1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Shorthand Styles Panel

If someone doesn’t want to have to type the words 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑛𝑘 𝑦𝑜𝑢 over and over, they simply click 𝐄𝐝𝐢𝐭 > 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬 > 𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐨𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭 > 𝐀𝐝𝐝:

𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐝: ty
    𝐂𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧: thank you

That is the typical way users do it. If Adobe can make a new panel called 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐭𝐲𝐥𝐞𝐬 that would be helpful. It would function almost like 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐭𝐲𝐥𝐞𝐬 but be it’s own separate entity:
    1. Select the words 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑛𝑘 𝑦𝑜𝑢 with your 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐫 (or you can select as many words as you want)
    2. Click 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐭𝐲𝐥𝐞𝐬
    3. Then, click 𝐂𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐬𝐭𝐲𝐥𝐞
    4. 𝐒𝐭𝐲𝐥𝐞 𝐍𝐚𝐦𝐞: Compliments
    5.…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to scroll/move on page while style options window is open

In earlier versions of InDesign this was possible. Now I can only zoom in and out. While editing my styles I want to be able to still zoom AND scroll/move on the pages in order to see the changes where the take effect.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow variables to be used within styles

It would be great to have a more flexible method of configuring styles; the purpose being to cut down on the number of styles with only minor differences between them.

We use page templates where the layout is pretty much the same, apart from minor differences / colours. But we have to define a complete set of styles for all colour variations, greatly increasing the complexity.

However, if you can enable any setting to be stored as a variable, this could reduce the number of styles in a document by 90%. For example:

A set of master styles for the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Creation of Table of Contents — Adjustable size of the interface window (width and height)

Creation of Table of Contents — Adjustable interface window (width and height)

When working in huge and very complex documents — with dozens and dozens of paragraph styles and very complex table of contents —, the limitations of the interface window are rather annoying. The window cannot namely be expanded to have a better view of the selected styles.

The number of visible styles is namely limited to four (see screenshot). And the width cannot be adjusted either.

It would thus be a considerable improvement if the window size could be customized in order to have a much better view…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Find all instances of a Paragraph Style

Find all instances of a Paragraph Style in a document via the Paragraph Styles panel. Like you can see with Links, be able to view the pages that the styles exist on and jump to these pages by clicking on the page number in the panel or be able to navigate through them with up and down arrows

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. SVGs / AIs and Graphics as bullet points

It would be nice if paragraphs styles would allow for SVGs and / or Graphics to be used as "custom bulletpoints".

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make Add to CC Library a preference that must be selected

I don't want to use CC Libraries. That's my preference. I understand it could be helpful to some people, but right now I don't want to use this. Yet I keep having to open three different windows to deselect it and every time Indesign crashes (several times a week lately) I have to go through the task again.

Why can't we make it a global preference? Click you save to CC Libraries, unclick to not save.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add a feature that allows you to predefine paragraph style spacing based on which style comes before or after it

I have set up some paragraph styles in my InDesign document that have space-before and space-after set on them. Some of the styles are for headers. When the headers precede a regular paragraph, I want the space to be there, but when they precede another header, I want there to be less space. In web development, I can write rules in CSS that say things like this:

p { margin-top:10px; }
    h2 + p { margin-top:5px }

I am able to make the margin-top narrower on a <p> tag that is immediately preceded by an <h2> tag, but otherwise, it's…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. shadow

Adjusting the shadow size so that the shadow can be smaller than the actual object. (As it is possible with CSS box-shadow, for example)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. I'd like to see opacity in the options for Paragraph Shade

Next to Tint I naturally looked for opacity, my thought was if I can change tint I can change opacity as well. Thanks.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. add effects to paragraph shading/frame

This CC 2018 Update is fantastic!

1. The only thing I am missing is the lack of possibility to add effects like shadows, on paragraph shadings and frames.

2. This would be extremely helpful for a heavy-graphical CI, where text - spanning over more than one column or frame - must be underlaid with shadowed frames. Actually, when page breaks are to be corrected, I have to adjust those background frames manually, which is quite time-consuming.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Drop down list of Styles in the Paragraph Style Options dialog box

The Paragraph Style Options dialog box should have a drop down list of Style names to enable access to other Style without having to go back

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Multi Level Running Headers with Numbering

Add the ability to have multiple running headers. Specifically for multi-level lists that include numbering. Currently you can only select one paragraph style and it doesn't include numbering. It would be great to be able to create breadcrumbs for multi-level lists so you can show which section and subsection you're in INCLUDING NUMBERING. Currently the running header drops the numbering which is annoying.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow users to create a shortcut for a paragraph style including "apply next style"

You can add a shortcut to each paragraph style. If you apply it to several paragraphs they will all be in this style although you may have insert a "next style" to apply.
    So it would be great to have the opportunity for 2 shortcuts:
    – the way it's used to be
    – for applying the style plus next style

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Select All by paragraph style

I'd love to be able to select all text in the document by paragraph style. So, select all text with "Heading 1" paragraph style. And then I could copy and paste it into a different document. It would help for revising documents, so I can see the topics all together and reorder the outline of names.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Problem with Paragraph Borders across the page (with same paragraph style)

In the "Paragraph Borders" we need an option that allows you to determine whether or not to leave the "paragraph border" at the bottom of the page. When using the same paragraph style (to simulate a table) often the client requires that the border at the bottom (or top) of the page are not visible, to indicate continuity (as happens now in the case in which the same paragraph is divided between the two pages).

Operating system: "catalina 10.15.1".
    InDesign: version 15.0.1.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Video - Object Style

Today I cannot add an object style to a video. I'm using object style to easy redefine layout. If I create a content holder I can define its size and location with object style. Once I add a video into the content holder, the object styles in the object style pane are disabled/grey.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. ‘nth of type’ conditions for paragraph styles

In CSS, we can use an nth-of-type() selector to define behaviour for the nth instance of a style. For example, we can make all paragraphs have a first line indent, but use nth-of-type(1) to remove the indent from the first paragraph on the page. This feature also supports (odd) and (even) values for n.

This feature would be extremely useful in Indesign for a range of use cases. Importantly, it would eliminate the need for several styles when typesetting multiple-paragraph block quotes, interview dialogue (indenting/outdenting), drop caps on chapter openings, etc.

For full flexibility, I imagine the feature would offer…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. External Styles / Style Libraries to push Style updates dynamically and automatically to all documents.

Please develop some kind of External Style file format, that can be applied locally, and hopefully, via the cloud. But at least locally, PLEASE.

It is a crime that InDesign currently has NO WAY whatsoever to keep multiple documents styles synced. I run into this deeply frustrating problem all the time.

Currently, If I create a template file with some styles, and use that to create documents, and then If I update or refine paragraph styles, character styles, table styles, etc — there is no way for me to easily carry over those same styles to all other documents that…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add to TOC checkbox for Paragraph Style Options window

While working on a project with lots of styles it will be hard to decide all the styles on TOC window. It will be useful to select TOC styles on Paragraph Style Options window.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base