1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Rename Hyperlink

Add the 'rename hyperlink' option to the 'edit hyperlink' window. I find it essential to identify hyperlinks by their names. But I often edit them. After I edit a link, and I want to rename it to better identify it, I have to open a new window just to rename it. This is quite inefficient.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Migrate, Export or Sync all Preferences and Settings

I find it absolutely UNACCEPTABLE that Adobe has yet to create an easy, reliable and fast way to export/import ALL InDesign preferences and/or settings to another computer.

Really can't believe that I have to follow a guide and do it manual. Still can't understand why you have this great products and a lack of intelligence to provide easy support, easy backup, easy sync, easy FAQs and all that. You're a mess, Adobe.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use data merge field to export filename

I have created 3 different invitations with a personalized company name on it, coming from excel with data merge. And when I want to export it as .jpg, it is not possible to export : invitation_VIP_<<company>>.jpg

now I have a list of "numbers" which i have to browse on which company I have to send my vip voucher to, instead of using the explorer search to find the company name that I need.

Conclusion : I need a way to export JPG (and maybe PDF) files using the data merge feature.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Updates to Import PDF Comments feature

1. Need to be able to (Command + C) text in comments to copy. The copy button is laggy as hell and a time suck.

2. Need to be able to change a comment from delete to replace or vice versa.

3. Need to be able to edit comments in order to fix user error. For example. misspelling or extra text (delete comma) etc.

4. Need to sort and filter resolved and accepted comments.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Convert PDF to INDD

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC can edit PDF's read images and text, and it is possible to edit, so why is this function not available in Adobe Indesign? Indesign has more control and the only feature that will needed to be added is detecting strokes/filled objects converting filled lines or shapes to one to the other.

189 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. GPU-Acceleration on Windows

It would be brilliant to have this as an option especially since more and more people are using high DPI/4K displays and the CPU is not capable of allowing for smooth zooming/scrolling/panning in most cases. It's working perfectly fine with Photoshop and rather good with Illustrator so I can't see why this shouldn't be possible with InDesign as well.
    On my 4K Dell XPS 15 it's quite a pain to scroll through the document or zoom in and out, laggy as hell although this is a very poweful machine!

112 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fitting Content - Define Zoom Percentage

Add a feature to let me define the Zoom percentage instead of just the standard selections. Example, an 8.5x11 from a manual has margins. If the manual needs to be printed smaller, having to place every page into a defined size requires touching every page instead of just enlarge/reduce to a specific size.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Can we PLEASE have a better way to manage saved search queries?

I'm a very heavy user of InDesign's ability to save specific search-and-replace queries, especially for GREP. But every single time you folks do a major update to InDesign, my custom saved search-and-replace queries (GREP, Text, Glyph, Object) go away. I've taken to backing up the .xml files with my backup software and manually restoring them after each program update, but something has changed in the last version, and simply restoring them to the applicable folders no longer restores them to the program Find dialog listing. I've got more than thirty mission-critical GREP queries alone. Re-writing them from scratch each major…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Multi-Column Footnotes with note seperator

Multi-Column Footnote Features

+ note seperator (optional)
    + #cols - number of columns (no default)
    + col_measure - measure or width of each column, default is width of logical
    page divided by #cols, optional
    + gutter - gutter width for each column, default is proportional
    calculation of col_measure, optional
    + indent - width of a left indent for whole set of columns, default is
    zero, optional
    + leading - conditional lead to be inserted at the top of new set of
    columns, default is zero, optional

Legal: Text paragraph and table modes

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bettter error handling. Stop resorting to hard crashes every time indesign encounters a problem.

Been using InDesign since it began. It completely/suddenly crashes/unexpectedly quits more than ANY program I have ever used. This has been well over a decade on more than a dozen totally different (mac) systems. Some versions have been more stable than others, but the program is consistently crash-happy.

I honestly don't mind that it has some issues—it does a lot and we ask a lot of it, I get it. But what I mind is how horrible it is at dealing with problems. Does it have to completely CRASH every time it gets confused? It's like it throws its hands…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Barcode creation in indesgin

Barcode creation in as per coral draw

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make PDF Commenting Panel consistent and better designed

1. In one place in the panel, it's called Accept. In the flyout menu, it's called "Apply Auto Edit."

2. Why did we suddenly start calling the checkbox "Resolve"? I know that's the term that Acrobat uses, but it's confusing. Especially, when it's located alongside a word called "Accept." You're making users try to figure out new nomenclature when the old words worked just fine.

