2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

294 results found

1. Export Book: Option to export documents in book as individual PDFs

When using the book export, it would be wonderful to have the option to export the documents that make up the book as separate PDFs.

This option would be useful whether exporting the entire book to PDF or exporting selected documents to PDF. Metadata embedded in each document of the book would be included in the export to pdf.

For example, I currently create a journal using the book function to pull together and organize the separate INDD files for the cover, TOC, and articles. Once the journal is completed, I need to generate the following PDFs:

1. Entire journal as…
    7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Adopt the latest PDF 2.0 specification

Flash-based PDF interactive output from InDesign is, to be kind, rather problematic. Flash-based interactivity is problematic with mobile-based PDF readers, including Adobe Reader on the iOS and Android platforms.

Please do what you can to adopt the PDF 2.0 standard promptly. Like a lot of other users working with interactive features within PDFs, I'm hopeful that by creating conforming documents, rather than hoping for conforming PDF writer and reader applications with widely varying degrees of success, would help InDesign take advantage of intrinsic security and interactive capabilities of the PDF 2.0 specification.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Movies in interactive PDF

MP4 files that work everywhere in interactive PDFs would be so big. You’d own the world, dude.

This has to be on top of a list somewhere, it ain’t rocket science to understand how important this is. Buy someone or something, just get it done.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Use layout name and custom text for export separate PDFs

Would love to see the ability to type custom text in the suffix for export separate PDF. Also, would like to see the ability to add the layout name from the flyout menu, currently it's only "incremental numbers," "page number" and "page size."

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Stop making new folders when I save individual pages to PDFs.

For my magazine, I export multiple files (over 15) to the same name+page number with the page number being the only difference. The new export feature keeps making a subset folder with the same name which screws up copying the files to the first folder. I have to rename the subset folder, copy the files to the original folder and delete the subset folder. I prefer it not to make a folder at all.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Export a specific color separation directly to PDF without having to print to file first.

Let's say you have a file that's CMYK plus one spot color (let's say Pantone 123). You want to create a PDF file for print that is only the separation of the Pantone 123 spot color. What I have to do now is create the color separation first by printing to file, then distill the resulting .ps file.
    Can there be a way to directly export the color separation by using Export to Print PDF?
    Maybe there is a way to do this already, but I have not been able to find any info online on how to do this.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Proper Relative Path Manager for Links

Allow us the ability to specify relative paths to linked assets to aid in duplication of jobs and production work.

A copied file will remember all static addresses to it's previous location.

In a scenario of using templates to complete jobs where assets get replaced and flipped, you lose time linking assets to the new address when the copied ID file should be able to look within it's new HOME FOLDER, and attempt to refresh all links.

Exporting from said file is also problematic, as the destination folder is still the "original location" and not the new file location of…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Please increase the MAX page size to above 14400 pixels (20")

Pdf can support page sizes up to miles long or wide.... (although this is slightly absurd, but yes, MILES long!) but if you create a large page in InDesign you are met with a lovely error message when you come to export. Larger page sizes would be beneficial for lots of reasons, app prototyping, print, really long articles and pictures of Giraffes ;-)

Seriously though, please oh wise Adobe can you increase this limitation to a more reasonable number, Thank-you.

Bob

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Please allow for more than 1 inch of Offset for Printer's Marks when exporting PDFs

Some vendors require more than 1" of bleed, especially on larger format layouts.
    Currently have to build layouts at reduced size to accomplish this.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Form Field Export Tags

Form fields tags aren't exporting properly for tagged pdfs in the newest Indesign (13.0.1). The tags won't show up in the file therefore not allowing the pdfs to pass the accessibility checker. The only work around I'm finding is to re-install the 2017 CC, save the files out as an idml and reopen and export from there. There are no issues when exporting as tagged pdf from the 2017 CC.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Rework overhead size to reduce pdf file size

Please fix the pdf file sizes created from overhead. For example, I think, this is created when a document has many tables (and cells) in it. I can create a text file, with zero pictures, no pixels, just vectors (the text), and the pdf proof (lowrez) size is huge! It should be about 800k, but it's at almost 10 megabytes! The only way around this is opening the pdf in acrobat and optimizing it to reduce it to the expected 800k size, which, sometimes, leads to text disapearing, but that's another issue.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. How to export multiple InDesign files to PDF

Hi.

