an extra option. The way you set it up (unless I'm misunderstanding something), anyone wanting to put spacing between paragraphs now has to enter data into two boxes, whether they want certain sections to have custom spacing or not. It makes the "spacing between…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. When I flow text indesign inserts a bunch random pages and master page templates

When I flow text indesign inserts a bunch random pages and master page templates

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Text Wrap on image container is applied to image bounds

When applying text wrap to an image container, indesign (v14.0.1 macOS) now applies the text wrap to the image inside the container - rather frustrating if you are cropping in on part of an image with the image from.

Steps to Reproduce - Place image inside container frame making sure that the image is scaled larger than the frame (cropped by frame). Place image container over text and apply text wrap.

Expected Result - text wrap applied to container should be based on container dimensions.

Actual result - text wrap applied to image inside the container making the text wrap…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. InDesign files from CC to CS6 - hypenation won't work anymore

In advance:
    - Our external writers send us InDesign CC files (idml and indd)
    - We open and save them in InDesign CS6
    - Our customers use InDesign CS6

1. Version:
      InDesign CS6 8.0
      InDesign CC from 12.0 to 14.0.2 (others not tested)

2. Steps:
      Since when: between 10 and 17. April 2019 (last time it worked on 10. April 2019)

2.a Open InDesign CC (any version, i tested 12.0, 13.1, 14.0.1 and 14.0.2)
    2.b Save a file with activated hypenation (either indd or idml, both tested)
    2.c Open either one of 2.b. in CS6

1. Expected result:
      Hypenation works as usual in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Cross reference formats

Indesign 13.1, Windows
    When editing a cross reference format there is a button to insert special characters such as "opening simple quotation mark" and "closing simple quotation mark" which should look like ,this'. Instead, the resulting opening character is an asterisk () and the closing character is a plus (+) -> this+

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Cannot save cross-reference format with delimiter set to "false"

When creating a cross-reference format to control the appearance of a cross reference, using the <fullPara delim="" includeDelim="false"/> format refuses to save the includeDelim="false" component in the format. It will save a value of "true" but after entering false and choosing save, upon editing the reference format, the includeDelim="false" property is gone.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Endnotes in text flow - Not on a separate page

Import endnotes as plain text in the text flow. NOT on a separate page! How hard is this to understand? I groom text in one document and then copy and paste the magazine article/book chapter into another Indesign file. I can't do this if you put the endnotes in a separate text flow. It's really terrible! Dynamic notes has just been a complete failure!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Pasted text acquires overprint attribute

Copying a number of items from one document to another, all of the text that did not have an outline had its overprint attribute turned on, despite being off in the source file. It was particularly annoying to fix because most of the text was white (Paper swatch), for which the overprint setting is uneditable: I had to turn all the white text to a different colour, uncheck the overprint, then make it white again. (Using InDesign v14.0.2 on Mac OS v10.12.6.)

IMO there should never be a reason to overprint items using the Paper swatch anyway, so this attribute…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. typekit fonts missing but return when InDesign is restarted twice

1. InDesign CC 13.1 x64

2. This bug happens every time I open an InDesign file that has a typekit font (any typekit font)

3. The typekit font will show as active in my Creative Cloud assets panel. The expected result would be for the file to open with the fonts synced.

4. Actual result: InDesign tells me that the fonts are not synced. The only way to fix it is to close and open the entire program twice.
      The third time the file is opened in the program, InDesign will show that the fonts are synced.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Oswald Book Font Installed on Windows but doesn't work in InDesign

I am using InDesign CC 14.0 for Windows 7 and I am having trouble with a font called Oswald. I have 3 fonts from the family Oswald installed on my computer (book, light, and bold). However, Oswald Book does not work in InDesign. It works in Illustrator and Microsoft Word so it appears to be an InDesign issue rather than a font installation issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. l turns into i after 2 f's

When typing an "l" after "ff" it turns into an "i". So when I type "Affligem" is shows "Affiigem". In design version 14.0.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. TEXT EDIT

When I try to edit text I now always have to double click on text box twice as the first time doesn't work. This is incredibly frustrating and time consuming. I have tried all of the suggestions on the adobe forums including re-installing and turning off type contextual controls but nothing works. A separate issue that has come up is my InDesign keeps crashing when i try to add rows to a table.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Spell check not working

I have installed the latest version of ID, and the spell check is not working. It does not detect misspelled words.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

42 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience while we were investigating into the issue.
    Over the time this thread became too generic to come up with any actionable items for the team to work upon.

As a result, we started reaching out to all of you to understand the issue in depth.
    During the course of this activity it was discovered that, for majority of you the issue was no longer reproducible and the functionality resumed working fine.
    For some of you the issue was related to incorrect use of dictionary, which was resolved by suggesting the correct method.

For now, we have decided to close this thread. In case you are facing any issue with spellcheck functionality please create a new thread with more specifics so that we can start working on it asap.

You can also reach out directly to us on sharewithid@adobe.com.

-InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base