Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Opened files become modified (unsaved asterisk appears) without any modification

I'm working with file A, but I keep open the B and C files (either I didn't close those or I'm copying content from those), after some time B and C becomes modified (unsaved, the asterisk after the name appears). The Edit→Undo does not show any alteration (it's grayed).

May it be the problem that A, B and C belongs to a Book?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. gpu

system: mac-osx-10.12.6 (sierra)
    software: indesign-cs6 ver 8.0
    software: indesign-cc(2018) ver 13.0.0

when in gpu-preview mode … center-line 'node' does not appear. when in cpu-preview mode … center-line 'node' does appear. the center-line 'node' has appeared in cs-versions and previous versions … and disappeared in the cc-versions.

i have outlined the steps, and included screen-caps, to reproduce the issue within my post to adobe-forums:
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2492437

further info about my environment:
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac18,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Group in Old Layer -> Ungroup in New Layer = Error

I like to layer different styles of content. I'll have a background layer for images, etc., that I want to not touch later so I can lock/unlock while I work with my content over the top of it. Sometimes, I accidentally am in the background layer and create content that needs to be moved to another layer. I would love for a feature like Illustrator that allows me to highlight an object or group of objects, click an opposing layer, and then right-click > arrange > move to selected layer.

Also, there is a slight bug I've found, but it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There is an option in the Layers panel flyout menu called “Ungroup Remembers Layers”. This is ON by default. That’s why when you ungroup, the objects go back to the layers to which they belonged prior to the grouping. You can uncheck this option if you want to have the objects get ungrouped on the same layer as the group.

5. Dragging guides from ruler restricts placement to only to three decimal points

When dragging a guide from the rulers, ID only allows placement to three decimal points. Most often I find the need for the full four decimal points -- like trying to match the baseline of a line of type. So I have to drop the guide imprecisely, then adjust using the control panel. Can you please fix this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Copy/Paste of image/graphic blocks very slow

Adobe InDesign CC 13.1 on Sierra
    The copy and paste of graphic blocks in the same doc is very slow. When there is not a large number of links, it is pretty ok BUT when adding a lot of new picture links, the wheel keeps turning during ca. 10/15 seconds after each copy and paste of a graphic block also.

The temporary solution is to change the name of the image folder so to disable the dynamic links to pictures. But not ideal.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. The Recent file view does not support files in apple iCloud (Optimize Mac Storage)

I am unable to open files that are automatically moved to iCloud using the Optimise Mac Storage default feature. I have to manually reload them to the local computer and then restart Indesign. Adobe CC - 2018 Indesign 13.1

It seems really lame that Adobe doesn't keep up with Mac OS developments. Every designer that I know who uses Adobe CC has a Mac. Every time Apple changes something it takes Adobe a year to catch up. This really hurts my workflow and leaves me with a poor opinion of Adobe.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. cannot copy/paste endnotes into new doc

We cannot copy endnotes from one Indesign file to another without losing the numbers and getting [?] instead. Also, the endnotes insist on being on a new page; we cannot bring them up to be under the text

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. InDesign application does not render correctly upon program launch in Windows 10

When launching InDesign in Windows 10, the window renders with missing icons, input boxes (eg: coordinates and size boxes) and backgrounds. When a new document is opened and it launches, random graphics from the document also are displayed.

Please see attached image for example. I am able to reproduce. Each time, the window must be moved or hovered over by mouse to fix.

This has been going on since upgrading from CS6 to CC from CC 2017 to CC 2018 (current) in Windows 10. Please let me know if you require details of my hardware or software specifications.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Open Recent numbering goes from 1 to 9, then 0 and then repeats 1 to 9, 0.

When selecting File > Open Recent, and there are more than 9 items (I have it set to 20), the items are listed numerically from 1 to 9 and then 0. Then it repeats 1-9, 0. One would expect 1-9, 10, 11, 12, 13, etc.

Obviously not a showstopper, but just something to fix.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. locked into program

While working in InDesign, I have to right click anywhere in the window to be able to access anything else on my computer. It's like it doesn't want me working in any other program except InDesign so it's trapping me. This has been a problem since pretty much the first day I started using creative cloud. There are 6 other people in my office that have never had this problem and we all use the same version of InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fullscreen Application Frame Under Menu Bar

When opening the program, occasionally the top bar of the interface is under the menu bar. Being as that also contains the portion of the interface used for moving the whole window, I must change my System Settings to hide the menu bar to move it back down. This also happens in a couple other CC programs as well.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. InDesign CC UI scaling problem on multiple monitors with different resolutions

InDesign Version: Adobe InDesign CC 13.1 x64
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro build 1709.
    Monitors: Portrait orientated Dell U2415 24 inch (1200x1920) with 100% windows scale option and Landscape orientated Dell UP3216Q (3840x2160) with 150% (Recommended) scale.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    1. Open InDesign CC on the 32 inch monitor
    2. Move all or some of the panels to the 24 inch monitor

Expected result:
    Panels in the 24 inch monitor should adapt to the resolution of the monitor the same way Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC does – crisp and nice.

Actual result:
    Panels don't adapt to monitor's…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. find/change missing from menu (PC)

I am using Adobe inDesign CC 2018 on a PC and since the most recent update (March 2018), I have lost the Find/Change option from the Edit menu. I have searched all over in case it was moved somewhere else, and also tried different workspaces, to no avail. Old document, new, it doesn't make a difference. Where did this go? I use it all the time. :( The keyboard shortcuts related to Find/Change don't work either. (Spellcheck isn't working correctly either--I posted a separate bug report about that. Are these related issues?)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Datamerge Slow

The datamerge feature is unacceptable. I am creating about 100 nametags for a small event, and am merging data from a Tab Delimited Text file (CSV files DO NOT work apparently). I even replaced the 3x4 nametag graphics (.ai) with a frame to minimize graphics usage. I am only including first and last names, and it can’t even merge that!!! Any suggestions or is this feature just complete garbage?

I’m on a late 2014 15” MB Pro with NVIDIA graphics card, running High Sierra with APFS.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Separations Preview

Like previous versions of InDesign CC the color separations preview still does not work correctly.

When user tries to view separations by turning a color separation off, or toggling back and forth between colors, the visible page in the document goes completely haywire - scattering elements and superimposing images from other nearby pages. See attached screenshots of the issue.

This has been an issue for awhile and I am dismayed it still has not been addressed as it is a very useful function in the printing industry. Since the launch of CC I have had to check my separations in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. finding font instance

Using the Find Font menu utility, I highlight the missing font then click Find Next, which many times does not work even if there are many instances of the font. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Very frustrating.

IDCS13.0.1, mac

and

THIS IS NOT AN IDEA -- it is a BUG ... try saying "BUG". Now write it out. See, it's hot so hard, is it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Numbering and section options

If you have multiple types of numbering options in one document, (say using Roman for your intro pages, and then convert to regular numbers for the main document) you can't change them even though the option is not grayed out in the Numbering and Sections Options dialogue box. If you click on it, it just reverts back to what the document started as and won't select that other numbering option.

Exact same document, and I (on 13.1) cannot change it, but my co-worker who has 13.0.1 can.

Adobe INDD CC 13.1

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Indesign files are getting massive when saved - why?

With each new version - InDesign files are becoming more and more bloated. I'm fed up with more and more features being added when the basics aren't right - some of us have work to do and don't have time to trash prefs every five minutes and then wait 10 minutes for a 3+Gig file to open which in earlier versions would have been less than 500megs! Please address this!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base