How to export multiple InDesign files with different formats to multiple PDFs. Is there a Drag & Drop feature directly from InDesign documents to create PDFs in this way?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. "Buttons and Forms" panel desperately needs the ability to "add an image" form field

It's imperative to add to the "Buttons and Forms" panel the ability to "add an image" form field. Primarily due to ADA compliancy regarding logical reading order and layering order. Adding an image form field in Acrobat creates a nightmare of reorganizing tags. It's cumbersome and far from efficient. Plus any future edits to the InDesign file, all of the preceding must be recreated each and every time. This is a must needed feature for interactive form filling PDFs that adhere to Accessibility standards.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Need MORE features in InDesign's FORM tools.

We need more controls in InDesign's FORMS tools.

Although this was requested in https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/20482882-more-options-when-creating-forms-via-indesign, it was closed after font controls were added.

That's Not Enough! In fact, it's probably the least needed form feature of all.

The short list of what's needed:

— Add calculations and formula to a form field.

— Add JavaScripts and other programming to a form field.

— Color the background fill of a form field...and have it "stick" in the PDF, not be overridden by the user's Acrobat settings.

— When using tables to create a matrix of form fields for layout purposes, we…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Include original INDD filename in metadata on PDF export

Include original INDD filename in metadata on PDF export.

I often get PDFs from clients, usually well after a job has been completed, where they want to update it, or base a new document on the PDF. Some clients, no matter how many times you tell them not to, change the name of the PDF file, making it a little more difficult to find the source file. Or a new client will send me a PDF that I did not create... then I have to ask for the source file, and of course you get "deer in the headlights eyes".…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Export from Pages Panel

The Pages panel — with pages selected — has a "print spreads/print pages" option in the contextual menu.

An option to export the selected spreads/pages to PDF would be useful, especially if it could be done seamlessly, without need for the Export Adobe PDF dialog.

Alternatively, the CMD-E shortcut with pages/spreads selected in the pages panel should bring up the Export Adobe PDF dialog with the selected page range already entered.

This would be especially useful when exporting contiguous pages!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Preflight warning of unlicensed stock / watermarked images from CC Libraries

When publishing Preflight could warn of unlicensed stock / watermarked images from CC Libraries that are visible in the document.
    This would help prevent such mistakes from making it into the final published version.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Crops Marks should automatically offset the same distance as the bleed

I does not make any sense that the default offset for crop marks is less than .125" There isn't a finishing trim method that can use crop marks closer than that. The default 0.0833 in setting is useless for production. It only causes problems and renders the bleed virtually useless.

I work in grand format print and the problem is far worse. We require .5" or 2" bleed consistently for gallery wraps, museum exhibits etc. We constantly get pdfs from clients where the bleed is 2" but the crop marks are only 0.0833" away from the page size. This renders…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Integrate PDF comments directly with Document Cloud 'Send for Review'

Currently it's very effective to download a PDF from Document Cloud after using the Acrobat DC 'Send for Review' and then import the comments into InDesign using the PDF comments panel.

It would be great to cut out the Acrobat round-trip and have InDesign export a file for review directly to Document Cloud, and then automatically add the reviewers comments back into the ID workspace.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. More error information when exporting to PDF

Problem Description: There are some times when exporting to a PDF, the dialogue box will show there is an error which results in no PDF being created. That is all the information we get and therefore have to guess what the problem is. Some more information would be useful.

When exporting an interactive PDF, I noticed that you get far more information when the PDF is being created.

If we had this information added to the Background Tasks when exporting a normal PDF, it would give us a clue what page is causing the problem.

I've attached a screenshot to…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?