2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

150 results found

1. Master Page Specify Following Pages

When setting up a long document, there are often opening spreads and then different pages that follow, based on specific master pages. It would be useful to be able to define the master pages so that whenever Master Page A falls, B will follow, defined automatically. Much like paragraph style sheets, where one style always follows the others, you could set it up so that when you define a page with A, then B, C, etc. will be automatically set up.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Remove guides, select similar objects on whole document

Need to remove guides and select (edit) similar objects, like container boxes, not only on a spread but on the whole document.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ability to lock (and unlock) the order of documents in Book files.

Ability to lock (and unlock) the order of documents in Book files. In long documents with many chapters it is easy to inadvertently move a document in the book window.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Scrollable text frame feature.

Currently you have the option in the overlays panel, but it currently doesn't work. This is valuable for many design jobs where the client has to cull text to make the content fit into a specified page size. Particularly in PDF format, so if it's possible to make it work for all export formats, not just ePub and Publish online. Clients are still using PDFs so we need to make things work for them.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Traditional Book Focus

I write long traditional books with hundreds of black and white text pages. Adobe's focus as a graphics company may be why it misses some important issues for people like me. Editing hundreds of pages of text and incorporating feedback is extremely difficult.

To accomplish this I have to get the full layout correct with many chapters all in individual files and then create a PDF version of the book. of course, when viewed two up the pages don' align properly if I don't insert a blank page as the first page using DC. Simple fix, give me a proofing…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Do not like the new endnote feature. There needs to be an option to disable it when importing Word documents.

Endnotes needs an option to be disabled when importing long Word documents. Minimally, it needs an option to run-on the endnote text at the end of the document and dissociate the reference marker with the note text so that both can be formatted with the rest of the document.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. variable text date +1

Allow for text variable dates to have a condition add one to the date.

Monthly publication layout is usually done in the month prior to publication. The current options for text variable dating do not have an option to take the current month and add one to it for the date that appears.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. TOC Page number BEFORE and align number RIGHT automatically

InDesign has offered the ability to put the page number before the text entry in a generated table of contents for quite some time. However, if you have more than 10 pages, pages 1-9 don't align right (as they should - or if more than 100 pages, 1-99). It would be great if you could have that done automatically without adding a tab stop in the paragraph style and manually adding a tab before each page number.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Using Unicode Indic Devnagri Script Font for Automatic Page Numbering & Numbered Lists / Paragraphs,

Hello Team, I am from India, and obviously we have to work majority of the times with Unicode Devnagri Script Fonts, (I prefer to use the Adobe Devnagri Unicode standard fonts )

Then Major problem / issue while using Automatic Page Numbering & Numbered Lists / Paragraphs, is even though we apply the Devanagari script on the Page Number on Master Pages, the auto numbering still shows the ENGLISH Script in the same font, the same goes for the Numbered Lists

And it looks very odd when we have a List Typed in Devnagari script but its numbered in English…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Index that can find grammatical cases

Making index of names, ID can´t find anything else than basic names, not genetives, like Hovi/Hovin. Find and replase you can find names by putting ̭ "any mark"-marks of the end of the name, Hovi⋀$. Could you make ID better by fixing this problem for we finnish grammar using users :)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Book

I use indb files extensively. It opens short, large display and in middle of field. I make small panels, pull it below bottom file and move it. Why can’t we control its display like other panels ?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make the color of the hidden conditional text indicator match the color assigned to the condition

Currently, the color of the hidden conditional text indicator is orange. But why orange?why not something more useful? We are able to assign specific colors to each condition, so why not extend those colors to the hidden conditional text indicator as well? Right now, in order to see which condition is applied to hidden conditional text, we have to hover over it and hope that the tooltip pops up. Like this: http://documentgeek.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-to-see-hidden-conditional-text-in.html

But if there are number of hidden conditions, that trick doesn't work. At the very least, color-code the eyeball in the story editor. In the story editor, you…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Book :: Tell when someone else has a chapter file open on OneDrive

I know that if you store the INDB file and the INDD files on your server, InDesign allows multiple people to open the same INDB file simultaneously. In that case, the Book panel has a rudimentary feature that will tell you when someone else has one of the chapter files open. Can we add this functionality for people that work off OneDrive Locations? With every one working remotely we can't be VPN'd into servers due to file lag.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Being able to change Topic Levels in indices after they have been added to the index

After a topic has been added to the index, it’s no longer possible to e.g. move the current topic to Topic Level 2 and add a new Topic Level 1. Would be amazing if it was.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Improve handling of long footnotes

Handling of long footnotes could be improved in at least three ways:

1. Sometimes a footnote absolutely cannot start on the same page as its reference either because the given footnote follows so closely behind a very long footnote (or a dense cluster of shorter footnotes). Presently, InDesign simply stops setting text at that point, as it would when a hits a word it cannot fit into any subsequent frame in the story. Ideally such footnotes would be not only be permitted but be custom-labelable—e.g. “(from p. 17)”—but for now simply permitting such footnotes, elegantly or not, would be a far…
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. New Cross Reference > Showing Page number near the Paragraph Text proposal

Hi Guys !

Something that could be great in indesign is having the possibility of showing the page number corresponding to the Paragraph Text proposal, when we creat a new Cross reference.

For exemple, here I work with a big catalog of 500 pages, and 500 titles.

I need to creat a cross reference between intermediate TOC and the title,

But when I have MAny times the same title, it becames to be hard to test eache title to get the good page number

for exemple my search right now is :

TITLE OF PRODUCT
    TITLE OF PRODUCT (1)
    TITLE…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Making imported PDF edit more obvious in InDesign and fixing delays with mouse clicks

As a book designer who works with many long manuscripts, I do appreciate being able to import PDF edits into InDesign. That is a great new feature in the last few versions.

However, some edits are just too hard to spot in a spread. One can easily spot highlighted text (such as when the editors mark a phrase for deletion or replacement). But when the editors insert or delete commas and periods or choose a spot where they want to add new text, there is nothing obvious -- beyond a skinny, nearly invisible cursor -- to draw the eye. The…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Print the contents of the book window

I'm working on a very long document -- a book with about 300 component files (2-4 pp each). They're all in the book window... but once you're past two or three dozen files, the organization of the book window becomes difficult to view and comprehend. I'd like to print out the contents of the book window (PDF, CSV, spreadsheet, text, whatever) so that I can review what's there and see how best to organize it. The book window allows me to print out the book in different ways, and I can print portions of the book... but not that overview…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Windows within Pages Panel

When working on a long document, you may need to refer back to an earlier page for information or formatting consistency. An easy way to do this would be to allow for the Pages Panel to be subdivided into windows or views of the overall docuement. That way when you are at page 120 and need to look at 80, you could simply get 80 in one window and 120 and its adjacent pages in the other. You would then be able to toggle back and forth without having to scroll all the way up and down through the whole…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Live references to images/figures

1. I need each image to have a caption which begins with "Figure 1: blah blah" and if I move the image, the caption should automatically re-number. I think I have the automatic re-numbering working using paragraph styles, but doing that seems to prohibit the other things I need to do, such as...

2. I need to have each image coupled with an in-text reference, like. "As seen in Figure 1, blah blah blah." And if I move the image, again, not only would the caption re-number but the in-text reference to it would re-number automatically, too.

3. Finally, that in-text reference should…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base