3. The icons on the left of the panel are way too subtle. In Acrobat, they are color coded. Replace text is blue. Strikethrough text is red. Sticky notes are yellow. Underlines are green. Why…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I enter a date i.e. through date picker, ID handles displayed output

I am running into the same problem for years: In program brochures spanning a whole year with 200+ events and multiple references throughout the brochure, clients provide wrong information (i. e. wrong day of the week for a specific date or a wrong year).

How about this: In a text frame or table cell, I could have a date picker or I´d write down every date in the same format, say like this: [DD.MM.YYYY] (since I am in Germany that would be my local format). Through magic/witch craft, InDesign would recognize the variable as a date and handle it according…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Dynamic baseline related unit of measurement

Please consider the addition of a dynamic unit of measurement that relates to the document’s baseline. Such a unit will make it possible to express various parameters throughout the design as a multiplication or division of the document’s baseline.

We would for example be able to express a header’s leading as twice the number of baselines, or a paragraph’s space after in any number of baselines.

The unit’s relation to the document‘s baseline means that it’s dynamic: whenever you change the baseline, all values expressed in this unit will change accordingly. There will be no more need to adjust these…

94 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Anonymous responded

Hi All,

This indeed a great suggestion. I wanted to understand a little more about this request.

1. The way this request is described its majorly about figuring out how to change the various text attributes in a single step rather than having to change multiple styles to make that happen. It would helpful if you can mention which all attributes you all would want to be dependent on the baseline (space before/after, size, leading any other).
    2. Which kind of documents (magazines, brochures, books etc.) do you see this to be more important for you.
    3. Wouldn’t a similar method (not sure if we could base it on baseline though!!) for changing the layout also help, if you could define the sizes of objects in relation to the page size. Do you think extending this feature to the layout also makes sense.
    4. If you can share some files…

15. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Back button in Spellcheck

Please, Please, Please put a back button in the spellcheck. I have literally been waiting for this for years! Such a simple request. So Easy to add. Please do this!! Thanks!!!! :)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Generated captions match FULL IPTC from Photoshop

Hi.
    I’m trying to get those lines from Stock images I buy :
    <photoshop:Credit>byheaven - stock.adobe.com</photoshop:Credit> <photoshop:Source>93738394</photoshop:Source>

I found no way to do that in inDesign with the current caption tool.

But what became funny was comparing Photoshop’s RAW DATA info :
    <pur:creditLine>
    <rdf:Bag>
    <rdf:li>byheaven - stock.adobe.com</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Bag>
    </pur:creditLine>

with what inDesign gets me as XMP info :

</dc:title>
    <photoshop:AuthorsPosition>camera and album with old family photos</photoshop:AuthorsPosition>
    <photoshop:ColorMode>3</photoshop:ColorMode>
    <photoshop:ICCProfile>sRGB IEC61966-2.1</photoshop:ICCProfile>
    <photoshop:History>HASH(0x2d15488), HASH(0x2d15710), HASH(0x2d15740), HASH(0x2d15290), HASH(0x2d15770), HASH(0x2d15350), HASH(0x2d15428)</photoshop:History>
    <tiff:Compression>6</tiff:Compression>

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Recent Files pane usability problems.

The Recents Pane has serious problems for InDesign Book users. There are two main problems:

1. Not enough Recent files are listed.

The limited number of recent files results in ONE project taking over ALL the recent files every time you make an adjustment to the book, because EVERY CHAPTER becomes a recent file. In my books, there are often more chapters than allowed in Recents, so it's not even useful as a way to access chapters (which obviously is best done with the Book panel).

2. There is no way to manage Recents.

Realistically, there is NO reason one…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. PDF - importing Enhancement in Draging

Please try to include Import Options dialogue while dragging a PDF file to Document rather than Menu option and Place. Since we using multi-screens and Mac OS, it will be a very useful option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. InDesign, and all other CC apps, should be ported to Linux

Linux is more efficient and secure than Windows or macOS. It also often has greater hardware compatibility and resource management, which would be useful when dealing with large projects.

This would be valuable for many users seeking to get the most out of their hardware, or who work with 3D rendering tools best suited to Linux setups.

Adobe already has a Unix base with the macOS version - surely a Linux version isn't too much of a head-scratcher for the devs.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base