DataMerge is failing to import UTF 8 text as unicode. This is a new problem.
Adobe Indesign CC 14.02
1. Create UTF 8 Text file for merging.
2. Open previously functional Indesign document with keys already established.
3. Select data source
4. Choose text file (UTF8 no BOM) (if you have BOM, file isn't recognized)
5. Tick show import options (never needed to do this before)
6. Make sure its Unicode.
7. Data still comes in in ASCII even though I chose Unicode.
This has to be a merge problem because I can cut and paste the data into the Indesign file without issue.
Bastian S. commented
Saving the Data as UTF-16 txt file with Excel always works fine for us. - We also had a lot of issues with UTF-8.