1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. GREP: Add character style and paragraph style codes

Add GREP match code in Search/Replace for specific styles with something like:
    (CharacterStyle:[StyleName])

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Add to CC Library a preference that must be selected

I don't want to use CC Libraries. That's my preference. I understand it could be helpful to some people, but right now I don't want to use this. Yet I keep having to open three different windows to deselect it and every time Indesign crashes (several times a week lately) I have to go through the task again.

Why can't we make it a global preference? Click you save to CC Libraries, unclick to not save.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add an option to the paragraph styles panel to view paragraphs sorted by the "based on" property.

Add an option to the paragraph styles panel to view paragraphs sorted by the "based on" property.

I'm thinking something visually like the way illustrator displays groups and groups within groups, on the layer panel.

This will save a great deal of time opening and closing paragraph style panels to find out which styles are based on others before you make an edit to one of them. Instead you will be able to near instantly tell which other styles will be affected by your change to one style.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. shadow

Adjusting the shadow size so that the shadow can be smaller than the actual object. (As it is possible with CSS box-shadow, for example)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow default stroke alignment to be "Inside" even if default stroke is zero

I want to set the default stroke weight to Zero and the alignment to Inside. You can't do this. If you set default weight to Zero the default alignment setting is grayed out. So every time I have to add a stroke to a box I have to change the stroke alignment or it increases the size of the box. (If the default stroke weight is anything other than zero you CAN set the default alignment. Setting the alignment and then changing the stroke back to zero doesn't work. The default of Center returns.)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Variables in formatting

Instead of using absolute values in formatting dialogues, let us define and use variables.

I often work in long documents and have dozens of styles. Using the leading for my body copy as a reference many other formatting options will use the same value or fractions or multiples of that value. Body copy might use 14 point leading with 7 points of space between paragraphs. Subheads might have an extra 7 points above. Main heads might use 21 point or 28 point leading. Bullets might use 14 points for the indent. If I need to change my leading I need…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Drop down list of Styles in the Paragraph Style Options dialog box

The Paragraph Style Options dialog box should have a drop down list of Style names to enable access to other Style without having to go back

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make spellcheck apply to paragraph styles

It would be super useful to be able to run spellcheck only on certain paragraph styles. I run a directory that includes hundreds of names that get flagged, and if i I could run spellcheck just on body copy + headline paragraph styles, it would save me hours each month.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Store the state of a style group, open or closed, when saving a document

Current state:
    If I open a style group in a styles panel, save, close and reopen the document all style groups are closed by default.

Feature modification request:
    Save the state of a style group, open or closed, when saving a document.

This should be done to all panels that allow for style groups.

Regards,
    Uwe Laubender
    ( ACP )

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Separate the 'Merge Consecutive Borders and Shading' option into two

Currently in InDesign CC2019, if you have paragraph styles with the same 'Paragraph Border' and 'Paragraph Shading' settings, these will merge with consecutive paragraphs if the appropriately-named 'Merge Consecutive Borders and Shading with same Settings' options is set.

But what if you want to have consecutive paragraphs with the same border, but different shading, or vice versa? No options allow this.

I suggest that the 'Merge Consecutive Borders and Shading with same Settings' option is split into two; 'Merge Consecutive Borders with same Settings' under 'Paragraph Border', and 'Merge Consecutive Shading with same Settings' under 'Paragraph Shading'.

Having the two…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Synchronize styles across book documents should REMOVE styles as well as updating and adding them.

Synchronize styles across book documents should REMOVE styles as well as updating and adding them. For all styles: object as well as text.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SVGs / AIs and Graphics as bullet points

It would be nice if paragraphs styles would allow for SVGs and / or Graphics to be used as "custom bulletpoints".

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. STYLE support for run-in (aka in-line) headings

Currently there is no Style setting that can produce a run-in heading. This is a very widely used style in documents using more than 2-3 heading levels, and I have needed it for years now.

NOTE: Using Nested Styles does not fulfill the need for run-in headings. Using a nested style is a work-around based on character styles, and this technique does not allow a heading to be "promoted" or redesigned!

A quick solution:

Create a new Style setting checkbox to be used by the run-in heading style: "Run-in". When checked, the paragraph is given 0 leading, and its total…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Style counters

I would find very helpful to have a counter near any style (in particular for tables, but can work with other styles too) that enlights the number of items to whom is assigned the style and add a function, similar to the error panel, in which one can scroll to the elements, double clicking, and be brought to the item itself.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add a feature that allows you to predefine paragraph style spacing based on which style comes before or after it

I have set up some paragraph styles in my InDesign document that have space-before and space-after set on them. Some of the styles are for headers. When the headers precede a regular paragraph, I want the space to be there, but when they precede another header, I want there to be less space. In web development, I can write rules in CSS that say things like this:

p { margin-top:10px; }
    h2 + p { margin-top:5px }

I am able to make the margin-top narrower on a <p> tag that is immediately preceded by an <h2> tag, but otherwise, it's…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Consistent arrowhead styles

It would be helpful to have the same arrowhead options available for InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Sometimes I need to quickly create a legend in InDesign to match a diagram create in Illustrator, but the options for arrowhead styles are limited/different.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. quick key for paragraph styles

I cannot create a quick key to apply a paragraph style. I do not have a numbers keyboard on my mac. I know I used to be able to do this before. Its a real time saver... please help!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow set Style Override Highlighter as red stroke instead of blue background color so that it does not obscure style highlighting

Style Override Highlighter's appearance (blue background) conflicts with the still existing feature of highlighting styles with different colors, in order to visually identify what parts of the text use what style, accessible via scripts such as Stylighter (http://www.indiscripts.com/post/2013/11/stylighter-1-4-for-indesign-cs4-cs5-cs6-cc).

Being able to set it back to red stroke over text instead of a background color, as it was before the Style Override Highlighter button was officially added, would allow to see at the same time the style being used (by the color of the background) and whether it had overrides (by the presence of a red stroke). That was…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. I'd like to see opacity in the options for Paragraph Shade

Next to Tint I naturally looked for opacity, my thought was if I can change tint I can change opacity as well. Thanks.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. add effects to paragraph shading/frame

This CC 2018 Update is fantastic!

1. The only thing I am missing is the lack of possibility to add effects like shadows, on paragraph shadings and frames.

2. This would be extremely helpful for a heavy-graphical CI, where text - spanning over more than one column or frame - must be underlaid with shadowed frames. Actually, when page breaks are to be corrected, I have to adjust those background frames manually, which is quite time-consuming.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base