Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Defining a Drop Cap

If you define a Drop Cap in a paragraph style WITH a character style and also define a nested style, if there is a single letter word starting the paragraph, the nested style does not recognize it and will apply the nested style to an additional word beyond the deliminator. For example, a nested style through 3 words will apply to the first 4 if the paragraph starts with "I[space]" or "A[space]". It does not do this if [none] is chosen from the character style dropdown in Drop Caps, but only if one is chosen (even when nothing is defined…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign Publish Online Not Clickable on Windows in Chrome or Firefox

Working in: Adobe InDesign CC 2018

We recently published a guide online using Adobe Publish online. The clickable elements (buttons, interactive elements) are not clickable on touchscreen PCs in Chrome or Firefox, but the touchscreen works (not as clean, but works). This issue is not present when the PC users are in safari or internet explorer. All content was created and published on a Mac, and no macs have had an issue.

The content is private, but I can send the guide to anyone from Adobe on a person-person basis.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. crash when deleting line

InDesign crashes on selecting a specific line in TOC

Hi! When trying to delete some lines in the TOC, some lines cause crashes. For one line it seems impossible to delete it. When selecting the line or the space the cursor freezes within seconds and a crash report appears.
    On reopening the file an error message appears, though the file can be opened.
    Attached are two screenshots and the file.
    Regards,
    Peter

version 13.1x64

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Anchored object in table cell

1. InDesign version 13.1
    2. Paste anchored object next to text inside in table cell.
    3. Anchored object acts as normal as if pasted in a normal paragraph.
    4. InDesign stalls and crashes; have to force quit to close.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign crashes on Hyperlink panel open

Latest version of InDesign 2018.

Process video:
    https://cl.ly/0y1V3z190L0O

I'm trying to add hyperlink to a text but it leads to a program crash. This happens only for 3 close lines of text in a one single file. The file has been sent to mr. Sushil's email.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. merging cells in a table

I am trying to create a 9x12 horizontal postcard with 4 vertical columns and 5 horizontal rows. Then I merge cells to create different size ad boxes. By the time I get to the last merge, it pulls everything up and looks like it is adding another row at the bottom. For example: merge the whole bottom row into one ad box; merge the right column 4 boxes into one ad box; merge the left 3 boxes beginning from the top into one ad box; merge the center 6 boxes into one large ad box. So, there should be a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. text wrap detect edges

ID 13.1 x64, Win 7, AI 22.1 64 bit
    Text wrap w/detect edges may not detect text in AI file, may not detect shapes well. Have AI file with graphic and text placed in anchored frame in ID doc. If set to wrap around shape, detect edges, text in ID doc runs through text in AI graphic. Also (noted in in forums ) text may not wrap around white or nearly white shapes in AI graphic.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Cmd/Ctrl+Backspace and Cmd/Ctrl+Delete bugs

Hi,

Cmd/Ctrl+Backspace and Cmd/Ctrl+Delete bugs act erratically in latest InCopy (13.1) on Mac and Windows: contrary to all other apps and InDesign Story Editor, they delete words from seemingly random side of the cursor.

See https://forums.adobe.com/message/10524905

Actual result: Cmd+Del often deletes from left hand side, Cmd+Backspace often deletes from right hand side of the cursor.

Expected result: Cmd/Ctrl+Del always deletes the word to the right of the cursor; Cmd/Ctrl+Backspace always deletes a word from to the left of the cursor.

Regards
    m.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. InDesign performance issue: Slow on documents present on server

it's not an idea, but a problem. Indesign creates problems on the network and is very slow with server documents, as never before. The media told me to work locally, but I ask Adobe to solve the problem. Windows 10 64 bit - Intel processor 32 GB of ram.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Image color settings get lost when duplicating image or when data merging

If a placed image has an icc-profile different from the documents' profile, that profile assigment will get lost when the image is being duplicated. The same thing is going to happen if the document is being data merged for variable data printing. The image will have a wrong profile assignment in the additional records when creating the merged document. Only the first record will be properly printed, the duplicates won't. Test files attached.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. ICML export doesn't include <HyperlinkPageDestination> elements

(Affects all versions of InDesign that support ICML export)

Export the story in the attached document to ICML. Delete the story in InDesign and then re-import the ICML. The Hyperlinks panel shows "The referenced paragraph or text anchor is missing".

