Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Feature to update links of placed InDesign documents

I often place multiple InDesign documents containing links into another one to create an overview of assets for our clients. This way I can jump directly to a specific document and make changes.
    But if I directly modify a link of a linked document, I'm not able to update those remote links in my asset overview.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Automatic page addition or subtraction when links are updated

Dear Team,

My organization uses InDesign to compile our tender documents which vary from about 200 pages to 3000 pages in pdf format. These documents tend to change in terms of the number of pages with each tender. It would save a lot of time if InDesign would check for the new page numbers and add or remove the pages accordingly when updating links. Currently if I update my pdf file to have a few more pages, InDesign does not recognize the extra pages and therefore excludes them all together. I have to manually add the pages which is time…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Find/replace objects according to their X/Y coordinates

Dealing with multiple InDesign books comprising thousands of pages, I would need to find all objects located at (or, preferably, within) certain X/Y coordinates, so as to automatically reposition them. You've made halfway to this in CC2018, implementing the size properties in the find/replace dialog box.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Optional expansion of layout area

Sometimes it would be handy if, instead of a warning message, ID would ask, if you would like to expand the layout area to prevent objects from being out of bound.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add an option to show Master Page data in the links palette

Add options for showing Master Page info to the long list of item in the Links Palette options. Should definitely include "Master Page Prefix" and "Master Page Name", might as well include "Based On" and "Number of pages" while you're at it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Backup the user-defined Document Presets in a different file than Preferences

At the moment, if a user creates several "New Document" Presets in the "New Document" window, they will be deleted if the User has to reset their InDesign preferences.

It would make more sense if the hard work that is put into creating New Document Presets was saved in a different system file (or clouded) so that
    1-they don't get lost if resetting InDesign Preferences and
    2-the Presets could be shared with other team members easily

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. New file icons (cc 2018) a step back

Just wanted to bring up something that is hindering my workflow as-of-late - the new file icons for Adobe (using Mac).

I find that the new icons are abrasive visually, but beyond that the function is a bit of a setback. For instance, I used to be able to tell the difference between an .indd file and an .idml file even at the smallest icon size, because there was a distinct difference between the two. Now, however, the difference is so subtle, given that the color/shape of the icons are nearly identical, save a little beveled corner that is indistinguishable…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Update Book panel

Please update the Book files to work more like FrameMaker.

For example, one can group files together, use folders (to treat separate files as one chapter), set the pagination settings separate for each file (start on right, start on next, make page count even, etc.)

InDesign hasn't had any major long document feature updates for some time. (Endnotes doesn't count as a long document feature since they do not currently work for a book. <g>)

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Fix the printing bug for text-heavy documents

In the 2018 InDesign, the text heavy pages won't print. Even, sometimes, if I save as a simple PDF, strip color, change fonts, etc. I've then tried to save it as an .idml file but that won't work now, either. By the way, I could print it fine last week—until I upgraded to 2018's version. I want to revert to 2017 but it has vanished. This is a bug in the new InDesign that needs fixing right now.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Multiplier le nobre des pages d'une planche

Je dois créer une brochure en acordeon qui contient 16 page. Or la limite d'une planche est de 10 pages. Est-il possible de rectifier cela?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Countdown page numbering

I needed to start a book with the highest number to the lower, but it's not possible to start a page from 200 until 1 instead of 1 to 200.
    Could a nice function also for double language book with right reading languages and left reading languages.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Duplicate spreads/pages must merged with Move Spreads/pages and provide a dialog instead of dropping duplicates in the end of the current do

The pages, duplicated through "duplicate page menu" are placed after the last page, which is usually the last page of the cover. They aren't needed there. Frankly speaking they are needed elsewhere. The duplicated spread should provide a dialog similar to moving page with the same options. That why it is user friendly to merge those options in one dialog.

Even the current implementation of the move dialog would work if the option to keep the moved pages was awailable for the current document. I don't understand why it was blended out in the first place.

The dialog must be…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Tailoring Fonts for Languages within Multilingual Documents

Sometimes large documents that have been translated into other languages will still have English written in them (company names, brand names, stuff that original creator wants to remain in English). Many times the English text will use a specific font, but that font does not support other alphabets/characters that appear in other languages, so the unsupported text comes up as red boxes.

There is no feature in InDesign that allows you to correctly identify the foreign language (all the red boxes) and lets you pick a different font WITHOUT changing the font for English. The only way to do this…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. allow to navigate between book files with PgUp and PgDn

F.e. hitting PgDn at end of opened document which is in book should open next document in book on 1st page or switch to 1st page of next document if already opened.
    Obviously it should works with PgUp at start of document.

Just like it works in Framemaker.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. full folder information when opening an existing InDesign file

When I try to open an existing InDesign document from inside the InDesign program I don't get the full range of folders (1). This does not change when going to an upper level and into the detail again despite there is an original InDesign file in one of the hidden folders. I have to go to Windows explorer (2 and 3) to start the file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. New Document dialog: trim safety margins

Print ads have trim, bleed, and safety margins on the inside of the page. Add the ability to define the safety margin in the New Document dialog. It would be better than using Margins and Columns.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add an option in Find/Change to "Continue from cursor position".

Presently, if you search and then "work" on what you find, and then continue your search, InDesign starts the search over from the beginning. This is frustrating.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Change the page size

When changing the page size, the current page content is centered relative to the new size. Or it would be nice, if I could choose to attach current content to one of the corners of the page, the same way I can choose the transformation anchor point (the square with the nine anchor points)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Anonymous responded

Thanks for this suggestion. I need a little more information in trying to understand this request a bit more:

1. Is the situation that you have created a design already or have an existing design and now need to change the page size. Any description on why you need to change the page would be helpful.
    2. How drastic is the page size change. Is it just a minor change or is it something like changing from portrait mode to landscape.
    3. Please share links to any screenshot of the document where you recently needed this feature. This would help us better understand this request.

20. Preview Checkbox in new document

Hi, Can you add the preview checkbox in the new document dialog box without going instead to preference and check the legacy dialog box.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base