When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow export to BOTH pages AND spreads in the SAME export window.

Allow export to BOTH pages AND spreads in the SAME export window.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Movies in interactive PDF

MP4 files that work everywhere in interactive PDFs would be so big. You’d own the world, dude.

This has to be on top of a list somewhere, it ain’t rocket science to understand how important this is. Buy someone or something, just get it done.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please increase the MAX page size to above 14400 pixels (20")

Pdf can support page sizes up to miles long or wide.... (although this is slightly absurd, but yes, MILES long!) but if you create a large page in InDesign you are met with a lovely error message when you come to export. Larger page sizes would be beneficial for lots of reasons, app prototyping, print, really long articles and pictures of Giraffes ;-)

Seriously though, please oh wise Adobe can you increase this limitation to a more reasonable number, Thank-you.

Bob

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please allow for more than 1 inch of Offset for Printer's Marks when exporting PDFs

Some vendors require more than 1" of bleed, especially on larger format layouts.
    Currently have to build layouts at reduced size to accomplish this.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Export from Pages Panel

The Pages panel — with pages selected — has a "print spreads/print pages" option in the contextual menu.

An option to export the selected spreads/pages to PDF would be useful, especially if it could be done seamlessly, without need for the Export Adobe PDF dialog.

Alternatively, the CMD-E shortcut with pages/spreads selected in the pages panel should bring up the Export Adobe PDF dialog with the selected page range already entered.

This would be especially useful when exporting contiguous pages!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Adopt the latest PDF 2.0 specification

Flash-based PDF interactive output from InDesign is, to be kind, rather problematic. Flash-based interactivity is problematic with mobile-based PDF readers, including Adobe Reader on the iOS and Android platforms.

Please do what you can to adopt the PDF 2.0 standard promptly. Like a lot of other users working with interactive features within PDFs, I'm hopeful that by creating conforming documents, rather than hoping for conforming PDF writer and reader applications with widely varying degrees of success, would help InDesign take advantage of intrinsic security and interactive capabilities of the PDF 2.0 specification.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. More error information when exporting to PDF

Problem Description: There are some times when exporting to a PDF, the dialogue box will show there is an error which results in no PDF being created. That is all the information we get and therefore have to guess what the problem is. Some more information would be useful.

When exporting an interactive PDF, I noticed that you get far more information when the PDF is being created.

If we had this information added to the Background Tasks when exporting a normal PDF, it would give us a clue what page is causing the problem.

I've attached a screenshot to…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Interactive button - Page destination - Acrobat

In the menu 'Objects > Interactive objects > Convert to button' one get a panel with some options with mouse over effect and macros (what the button should execute after the use interact with it). So if you choose page destination 'Go to page' and then export to PDF (interactive) you get a warning error message, that the button will be visable in Acrobat, but the 'Go to page' commande will not work.

This seems like an essential feature when dealing with interactivity.
    Please make it work directly within InDesign! It would be so much smoother than the workaround to…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PDF Export improvement

Great news that it is now possible to export multi page file as separate PDFs. However that automatically created (not optional) subfolder is unnecessary.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Scheduled Export & Scheduled Export Queue

Sometimes with larger documents, Exporting can slow down Indesign, or can even render my computer useless at this time.

It would be a great option to be able to schedule the Export option for a time of my choice (at night when I know I wont be using my computer for example) as to not slow the computer down when I need to use it most. I envision the file still needing to be left open in Indesign for it to schedule and export correctly... But what I imagine is you would still choose all your options and everything as…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. cannot print the document grid

Even with the options for print visible guides at baseline grid and print nonprinting objects selected it will not print the document grid.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. A pdf setting that allows me to Set the "opening view" properies of a pdf from indesign

Allow setting of the PDF "opening view" properties on creation instead of after creation.
    When I send a proof, I want my customers to see the pages panel, and view the files at a specific size and layout - Doing this has saved thousands of cock-ups - unfortunately it has cost me hundreds of hours doing the same thing over and over.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need More Info  ·  Anonymous responded

This feature already exists in InDesign, or are there some enhancements over and above what already exists that you are requesting here.

Thanks,
    Javed

13. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. PDF progress

Hi When exporting to PDF, would it be possible in the next available version to put a percentage figure in the top left of the toolbar (next the the pdf bars). This would save having to open the background panel to see the progress of the PDF creation. Thanks from an inpatient designer. H

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Preflight warning of unlicensed stock / watermarked images from CC Libraries

When publishing Preflight could warn of unlicensed stock / watermarked images from CC Libraries that are visible in the document.
    This would help prevent such mistakes from making it into the final published version.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Placed pdfs lose accessibility and all the tags have to be re-created

When I import or place my pdfs and then export my indesign file all the tags disappear in the exported pdf. This is really annoying as all the tags have to be created again.
    Get my tags back , all the accessibility tags which the pdf had before.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Crops Marks should automatically offset the same distance as the bleed

I does not make any sense that the default offset for crop marks is less than .125" There isn't a finishing trim method that can use crop marks closer than that. The default 0.0833 in setting is useless for production. It only causes problems and renders the bleed virtually useless.

I work in grand format print and the problem is far worse. We require .5" or 2" bleed consistently for gallery wraps, museum exhibits etc. We constantly get pdfs from clients where the bleed is 2" but the crop marks are only 0.0833" away from the page size. This renders…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Adobe PDF Presets / Transparency Flattener Presets " Convert Text To Outlines" Feature Not Working

In all previous versions of Illustrator and InDesign, when saving a PDF, I have been able to set my PDF settings to convert all text to outlines by checking "Convert All Text To Outlines" in my Adobe PDF preset. Since my recent update to 23.0.3, this feature is no longer working properly. The setting is still an option, however, upon save/export of the PDF, text is not converted to outlines as it previously was.

I have reached out to customer support for this issue and have been informed that this issue is "expected behavior of the software".

How is this…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Relative paths to external files

My goal is to do all the layout and linking in indesign then do an export to a PDF with hyperlinks. The PDF and all the external linked files will then be distributed to other computers via USB-stick or CD.
    The links has to be relative for this to work and I would like to have that option in the hyperlinks pod/panel or when doing a PDF (or HTML export).
    I have been waiting 10 years for this feature - I cant understand why it has not been implemented searching the internet. it must be a clear usecase for indesign.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base