2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

37 results found

1. Smart Text Reflow + Data Merge

When using Data Merge, if text is too long to fit on the standard 2-page Master page spread, then InDesign should automatically create additional pages (either by repeating the Master spread, or allowing Master spreads to consist of more than 2 pages) utilizing Smart Text Reflow to continue the text thread instead of oversetting the text.

My personal use case: I am working with a teacher at a university to create a literature magazine, and need to compile multiple long-form submissions into one document. Since up to 200 students could be submitting work, it is important that this can be…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Shortcuts not working for Bold, Italic or plain text! You HAVE NOT DONE SOMETHING RIGHT IN YOUR 2022 UPDATE. It has worked since CS3

Shortcuts not working for Bold, Italic or plain text! You HAVE NOT DONE SOMETHING RIGHT IN YOUR 2022 UPDATE. It has worked since CS3

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Adjust Leading Between Bullet Points

It is super time consuming to adjust the leading between bullet points every time manually. If we could set it in the paragraph style that would be so much faster. Went mad researching online but apparently there is no way to resolve this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Toggle between Text Tool and Selection Tool

I am guessing most users' experience is like mine: I am constantly going back and forth between the Text tool (working within a text block) and the Selection tool (to select/move a text block handle, or reach for something else). It's something I do dozens of times an hour during a work session. Pagemaker used to have a toggle between these two tools, which was easily accessible to the non-mousing hand: Command-Spacebar. I would urge the development of this toggle in future InDesign releases.

I know you can activate the Selection tool with the Escape key, but that's a long…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

When you have the Text Tool selected & working inside a Text Frame (cursor blinking inside the text frame), you can hold down the Cmd key. When you do that, you will immediately see the 9-points of the text frame getting highlighted, letting you Move the Text Frame by holding down on the edges with the mouse. You can resize using of the 9-points as well.
    Hope this helps. See the attached demo.

5. Share Illustrator Gradients with Indesign via CC Libraries

According to many sources online, in the old days, you were able to copy and paste gradients from Illustrator to InDesign. Now, when I copy an simple object with a complex gradient, it comes into InDesign split into many tiny objects, each with its own swatch. Totally unworkable.

Really, I should be able to save a gradient swatch to CC Library so that I can access it across Creative Cloud. Because that's what Library is for, right?

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature that should be there.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can add the object having the gradient swatch to the CC Libraries as a ‘Graphic’ in Illustrator. Then you can choose Place Linked/Place Copy in CC Libraries to use that object in InDesign. At this time, it is yet not possible to add Gradient/Pattern swatches to CC Libraries in Illustrator, so you have to add the object to the CCLib and then place that object in other apps like InDesign.

Adobe InDesign team

6. next page doesn't work

Hi there,

When inserting Type=>Special Characters=>Marker=>Next page InDesign inserts the CM marker which is the current page. Consequently where I need the next page number to appear it displays the current page number.

Kind regards
    Mike Howell

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The text frame containing the Next Page Number Marker has to just touch the text frame and the correct page number gets picked. No need to link the text frames together. Just the fact that it touches the text frame will make it automatically pick the correct next page number that the text flows to in the document.

Hope that helps.

Adobe InDesign team

7. After creating a QR-Code-symbol, I can´t change the color in InDesign.

I have to copy-paste it to Illustrator, copy-past back to Indesign, to change the color. Wouldn´t it be comfortable, to change the color directly in Indesign?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Last Sentence Nested Style Option

Add an option that will allow you to set up nested text at the end of a paragraph in addition to the beginning of paragraphs. Our magazine bolds the last sentences in one of columns and this would be a big time saver.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Placed pdf loses interactivity features and accessibility tags.

When PDFs are placed into an InDesign layout and then the entire layout is exported to PDF, the placed PDFs are converted to <Figure> tags in the final PDF.

There are many time when designers must incorporate an existing PDF into their documents, such as:

-- Multi-page PDF of an existing document.

-- A pre-made PDF AcroForm

-- In annual reports, an official letter from a president, commissioner, or other authority.

-- In financial reports, the required letter from the accounting firm as well as the financial balance sheets.

In these above cases, the placed PDFs are official documents that…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    What all things would you like PDF to retain? (alt text, tags and what else?)

Currently when PDF is imported, its imported as a single graphic.

Would you want the tags and alt text to be mapped to their correct assets in InDesign? and those tags and alt text be also editable from within InDesign after PDF is imported?

Or should they be remapped and restored once the document with placed PDF is again exported to PDF from InDesign?

