Index Panel's Update Preview Button Causes Hard Crash
The Index panel will cause InDesign to crash if you click the update preview button when a three-layer index entry has no text in the second layer.
I figured out what causes the crash with 100% reproducable results. Here's how you do it.
1) Create a multi-document book.
2) Open one document in the book.
3) Create an index entry with three layers. For example, 'dogs > breed > beagle'.
4) Open a different document in the book.
5) Repeat step 3 in this different document, with the same entry data.
6) In the Index panel you will see two entries that are both three layers deep. Toggle the layer arrows and then double click the second layer heading of 'breed'. Delete the text in the box and hit enter.
7) You will notice in the Index panel that there is a blank space beneath 'dog' and above 'beagle.'
8) Now click the 'cycle' refresh button at the bottom of the Index panel.
9) InDesign will crash.
From a programming perspective I suspect this has something to do with no data being in the entry's second layer. It's finding 'null' and crashing.
Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest update.
Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 15.0.2 for the fix.
If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.
Adobe InDesign team
It's fixed. I tested it on the latest version, with the same steps to reproduce, and the error was not reproducible.
We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.
If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
(Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
Also, please send the following information to email@example.com :
• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
• Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
• Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.
Adobe InDesign team
It's actually the third layer in the Index, with the page numbers beneath it, that needs to be deleted. I haven't tried it with the second layer. Same issue regardless.
Here is an image that shows what I mean:
When I delete 'exporting culture to Japan', click OK, and then click the Update preview button, it crashes.
Here's my system info:
Windows 10, 64 Bit. InDesign 13.0 x64
I submitted a bug report via the crash tool the two times it happened.