When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add an option to the paragraph styles panel to view paragraphs sorted by the "based on" property.

Add an option to the paragraph styles panel to view paragraphs sorted by the "based on" property.

I'm thinking something visually like the way illustrator displays groups and groups within groups, on the layer panel.

This will save a great deal of time opening and closing paragraph style panels to find out which styles are based on others before you make an edit to one of them. Instead you will be able to near instantly tell which other styles will be affected by your change to one style.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. A check box to Remove Local Formatting in an auto TOC.

You include a checkbox to Remove Forced Line Breaks in the text styles used for the auto TOC so why not one to Remove Local Formatting so the text style can display exactly the way you set it in the TOC styles dialogue. Now one must select all the text and set Character Style to None every time the TOC is updated which is inefficient. Thanks.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Ad the possibility to have Paragraph Style add a break before or after

In many cases, I want a break after or before a Paragraph with a certain style. e.g.: a chapter heading often needs a Page Break before.
    How convenient would it be when this is integrated in a Paragraph Style!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Integrate a Content :before and :after to Styles as it is possible in CSS

In the character and paragraph styles definition: Give us the opportunity of automatically add content before and after the text (give the opportunity to style this additionally with a character style), to which the style is applied. Currently a conent:before is only possible with using a paragraph style a trick (see image, sorry for the German ...).

Working with XML data or other equivalent text sources you can add media related text, that doesn't alter the content. This is quite important, if the content should be exported after production.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make spellcheck apply to paragraph styles

It would be super useful to be able to run spellcheck only on certain paragraph styles. I run a directory that includes hundreds of names that get flagged, and if i I could run spellcheck just on body copy + headline paragraph styles, it would save me hours each month.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Improving Effects and Gradients for Objects

1) Making Effects easier to copy/paste blending options like in Photoshop layers between several objects (similar to pasting blending to several objects)

2) Also, improving precision and granularity of the rather smallish and sensitive gradient feather bar using mouse. When re-applying a gradient, it is difficult to slide existing gradient points without adversely affecting applied gradient to object, sometimes its easier to just restart a new one.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow Custom Cell Padding on Imported Spreadsheets

When importing excel or spreadsheets (.xls), Indesign CC automatically sets the cell padding on top/bottom as 0.0556" (or equivalent). There is currently no way to set default cell padding when Indesign is open without any publications/files open, nor is there an option when importing a document/spreadsheet.

Either allow for imported cell padding to be listed within the 'Show More Options" within the import screen, or allow for a global default cell padding to be entered into Indesign.

When publishing files that pull or link cell data from excel, each time the excel file is updated, it is a VERY manual…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Creation of Table of Contents — Adjustable size of the interface window (width and height)

Creation of Table of Contents — Adjustable interface window (width and height)

When working in huge and very complex documents — with dozens and dozens of paragraph styles and very complex table of contents —, the limitations of the interface window are rather annoying. The window cannot namely be expanded to have a better view of the selected styles.

The number of visible styles is namely limited to four (see screenshot). And the width cannot be adjusted either.

It would thus be a considerable improvement if the window size could be customized in order to have a much better view…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Synchronize styles across book documents should REMOVE styles as well as updating and adding them.

Synchronize styles across book documents should REMOVE styles as well as updating and adding them. For all styles: object as well as text.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. SVGs / AIs and Graphics as bullet points

It would be nice if paragraphs styles would allow for SVGs and / or Graphics to be used as "custom bulletpoints".

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. STYLE support for run-in (aka in-line) headings

Currently there is no Style setting that can produce a run-in heading. This is a very widely used style in documents using more than 2-3 heading levels, and I have needed it for years now.

NOTE: Using Nested Styles does not fulfill the need for run-in headings. Using a nested style is a work-around based on character styles, and this technique does not allow a heading to be "promoted" or redesigned!

A quick solution:

Create a new Style setting checkbox to be used by the run-in heading style: "Run-in". When checked, the paragraph is given 0 leading, and its total…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make Add to CC Library a preference that must be selected

I don't want to use CC Libraries. That's my preference. I understand it could be helpful to some people, but right now I don't want to use this. Yet I keep having to open three different windows to deselect it and every time Indesign crashes (several times a week lately) I have to go through the task again.

Why can't we make it a global preference? Click you save to CC Libraries, unclick to not save.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add a feature that allows you to predefine paragraph style spacing based on which style comes before or after it

I have set up some paragraph styles in my InDesign document that have space-before and space-after set on them. Some of the styles are for headers. When the headers precede a regular paragraph, I want the space to be there, but when they precede another header, I want there to be less space. In web development, I can write rules in CSS that say things like this:

p { margin-top:10px; }
    h2 + p { margin-top:5px }

I am able to make the margin-top narrower on a <p> tag that is immediately preceded by an <h2> tag, but otherwise, it's…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. shadow

Adjusting the shadow size so that the shadow can be smaller than the actual object. (As it is possible with CSS box-shadow, for example)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow default stroke alignment to be "Inside" even if default stroke is zero

I want to set the default stroke weight to Zero and the alignment to Inside. You can't do this. If you set default weight to Zero the default alignment setting is grayed out. So every time I have to add a stroke to a box I have to change the stroke alignment or it increases the size of the box. (If the default stroke weight is anything other than zero you CAN set the default alignment. Setting the alignment and then changing the stroke back to zero doesn't work. The default of Center returns.)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. add effects to paragraph shading/frame

This CC 2018 Update is fantastic!

1. The only thing I am missing is the lack of possibility to add effects like shadows, on paragraph shadings and frames.

2. This would be extremely helpful for a heavy-graphical CI, where text - spanning over more than one column or frame - must be underlaid with shadowed frames. Actually, when page breaks are to be corrected, I have to adjust those background frames manually, which is quite time-consuming.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Variables in formatting

Instead of using absolute values in formatting dialogues, let us define and use variables.

I often work in long documents and have dozens of styles. Using the leading for my body copy as a reference many other formatting options will use the same value or fractions or multiples of that value. Body copy might use 14 point leading with 7 points of space between paragraphs. Subheads might have an extra 7 points above. Main heads might use 21 point or 28 point leading. Bullets might use 14 points for the indent. If I need to change my leading I need…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Drop down list of Styles in the Paragraph Style Options dialog box

The Paragraph Style Options dialog box should have a drop down list of Style names to enable access to other Style without having to go back

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Problem with Paragraph Borders across the page (with same paragraph style)

In the "Paragraph Borders" we need an option that allows you to determine whether or not to leave the "paragraph border" at the bottom of the page. When using the same paragraph style (to simulate a table) often the client requires that the border at the bottom (or top) of the page are not visible, to indicate continuity (as happens now in the case in which the same paragraph is divided between the two pages).

Operating system: "catalina 10.15.1".
    InDesign: version 15.0.1.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. paragraph shading borders align to / away from spine

Add the ability to have paragraph shading and borders align to / away from spine. Also make it possible to have each corner affect individually align in relation to the spine.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base