2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fold marks in export settings for spreads

Hello,

I work with cover spreads quite a bit....3 facing pages. Back Cover-Spine-Front Cover. The printer I work with, a very large commercial printer, requests fold marks on the spine. They want them the same size/offset as the outer crop marks. When you have a spread and you check "crop marks" in the export settings, InDesign puts marks on the spine that are smaller and offset further away from the trim than the outer marks. They really do no good. I think it would be extremely beneficial if there was a "Fold Mark" option in the export settings for when…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve the time it takes to import to PDF in InDesign 2020

It takes up to 10 (ten) times as long to export to PDF in InDesign 2020 compared to InDesign 2019. These are files linked to graphics, not just text files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Assemble book for printing

I use French InDesign 2020 in Windows 10 environment, mainly for book editing.
    There is an annoying bug when I assemble the book for printing. InDesign asks for a location to assemble the different files, incorporate the fonts, images, etc. It proposes as folder name "Dossier Book name" (Dossier meaning Folder in French). It is not possible to save in an existing folder (created for instance by a former assembly), the programme asking for a non-existing folder. Unfortunately, it is not possible to delete the pre-existing folder, because Windows considers that this folder is being opened in the programme EVEN…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Video quality in PDFs should be better

Videos shouldn't be integrated as Flash in 2020. There are better standards from HTML5.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. File-size Preview

Seeing the estimated file-size preview prior to export taking place would be a huge benefit, when trying to hit a certain file size limit.

At least begin by allowing for file-size preview for files up to, say, 50mb? Then as time goes on, improve this feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. PDF tags are lost when placed in InDesign

When I place any PDF in Indesign (and this I do very often), which include pre-created accessible PDFs, the tags go away and the complete exported Pdf becomes inaccessible and tag-less.
    The only tag that I get in the exported PDF is <Figure> tag.
    Com'on adobe you can do better than this

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Preflight warning of unlicensed stock / watermarked images from CC Libraries

When publishing Preflight could warn of unlicensed stock / watermarked images from CC Libraries that are visible in the document.
    This would help prevent such mistakes from making it into the final published version.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Interactive PDF with validated (a.k.a. pre-formatted) fields

In inDesign, the PDF dialog really needs to have all of the functionality when formatting interactive fields as Adobe Acrobat Pro does.

I try to set up my interactive forms in inDesign for ease and efficiency of workflow, but when my manager asks me to "create them as validated fields" (i.e. the phone number is pre-formatted to be a 10 digit number input only, a SSN is also formatted to be a 9 digit number only, etc.) then I have to add another step in the process by re-doing the interactive fields in Acrobat, which is a major headache and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Include Spread Rotation in PDF Export and Publish Online

When exporting/publishing as spreads, allow us to "include spread rotation" and display those properly in the online viewer and PDF export.

I have a calendar layout with most of the spreads rotated for proper viewing. I've always exported as spreads and rotated manually in Acrobat for the client but I can't do that when publishing online.

A simple version of this would apply only when exporting spreads ie: where the result of 2 8x10 pages is a single 16x20 page which is then rotated per the ID view settings.

A truly complete solution would need Acrobat/Reader the ability to show…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. PDF Tag Preview

PDFs have to be tagged properly for ADA compliance. It would be nice to be able to preview (in InDesign) what the tag structure will look like when exported to PDF. This would prevent having to return to the source file if there is inappropriate nesting of tags, incorrect tags, etc. This would be especially helpful with complicated (multi-level) lists.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. MultiCore

Let the Export Engine Part for PDF's use Multicore,
    to process big render heavy files with transparence effects better.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Placed pdfs lose accessibility and all the tags have to be re-created

When I import or place my pdfs and then export my indesign file all the tags disappear in the exported pdf. This is really annoying as all the tags have to be created again.
    Get my tags back , all the accessibility tags which the pdf had before.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. make meta data optional on pdf export

PDFs are often very large when you use a lot pictures that includes meta data. After export you can clean the PDF by deleting meta data.
    Please allow to ignore meta data when exporting PDFs.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Crop Marks In 100 Percent Black

Please add the capability to produce crop marks in 100 percent black. In the 2019 printing industry, not having this feature accessible is mind boggling. While there may always be a need for offset printing along with crop marks in registration builds, to ignore the needs of the growing digital printing market is a grave oversight on Adobe's part. Print shops are losing enormous amounts of money in click rates by not being able to produce a true black and white side with crop marks. This especially affects four color over black printing.

From 2013 to 2018, the digital printing…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Use the Articles tab to designate the reading order in a PDF

When creating an accessible PDF, InDesign should use the Articles Tab rather than the Layers Panel to structure the Reading Order. It reads properly but once you check the accessibility, the "Reading Order" panel shows a MESS. It's based on the Layers Panel which is madness to try and re-structure when creating a large form with hundreds of form fields. The Articles Panel is needed to set the tab order anyway. This would make the most sense to me.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Sync PDF Export Options

It'd be great to sync custom PDF export presets in Creative Cloud. Right now, PDF presets are saved locally, so they are not accessible across different devices. If Creative Cloud synced these settings, it would be very helpful for productivity across different machines.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Checkbox (general) option: Always use Indesign filename when exporting

Please add a tickbox in Indesign's general preferences (file handeling?) or as a option when exporting to PDF to "Always use current indesign filename". Our PDF exports always need to be identical to the Indesign file name since we handle specific coded. As of now it sometimes uses a random name for the PDF from an previous version or even from a totally different document I worked with the day before. We have accidentally overwritten PDF files from older documents because of this, causing a lot of confusion and backtracking on what went wrong.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Search Function in the Button and Forms Action

In the Button and Forms Action add Search Function for pdf. This would be very helpful for multi page interactive pdfs, eliminating the manual addition of a search button, which gets overwritten after every new export out of InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Placed pdf loses interactivity features and accessibility tags.

When PDFs are placed into an InDesign layout and then the entire layout is exported to PDF, the placed PDFs are converted to <Figure> tags in the final PDF.

There are many time when designers must incorporate an existing PDF into their documents, such as:

-- Multi-page PDF of an existing document.

-- A pre-made PDF AcroForm

-- In annual reports, an official letter from a president, commissioner, or other authority.

-- In financial reports, the required letter from the accounting firm as well as the financial balance sheets.

In these above cases, the placed PDFs are official documents that…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    What all things would you like PDF to retain? (alt text, tags and what else?)

Currently when PDF is imported, its imported as a single graphic.

Would you want the tags and alt text to be mapped to their correct assets in InDesign? and those tags and alt text be also editable from within InDesign after PDF is imported?

Or should they be remapped and restored once the document with placed PDF is again exported to PDF from InDesign?

Would want to know more about the proposed solution / workflow

Thanks

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base