Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Source Serif Pro font baseline not consistent

I'm using Indesign 15.0 on MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) running Mojave version 10.14.6

I'm experiencing a bug with the Source Serif Pro font , which I use extensively in a particular project.

I open an existing document, and the text in Source Serif Pro looks as you'd expect it to. When I start to edit the text however, it all jumps down as if the baseline settings of the text frame has been changed (although checking in the settings confirms they haven't been).

Copying and pasting the frame, or the text into a new frame, doesn't help.

It only…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Paragraph shading not aligned in justified text when optical alignment is on

If optical margin alignment (story) is ON the paragraph shading doesn't align on the right margin of justified text. hyphens seem to push the edge of the shading out. This is in build 13.1.1 but is also reported in 15.0.0.155. I cannot update to the newest version without buying a new computer—so I won't be anytime soon or maybe ever. So I hope that the bug would get fixed retroactively. My original post is here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/paragraph-shading-text-width-not-justifying/m-p/10750103#M164426

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Optical Kerning issues after recent v15 update

After the recent update (v15.0), I am having issues with Optical kerning, specifically with the font Noto Serif Khmer (Cambodian font). The kerning is completely off. I've opened the file in v14.0.3 and everything works fine in that version.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Artifact Tagging

InDesign now ignores it half the time when I designate an object as an artifact in the object export options panel. I run an accessibility check on the PDF and those objects come up as errors in the alternate text check, and I have to manually desginate them all as artifacts within Acrobat. I know this is a new issue, because I've been working with the same template for several years and locked down all the objects that were supposed to remain the same month to month. Never has a problem until the 2020 update.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. A splitted footnote with three lines violates keep options and makes a widow instead of an orphan

1. Version of Adobe InDesign
      This issue appears in every InDesign versions since footnotes are supported.
      Bug reports / feature requests (from CS3 up to CS6) have been ignored in the past.

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
      given:
      a) a footnote with three text lines
      b) splitting footnotes allowed in the footnote options
      c) keep options: at start/end of Paragraph 2/2 (2 lines at start, 2 lines at end)

Play with the textframes hight so that the footnote is forced to be splitted. It will only split 2/1, not 1/2.

1. Actual result
      The footnots splits with 2 lines in the textframe…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. ALT Text not appearing in group

InDesign 2020

Issue: I have a screenshot with alt text included (typed in the Object Export Options dialogue). I then have a simple red box (rectangle tool, no fill, 2pt stroke) highlighting a section of that screenshot. When I group those objects, and export a tagged PDF, I get an error in Acrobat stating that no alt text exists.

Expected result: Alt text should appear.

Actual result: No alt text is present, or the assigned alt text is not recognized and is flagged by Acrobat's accessibility checker.

This issue did not exist with ID 2019.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Text on path do not export to PDF inDesign 2020

Text on path with outline do not export, only first letter. Even if I change the font, reimport from idml. Only if changing alignment of outline to exterior is working

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Saving document presets always changes back to pica units

When creating and saving new document presets, despite choosing a different unit such as inches or points, after hitting the save button, the document preset is only saved in picas unit measurement

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Tillägg borta i InDesign 2020

Version: Indesign 2020

Under Fönster finns inte längre "tillägg" vilket gör att MediaFlowPro inte går att få in.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Extensions isn't working on the last Indesign versions

Using Indesign 2019 or 2020 on the MacOS, trying to install any extension, opening the menu Window > Extensions > Selecting an extension: nothing happens.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Glyph substitution not working with certain Oriya and Bengali glyphs

The following words in cannot be reproduced in InDesign. It seems the glyph substitution is not working in about 1% of cases.

র‍্যানিবিজুমাব — Bengali
    ମହତ୍ଵପୂର୍ଣ୍ଣ — Oriya
    ସ୍ଵେଚ୍ଛାକୃତ — Oriya
    କିମ୍ଵା — Oriya

It looks fine above, in any text editor, or in any Microsoft app, but does NOT look right in any Adobe app I tested, such as InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop CC 2019 and 2020 of each.
    I am applying the World-Ready Composers.
    I have tried copy+pasting the text from Word and also tried the Place command in InDesign.
    I've tested in both the English North America and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Indents incorrect when importing Word document

When importing a Word document that contains some indented paragraphs, the left indent being set to 5mm in Word (for example), once placed in InDesign, these 5mm indents typically show as 4.992mm. This would not neccesarily be a problem except that Find/Change in InDesign will not recognise an indent to 3 decimal places and therefore this cannot be located easily and fixed. This is proving to be a big problem in my workflow as I cannot automate the process of re-styling these paragraphs using InDesign Paragraph Styles with Find/Change. This bug occurs whatever measurement system is used, i.e. mm, inches,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Drag-Duplicating using Alt/Opt key does not work if key is pressed after dragging

InDesign 2020 OPTION Duplicate is now broken, just like Photoshop has always been.

Don't make me commit to the duplicate before moving an item.

Sometimes I'll move a box, then realize I intended to duplicate it, so then I'll press OPTION... now I have to commit to it FIRST.

Fix this and stop breaking things!

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While we’re still working to make the fix available for this issue, we suggest a workaround to overcome it.

Open Preferences > Interface. At the bottom of this dialog, change “Live Screen Drawing” to “Never”.

As mentioned above, we’re working to fix this issue.
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

14. CC2020: Alternate text for hyperlinks

In CC2020 a new function for writing alternate text for links was introduced.
    Using this function and generating a PDF Leeds to wrong PDF notation. The alt text in PDF is presented by alt text, which is forbidden in the PDF world, where alt text only should be used for non text elements, e.g. pictures. By presenting only the alt text the accessibility is lost – this is against the goal to hav a better output!
    A correct output would lead to a content entry.

Note: Alt text for links is under discussion, as such alt text is not present…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. RotatedTable-BaseLineGrid-NOT-WORKING.PNG

( InDesign 2020 version 15.0.0.155 on Windows 10 ).

The custom baseline grid is not working at all if a table's text frame is rotated.

It is working with text outside a table if the frame is rotated.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/InDesign/baseline-grid-landscape/m-p/10717436#M159385

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Reveal in Finder on NAS Server not working

When using InDesign 14.0.3, on mac OS X Catalina (10.15.1), ctrl clicking the .indd file's title bar to reveal in finder doesn't work (switches to finder but doesn't reveal) if the .indd file is stored on NAS RAID server. Server connection is afp://
    Revel in Finder command works fine if the .indd file is stored locally.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Export PDF crashes InDesign

Tried to export a PDF (smallest file size) with links & bookmarks active. Once I click the Export button, InDesign crashes.

InDesign 14.0.3 running on Catalina OS.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. [Performance] Footnote disappears

A footnote disappeared without reason then appeared back when I changed something in the page layout. This is a very important bug because InDesign didn't display any kind of warning about this problem: no red indicator of missing text or overfull text block. I noticed it by chance. Please look at the screen captures to understand it: the number 2 footnote is missing whereas the footnote number is present in the text. In the other screen capture, the problem has been solved.

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

68 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Slow InDesign

This latest update for late August/September is really really really slow. It lags crazy. It's not efficient to work in. Even with small documents.
    It's the most unpleasant InDesign experience ever!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Slow performance

Lately InDesign is nearly unusable. Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time. Even when clicking between panels in the toolbar there is a delay of about half a second.

I have tried ruling out potential issues like updating graphic drivers and embedding all resources into the document. Nothing works it seems like the application is just unstable. Please advise, I love to work with indesign but this is overall a very bad user experience.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base