This is only a problem for the ICML export of internal links. Hyperlinks to pages in external documents are exported correctly. The information is also correctly stored when saved to IDML.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. InDesign False Ligatures Bug

InDesign sometimes, seemingly randomly, replaces pairs such as hn, il, io, sy, ek, etc. with completely wrong glyph, such as accented Y, U, etc., when regular Ligature setting is applied. This has been a problem since CS5 and we recently had it occur in CC2015, so it is still there. Affected fonts have been many over the years, including licensed Adobe fonts. Fonts can be Open Type or PostScript. Language setting can be English US, UK, or seemingly anything else. The only thing that works to avoid it is to turn off Ligatures which is generally unacceptable, so the only…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. InDesign crashes while working with Hyperlink

For some reason there is 1 page number on my TOC that keeps making Indesign crash when I try applying a hyperlink to it. Everything else hyperlinked just fine. Also, I tried to delete the text so I could maybe retype the number but that also makes my application crash.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Links panel sorting

InDesign CC 2018, 13.1 (mac os 10.13.4)

panels: links: panel options: show column: Scale.

Bug:
    The sorting function for "Scale" in links panel doesn't work properly.
    If I sort by scaling percentages, they list incorrectly.

Example: 187 % comes between 21 % and 15 %.
    That means it sorts them alphabetically as digits, but should sort them as numbers. Please fix.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. idml file with frontend xml crashes with lower version indesign

when ever we try to make idml files with frontend xml, which required to open lower version of indesign file, it get crashes. Now i got in a conclusion idml files with frontend xml does not work... can you fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Videos and buttons get cut in half when placed over a 2 page spread in Publish online and Fixed layout EPUB

When a video or button is placed across two pages on a spread, both gets cut in half, working separately on different pages. So, if video is played in Publish Online document or Fixed Layout EPUB, only half part is played.
    Similarly with buttons, only half button gets clicked.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Hex Value in Swatch Dialog Does Not Update

InDesign 13.1 Create a new RGB or edit an existing RGB swatch. Note the Hex value in the dialog box. Switch to a different color mode and change the color values. Switch back to RGB mode. The Hex value does not update to match the new color values.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Dictionary Hyphenation in Uppercase ignored (German)

Custom hyphenation settings are ignored for uppercase words in user dictionary (at least in german).

----

Example:
    dictionary entry: "kro~~~nach" (select field "case-sensitive" not set)

-----

Expected behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kro-
    nach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

----

Actual behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kron-
    ach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

----

Workaround:

Enabling "Case-sensitive" and adding lowercase and uppercase version leads to correct hyphenation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. stuck on type tool

I'm stuck on the Type tool. It won't let me select or change my tools at all. I've had to shut down and restart three times now. Whenever I get into the type tool, it stays and I can't get out or click anywhere else. Keyboard shortcuts do not work

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Drag-duplicating an object with Alt key pressed does not duplicate, if moving on a separate page

If I try to duplicate an object to another page, across the pasteboard border, by holding the Alt key and dragging with mouse, the object only moves there. If I want to duplicate an object to another page, I have to first duplicate it on the same page and then move it to another page.

However, as that is unintuitive, I still constantly try to duplicate an object across the page border, leading me to undo back after I find out the object didn't actually duplicate, but instead I have moved the original object (and oftentimes edited it a lot…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this bug. This behavior is present for a long time now.

However, pressing alt key first and then dragging the frame across spreads does resolve the issue for me.
    Can you please check the same?

-Aman

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base