How can we improve InDesign?

Real table footnotes (different from CC2019)

Since CC2019 the user is able to add footnotes inside a table. Such notes are added at the bottom, of the textbox. This behavior does not fit to many needs of designer how need real table footnotes.

So what is the difference?
Real table footnotes stick to the content of the table.
In this case the note gives some additional information to the table specific content.
Therefore each table should have an own mechanism of numbering that does not mix up with the document footnotes numbering. Additionally the position of table footnotes is most often at the end of the table.

This usecase for table footnote is more often used by me an other InDesign users, then the implemented way.
Attached one example.

Hope we see this feature soon, Klaas

26 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Klaas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Corbeau rouge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this request. I suspect my (in-house) customers are going to insist I continue to “fake” table footnotes, so that they can use a different numbering system – typically a, b, c – and place table footnotes immediately after the table.

• Bevi Chagnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think table footnotes should be in the table footer section of the table so that:
    1) They are part of the table, not the rest of the page content, and
    2) They automatically repeat at the bottom of multi-page tables.

Right now, as folks have said, the table footnotes are separated from the actual table itself.

For accessibility, the footnote <Note> tags would be in the <TFoot> section within the <Table> tag.

• grudgemom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Our documents are 100% done with table footnotes, so the current feature for footnotes doesn't work for us AT ALL!

Feedback and Knowledge Base