Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

41 results found

1. InDesign 17.0 crashes on launch after removing a previously installed CEP Extension

Steps to reproduce in InDesign 17.0:

1. Install a CEP extension folder manually to ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions
    2. Launch then quit InDesign
    3. Delete CEP extension folder installed in step 1
    4. Launch InDesign, it will crash when "Starting up panels"

As a workaround deleting the following cache folder allows InDesign to launch again.
    ~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 17.0

This was not an issue in ID 16.4

InDesign 17.0
    Intel Mac running macOS 11.6.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2022(v17.0.1.105). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. voice dictation

Macos Big sur 11.1: when using voice dictation in combination with Indesign, in a new simple document, nothing else open in ID: when starting voice dictation , text cursor blinking and already inputting text, after a few words ID crashes. Tried it 3 times, ID crashes each time.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. InDesign 2021 keeps crashing

InDesign has crashed about 5 times since updating the other day. My team is also having the same problem. Mac and PC.

55 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. InDesign crashes every time after standby

InDesign crashes every time when my MacBook Pro is in standby.

OS X 10.15.6
    MacBook Pro 16

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Crash Adobe InDesign CC v15.02-v15.1

It freezes when openning the program (Starting up Service Registry...) Adobe InDesign CC v15.02-15.1 (Installed Language: English International)

(But Adobe Creative Cloud for Teams: Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge and Acrobat DC are fine.)

My Computer:

PC Dell Inspiron 5680
    Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz.
    HDD: 256GB SSD
    RAM: 16GB
    Display card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070
    Display resolution: 1920x1080 Refresh rate: 60Hz.
    Monitor: Dell S2718H/HX

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Crashes when font file is moved *every single time*

This will crash InDesign (and Illustrator and Photoshop) every single time without fail, all cc 2020 apps I've tested, specifically:

InDesign 15.0.2, Illustrator 24.1, Photoshop 21.1.2

I'm using OSX 10.15.3 Catalina

Try this:

–add a font to ~user/Library/Fonts/MyFontFolderName/ to install. Works with any font, but for example try Adobe's own wonderfully designed Source Serif Pro
    –make a new document in InDesign, set some text in that font, eg: Source Serif Pro-Regular, save document (or don't save, same result)
    –move the font file, eg: SourceSerifPro-Regular.otf to a sub folder, eg: ~user/Library/Fonts/MyFontFolderName/AnotherFolder/
    –app will crash EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Once again, this happens…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

This has been fixed in latest version of InDesign. Please update your application from Creative Cloud Desktop.

Thanks

7. InDesign 2020 hangs, had to Force Quit

Closed a document, leaving InDesign open with no documents open, then tried to quit InDesign. No response. After about a minute, had to Force Quit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

As confirmed by the customer that upgrading to latest version InDesign CC 15.0.2 the issue is resolved.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

8. InDesign freezes while Adding New/Editing Cross-References

1. InDesign 13.1 x64 2a. Select the text, go to Insert Cross References either via Type > Hyperlinks & Cross References or via the Cross References Panel. 2b. Select text that already has a cross reference, go to Cross-Reference Options either via Type > Hyperlinks and Cross References of the Cross References panel.
    2. The New Cross-Reference or Edit Cross-Reference dialog box should open and function.
    3. InDesign freezes and has to be force quit. I've waited as long as 20 minutes for the system to function properly before having to force it to quit.
    6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. InDesign crashes on launch in "PlugPlugOwl.dll"

InDesign 2019 doesn't open after the first loading box on startup. I downloaded 2018, 2017 and 2015. 2015 is the only one that works at the moment but the others have the same issue.
    My computers processor is Intel Pentium 1.5 GHz
    I've attached the crash report.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit: This thread addresses the specific case of crash on launch due to issues with PlugPlugOwl.dll.
    If you are facing crash on launch please reach out to us on sharewithid@adobe.com
    Closing this thread.

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

10. Crash when searching for column break

Indesign 2018 crashes when searching for column break (~M) – with Find/Change dialog box or via script. It works for me with CC 2017. Not yet tested with CC2019.

The document with 500 pages was newly created with CC2018. It was tested with several computers, always with the same result.

Example document can be downloaded here: https://adobe.ly/2SGVPsy.

Happens in CS6, CC 2019 as well.

Find/Change for Column Break in GREP tab of Find/Change crashes InDesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-Aman

11. Crash on using Align Distribute option

Help!! I used to be able to get the page tool, highlight multiple pages across a spread in the pages palette, then set the space between pages in the toolbar and use the distribute button to get even spacing between pages. Since updating to InDesign 2019 (v14.0.1), the “use spacing” measurement field never completely shows in the info bar, and every time I hit the “distribute horizontal” button, InDesign IMMEDIATELY crashes. I am using MacOS 10.13.6. Please help, I use this feature A LOT.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

12. CC 2019 Repeated Crashing when switching to the text tool from the move tool

Experiencing repeated crashes when selecting the Text tool. Does not happen every time, but has happened at least 5 times in the last 10 minutes. Windows 10, newest version of CC2019.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

13. InDesign 2019 Fails to open properly and freezes.

I recently updated to InDesign 2019 and had no problem using it last week.
    Today it is not opening properly, taking around 10 minutes to open a file, then freezes the second I try to do anything in a text box.

It has occurred with every file I've tried, multiple times.
    I have also tried ending all InDesign processes and restarting my computer.

Not sure if anyone else has come across this issue?

InDesign CC 2019: v 14.0
    Windows 10: v 1803

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

14. InDesign 14.0. freezes after opening

After opening InDesign 14.0 I can open project. But as soon a leave first running screen with InDesign, work on 2nd Screen or even just opening explorer or browse in the internet, InDesign 14.0 is freezing. I cannot even close it. I have to restart the system. In fact I cannot work with it. I have to run 13.1 (2018) to work with ID.
    I am working with Desktop PC and Win10

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

15. ID crashes when pasting text

ID becomes very unstable if you copy and paste text from one text box to
    another that contains a paragraph style with a nested line format.
    If it doesn‘t crash immediately, move around the cursor with the arrow keys and try to paste text again.
    Please find attached a document to reproduce this bug

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

16. crash when deleting line

InDesign crashes on selecting a specific line in TOC

Hi! When trying to delete some lines in the TOC, some lines cause crashes. For one line it seems impossible to delete it. When selecting the line or the space the cursor freezes within seconds and a crash report appears.
    On reopening the file an error message appears, though the file can be opened.
    Attached are two screenshots and the file.
    Regards,
    Peter

version 13.1x64

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Anchored object in table cell

1. InDesign version 13.1
    2. Paste anchored object next to text inside in table cell.
    3. Anchored object acts as normal as if pasted in a normal paragraph.
    4. InDesign stalls and crashes; have to force quit to close.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

18. 13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know if the issue is resolved for you in InDesign 14.0.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

19. Indesign keeps crashing whatever i do I have cleared preferences and deleted recovery files please help

Indesign keeps crashing whatever i do I have cleared preferences and deleted recovery files please help

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

20. InDesign 13.1 Crash when show "Margins and Columns" Dialog and click "OK"

1. Version InDesign 13.1
      Testing Windows 10(1709) and macos 10.13.4, same results

2. Steps
      1 Execute InDesign 13.1
      2 Show "Margins and Columns" Dialog (Application Default)
      3 Click "OK" button

3. Expected result
      Crash InDesign

4. Actual result
      Don't crash

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base