Would want to know more about the proposed solution / workflow

Thanks

10. Being able to download pdf spreads of an online publication.

Right now I can view it in spreads but will donwnload pages only

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Hello, In Indesign, it would be interesting in the 'text block' to have the option 'Adapt the text to the block'. The option exists for the

Hello,

In Indesign, it would be interesting in the 'text block' to have the option 'Adapt the text to the block'. The option exists for the image block 'to adapt the image to the block proportionally' to adapt this option to the 'text block' would be a saving of time and the possibility to automate a good number of works. For example, to change from A6 to A5 via the linked article system it works great with the image block and not at all with the text block. The only possibility of action with the 'Text block' is to enlarge…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Please see if using the “Free transform tool” solves your purpose
    Just select the object, switch to the Free Transform tool, and place your cursor over one of the corner or side points. When you see the double-headed arrow, drag.

-Thanks

12. Adjust layout won't adjust line weight/thickness

Version: InDesign CC2019
    Steps to reproduce: using "Adjust layout"
    Expected result: a correct result!
    Actual result: adjust layout don't adjust line weight/thickness

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Currently this is AsDesigned. Moving this to feature request category. Do cite suitable use cases why you feel this is important

Thanks,
    Aman

13. Easier Pasteboard Changes?

I'd like an option or a tool to quickly adjust the pasteboard size. I use that area for working out different layout and content options, and I find it strange that I have to go into the preferences to make the area larger each time I start a new file.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Export All Alternate Layouts as PDFs With Layout Name

I use the alternate layout tool a lot to group different sized content in the same InDesign file.

While I know I can select the layout as a range during export, it would be a huge timesaver to be able to export all of my layouts as separate PDFs and then just add the alternate layout name to the end of the PDF file.

Ideally this could be a check box in the export settings "export each alternate layout as a separate file"

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Rename Hyperlink

Add the 'rename hyperlink' option to the 'edit hyperlink' window. I find it essential to identify hyperlinks by their names. But I often edit them. After I edit a link, and I want to rename it to better identify it, I have to open a new window just to rename it. This is quite inefficient.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make it one-click to disable USA English across all documents, existing and yet to be created.

Every new document I create defaults to USA English which is time-consuming to change for everyone who does not use this variation of UK English. Please make it a button on the 'New document' window to select default language, and please make it a tick-box in preferences. It could be worded like this for example 'What is your preferred default language?" and then a drop down. Then every document I open will automatically have the correct dictionary applied without any further time spent. Many thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Removal of direct selection function in images

Hi,
    it would be possible to disable the moving of an image when I select the central point (it automatically activates the direct selection) and this is very annoying.

sorry for the english, but I used the google translator.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Quick image adjustments in InDesign

Sometimes when creating a document I need to ever so slightly brighten the image or adjust the contrast, maybe increase the saturation; and standard workflow means pulling these up in Photoshop and applying the changes and the saving (often as a new file so as to preserve the original).

This always seems like alot of effort for something that I feel could be done on InDesigns side.

I am suggesting image quick adjustments.

So an image is coming out slightly too dark. No worries, right click, apply quick adjustments. A new tool box will open that will have basic image…

57 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for voting for the feature request.
    It will be helpful if you can add your responses for the below queries.

1. In the absence of this feature in InDesign – how do you make these adjustments today?

2. Once the image is imported into InDesign, what kind of adjustments do you mostly need?

3. On an average, in a project, how many images need adjustments once they are imported into InDesign?

19. Unable to now "unmerge" table cells Indesign CC 2019

Hi, when I merge a table cell and then try to unmerge a table cell it is no longer possible. Greyed out in menu and no way of doing it. Would be great if this was fixed urgently.
    Cheers
    Gia

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In the example shown by you, you’re trying to ‘Unmerge Cells’ of a Single-Row Table after merging these cells in a previous step. This has not been possible in any of the versions of InDesign till now.
    This would require a new implementation altogether and would thus fall under a Feature Request category.
    We’re moving it to the Feature Requests page.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

20. Grouped items revert to previous layers when moved then ungrouped

InDesign CC 13.1, Windows 10

When I have a group that contains items from various layers, and I move this to a new layer, when I ungroup those items they revert back to their original layers.

I understand the concept that grouping remembers layers, and I like this feature! It used to bug me that grouping brought everything onto the same layer, sometimes altering the appearance. However this seems like an unintended consequence.

Say I have an item on Layer 1 and an item above it on Layer 2. Grouping these items makes them both "appear" to be on Layer…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    This looks more like a feature modification request.
    I am therefore moving this to the “Feature Request” section.

Please keep adding your use-cases.

-Aman

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base