Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. [Indesign CS6-CC 2018][BUG] Wrong objects in array after moving page item to layer using Javascript

When running a script to process page items stored in a custom array and after moving a page item to another layer, the array contents changes. Objects are removed and other objects which where not put in the array are suddenly located inside the array.

See also: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2438907

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign Shortcuts set to retro QuarkXPress Shortcuts not working after High Sierra update

Edit/Keyboard Shortcuts/Set to [Shortcuts for QuarkXPress 4.0]

InDesign CC shortcuts set to retro Quark shortcuts not working after updating to High Sierra 10.13.2

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Story Editor not close during export

Impossible to close the story editor dialog when a backgroud task is active.
    Indesign returns an error like this: "Impossible to close indesign when a backgroud task is active"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. images pixelated when rotated

When I place an image into InDesign it imports high res, but when the image is rotated, it becomes severely pixelated. Even when the image rotation is a small degree - just a few degrees even. The image preview becomes distorted severly and changes distortion with every degree of rotation. I should mention that I am a professional graphic designer with over 20 years of experience so I have tried all of the obvious fixes - switched view to "overprint preview", set display performance to "High Quality", deleted preferences.. I have done everything imaginable. Running a machine with 3 GB…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Importing files - file sort is off

When importing a group of files InDesign used to sort them alphabetically so that when you place them they are in order. This is no longer the case...it seems to place the files in a random order. This is a task I do often and not having this feature adds A LOT of work to my workflow. Please fix this asap.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. gpu performance not working

This literally just started happening today. I have not installed ANY new anything.
    I'm running a new Macbook Pro (sept 2017), with 16g RAM, 2 TB SDD (with plenty of room on it) Graphics processor is Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, running High Sierra 10.13.1.
    Running latest version of InDesign CC 2018 build 13.0.1
    As of about an hour ago, I can no longer use the animated zoom or GPU performance. Everything on the screen disappears and you can see the rulers moving as I try to zoom in/out or try to scroll pages.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

Are you facing this issue for all the document. If yes, can you please send us one of your sample document for analysis. This will help us in isolating the actual root cause.
    If issue is specific to some documents then please share these documents for analysis.

You can send us your packaged document with assets to “sharewithID@adobe.com” email address.

8. clicking when I don't want it it

Very jittery, hyperactive indesign. This is happening in Indesign and Illustrator for me.
    Even though I'm only clicking once, Indesign and illustrator will register 2 or 3+ clicks. This happens when I'm changing my point size, when I'm drawing anchor points, moving and image box, or alt-clicking to copy an item. The program will register numerous click even if I'm holding it down and ll get 5 text boxes when I was only trying to copy one.
    I am a windows user.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved For the User  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Control bar disappears from view when switching applications in cc 2018

When I switch from an application back to InDesign cc 2018 the control bar/panel will sometimes disappear. The only way I can get it back is to change workspace to "Essentials" and then return it to my custom workspace. This did not happen with InDesign cc 2017.

My specs are as follows:
    OS 10.11.6 (15G1510)
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    4 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. BUG - Paste in Place not pasting correctly with double page spread

Latest version (2018) does not correctly locate objects when using the 'paste in place' function.

Open a double page spread document. Select item from left page spread and paste in place on another spread in same document - locates incorrectly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. high cpu usage indesign

I am periodically experiencing high CPU usage with InDesign 13.0 x64 on Windows 10. The CPU remains high even while not actively using InDesign and doesn't stop until I quit and relaunch the application. This issue only started happening within the past few weeks, probably after the most recent update.

I'm attaching a screenshot from the Task Manager showing 50% CPU consumption. Please note that my laptop is quad-core. That means InDesign is fully consuming 2 CPUs (4 threads) continuously.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Object Display Performance

With an object selected, selecting Object/Display Peroformance/ no matter what setting, nothing happens since the 2018 update. It only works if I use the option in the view menu for the entire document or go to preferences and change the default for Typical to high

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Page Tab bug

The deletion of pages in the "pages tab" works only by moving these pages on the trash icon. Selecting pages and then clicking on the trash icon do not work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. InDesign holds mouse focus

When using the InDesign CC 2018 (and previously 2017), ID holds the mouse "focus" and doesn't allow me to click in other open windows/programs. I have to right-click, left-click multiple times in another open window before mouse control is released by InDesign. There is no specific time frame after it happens - it can be using program after 5 minutes or 60 minutes.

I had my machine wiped last week and a fresh install of everything (OS, CC programs, Office suite, etc.), so uninstall/reinstall hasn't fixed the issue.

Running Window 8.1 on a docked Microsoft Surface attached to two external…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Buttons and Forms

I am using InDesign CC (13.0) on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 using a MacBook Pro13 in, mid-2012.

When The Buttons and Forms panel is docked with the other panels, it will usually refuse to expand. There does not seem to be a set pattern to it, but it seems more likely to expand correctly when working with TextFields than when working with Radio Buttons, Check Boxes, or Combo Boxes. I have seen it work correctly when working with a Text Field, then when I select a Radio Button, the Buttons and Forms panel will momentarily populate with the expected content…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. All External Links (Bug Report, Tutorial, InDesign Help, etc..) Fail

Links from Help menu that open browser cause a Safari popunder, Indesign refresh, and no link being loaded in Safari.
    InDesign 13.0
    macOS High Sierra 10.13

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. OSX 10.11.6 : javascript error 55

At the opening of the application, a window opens like in InDesign 2015 (not in the latest version 2017)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base